Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Upgrade of Windows 10 impacting Edius 9 (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44224)

Haddock 01-11-2020 09:44 AM

Upgrade of Windows 10 impacting Edius 9

May be it is not a good idea.

Sometimes, it seems (not sure but I saw some testimonials) that havy upgrade of Windows 10 may have a negative impact on Edius.

A "sticky thread" managed by expert could inform us of the "good stability or not" of the last upgrade (with number reference) of Windows 10 depends on Edius.

Personnaly I don't feel the necessity of upgrade my PC's dedicated to production and it's a long time I have made a windows 7 upgrade (2019/05/06 - KB2970228). Never met a problem since this date.

Of course, any expert advice is welcome... and if this idea is valuable, a few words of the best parameters for "de-activation of automatic upgrade Windows 10" is also welcome.

Geoff_C 01-11-2020 11:31 AM

You are not going to like this.

New W10 update scheduled 15th Jan. Features 'new microsoft edge'

Maybe good time to backup/take system image.

Best of luck G.

Haddock 01-11-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_C (Post 327151)
You are not going to like this.

New W10 update scheduled 15th Jan. Features 'new microsoft edge'

Maybe good time to backup/take system image.

Best of luck G.

Is there a way to STOP upgrade ? (as in Windows 7)

Jerry 01-11-2020 02:50 PM

The best way to move to Windows 10 is by way of a clean install.
Buy an SSD specifically for this purpose and replace the existing system drive with the new SSD. It isn't particularly hard to do a
clean install. Just follow the prompts. If you are using a brand new SSD and not overwriting a previous install, it will be less complicated.
https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how...ll-windows-10/

Prior to doing the clean install, deactivate license for all products. Set aside an afternoon to do the install. It will take time. Download all of the drivers for your motherboard from your motherboard's
manufacturer's website. A clean install of Windows isn't that hard to do. It takes about 10-15 minutes. The time consuming part is installing all of the drivers and programs after Windows is installed.

If you can afford 2 SSD's, buy a second one that will become a clone of your finished system. If you buy Samsung
drives, you can download the free migration software from Samsung. I wholeheartedly recommend Samsung drives.
The migration software will work if the destination drive is a Samsung.

If you don't want to do this, hire a tech to do it. Otherwise, you can do the upgrade process yourself.

If you are running Win 7, it is time to move to Win 10. If you purchased E9, you can figure that E10 will be Win 10 only.

GrassValley_PS 01-11-2020 06:13 PM

Nothing wrong with Win 10 in the vast majority of cases. Most of us have used it for a long time with no "ill" effects.

THoff 01-11-2020 07:10 PM

The new version of Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium, the browser engine behind Google Chrome. Many of the complaints and issues that people had with the old Edge should be a thing of the past.

If you want to disable Windows Update completely on Windows 10, you will need at least Windows 10 Pro (the Home edition doesn't support Group Policies). If your system meets that requirement, you can configure Windows to get its updates from a fake (non-existing) intranet Windows Update server using a Group Policy. Windows will still periodically check for updates, but the update checks will never succeed.

antonsvideo 01-11-2020 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have built a brand new system with Win10, see specs in signature

you can download the latest Win10 1909 installer from Microsoft and it will create a USB for you (download the tool)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

then make a clone of your existing drive so you can at any time reconnect the existing drive if you wish

then deactivate EDIUS etc. on current drive

then disconnect all drives other than C and run the USB installer, it will see Win7 and will accept the serial, so no need to buy Win10

once the installer starts, choose the option to upgrade but keep nothing, this will wipe out the whole SSD during installation

once Win10 is fully installed, wait for a few hours while it does several updates in the background

then go to the mobo manufacturer and download all Win10 drivers and install them, these will be better than Win generic ones

then make a shortcut to Temp (New, Shortcut, %Temp%)

then make a shortcut to Win updates (New, Shortcut, ms-settings:windowsupdate)

now check for updates and when done, check again until there are no more

reconnect any drives you disconnected (if you had a stripe set created in Windows, you need to import foreign disk in disk management)

install Ultimate Win Tweaker 4.6 and disable all spying features and update sharing, see attached, If laptop, you may not want to disable camera or microphone)

then install Quicktime 7.7.9
then install EDIUS and all your other software

edver1 01-12-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 327153)
you can download the free migration software from Samsung. I wholeheartedly recommend Samsung drives.
The migration software will work if the destination drive is a Samsung.

I've did this not so long ago,from a OCZ SSD drive to a Samsung,and back ( back to another Samsung =>this was another installation to another PC ) ; it gave no problem.
Like Jerry mentioned = Samsung's are good !

David Clarke 01-12-2020 09:24 AM

Microsoft generally produce new big updates every 6 months so for most people it would be a real pain to do a clean install every time. I do but then I am a person who fiddles with systems a lot.

A lot of the time I find things are ok when there is a major update. With the update from 1903 to 1909 I have the feeling that it only works properly after a clean install. I also feel that it is better if the bios is set to UEFI rather than legacy in the bios. Most of my old system were set to legacy and after upgrade I was getting various odd problems all solve now on UEFI and a clean install.

Being a "system fiddler" I also know that my feeling about what causes a problem is sometimes wrong.

Not installing updates is not a good option IMO. If you don't install updates and the machine is on the internet then it might leave it vunerable to hacks. That is why Microsoft make it compulsary these days. If you are not going to put it on the interent then it won't update anyway, but if that is the case you could happily stay on Windows 7 as well.

Ron Evans 01-12-2020 02:28 PM

I am sure the best way is a clean install. However I have 4 PC's and a laptop, all now on WIN10. My Threadripper was a clean install WIN10Pro when I built it and twice caused a few glitches with updates. Cleared after a few updates and some patience on my part ! However it is the only AMD system, has 1080Ti and BM IP4K so different to the others that just have Intel CPU's with QS and no GPU or other cards in the systems. All the other 4 were updated to WIN10 by loading WIN10 from USB. Serial was recognized and it just updated with no problems. I did have clones of all the updated ones though just in case. Been several months now and they have all been fine and saved a lot of reloading of programs some of which I may not have now.

Some programs require WIN10 now so upgrading is not always a choice. If you are not on the internet and happy with the capabilities you have then stay that way until you make a new system is an option.

This PC ( 3770K ) I do my email and WEB browsing was of course my editor of 5 years ago so has a lot of stuff on it from that time. It upgraded with no problems and has been running great since then with better performance than with WIN7 .

Did the same with the 4790K that has CS6 on it so did not want to go through all the issues of reloading and getting registered etc. When upgraded it had EDIUS 8WG, CS6, Vegas 12,13,15 as well as Resolve Studio 15. TMPGenc 4,6 TWA, DVDLab2.0 and others. Went smooth like the others with no problems to date.

Keep a clone and try the upgrade would be my choice. If you have problems then you can go to the full clean install. As David has said change to UEFI though before you do. Then update the drivers after the upgrade from your motherboard etc WEB sites. Others have done a lot more than me but my experience with my PC works fine. My local PC shop also prefers the upgrade this way as it saves them a lot of time too of course. They do many systems a day this way and say that now the process is mostly error free. Not completely of course but then you just accept the clean install.