Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who is using Windows 10 ? Is it safe to upgrade now? (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37626)

tryingtolearn 04-07-2016 12:54 AM

Who is using Windows 10 ? Is it safe to upgrade now?

Hey guys,
I did try Windows 10 about 6 months ago and there were problems,
although I did get Edius 6 to work, I had windows crashes and iTunes problems as well as Asus sound card issues

6 months later I have purchased Edius 8
Both my main desktop and main laptop keep harping 'upgarde to windows 10 now'

I've heard the Apple issue as well as Asus issues have now been fixed.. won't know about the crashing until I bite the bullet and upgrade

So who on here has Windows 10
any problems with Edius 8?
Any problems with any other creative programs you use?
Other comments?

antonsvideo 04-07-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryingtolearn (Post 273732)
Both my main desktop and main laptop keep harping 'upgarde to windows 10 now'

go to control panel, uninstall programs
click installed updates on left
find KB3035583 and uninstall
reboot PC
disable automatic windows updates
you will never be bothered again and Win7 is great in case you did not know

tryingtolearn 04-07-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 273733)
go to control panel, uninstall programs
click installed updates on left
find KB3035583 and uninstall
reboot PC
disable automatic windows updates
you will never be bothered again and Win7 is great in case you did not know

- Anton - thanks for this tip. I have 3 client videos I urgently need to get out before the weekened and don't want to deal with windows 10 harrassment lol..

- You seem personally quite anti-10? Is there a reason? Or is it just that you like 7 because Edius didn't support 10 for so long? I'm suprised at how late in the game many companies came on board supporting.. As mentiond Asus and Apple were in no rush either.. Adobe was one of the quick ones

I LOVED the interface of 10. THought it was spectacular. I am keen for the upgrade but NOT YET>>> not right now..

Would love peoples feedbacks though
PS ANTON - should I install Edius 8?? I bought it a month ago but have not installed...

antonsvideo 04-07-2016 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryingtolearn (Post 273739)
- Anton - thanks for this tip. I have 3 client videos I urgently need to get out before the weekened and don't want to deal with windows 10 harrassment lol..

- You seem personally quite anti-10? Is there a reason? Or is it just that you like 7 because Edius didn't support 10 for so long? I'm suprised at how late in the game many companies came on board supporting.. As mentiond Asus and Apple were in no rush either.. Adobe was one of the quick ones

I LOVED the interface of 10. THought it was spectacular. I am keen for the upgrade but NOT YET>>> not right now..

Would love peoples feedbacks though
PS ANTON - should I install Edius 8?? I bought it a month ago but have not installed...

I have Matrox hardware (MX02) that is the best you can get for analog or digital SD or HD capture and playback with EDIUS and Matrox refuse to make Win10 drivers

also, I totally dislike the flat look of Win10 and the way they hide common tools and settings that I need daily

I will use Win7 until EDIUS no longer works with Win7

tryingtolearn 04-07-2016 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 273741)
I have Matrox hardware (MX02) that is the best you can get for analog or digital SD or HD capture and playback with EDIUS and Matrox refuse to make Win10 drivers

also, I totally dislike the flat look of Win10 and the way they hide common tools and settings that I need daily

I will use Win7 until EDIUS no longer works with Win7

It is more customisable than 7 though Anton
I loved it until I had to uninstall it
It lets you create a drop down easy menu

SoundFreak_HD 04-07-2016 06:11 AM

Windows 10 works fine, still has some quirks like windows explorer confirmation or info pop up windows hiding behind other windows which is at least to say anoying.

I still feel there is not that much to gain if upgrading from 7 which I still prefer for sentimental reasons.
Windows 10 flat look similar to Edius 8 is very fast boring to look at, after using it for months now I don't hate it anymore and certain enhancements are nice in windows explorer and settings some are more hidden and anoying to find, still no one place adjust all settings......maybe next life.

As Anton has mentioned not all companies are on the win 10 wagon and while most hardware ware (including some very old legacy stuff) works great, some new hardware doesn't have drivers yet or maybe never will.

In short there are some pro's there are some con's if on win 8 already I would upgrade in a hart beat, for 7 users I'm not thoroughly convinced about the need to do it.

Also, I have yet to encounter major issues with corupt boot files etc which eventually will happen one day when tinkering too hard, no idea yet how hard it will be to repair serious issues like I used to do in win 7.

If you love the flat look of Edius 8 then the upgrade to win 10 is less of a head ache.

Should you go ahead and do it........I feel it's a very personal question only you can answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a positive side note I have to report that recording multi track audio (16 tracks or more) is very flawless using external firewire audio interfaces while it once in a blue moon glitched on win 7.........

antonsvideo 04-07-2016 06:31 AM

it is no secret that I also dislike the flat look of EDIUS8 and the impossible to see track dividers and the grayed look of selected clips and poorer quality audio waveforms

SoundFreak_HD 04-07-2016 07:19 AM

Edius reflects the flat look design guidelines of win 10.
While not that obvious to see when you are not familiar with new software win 10 dividers and sliders are better to differentiate than Edius 8.
Still, to have to look and try to find something while it used to be obvious childplay is not an improvement in my book but then so we're bell bottom jeans or mullet necks and permed hair :)

I really pity users with eyesight issues, it's much harder for them to navigate windows.
Have you seen the high contrast look for visually imparted users of windows 10 ?
It's even worse than in 7.

I think much has been said about the flat look design and we users who are not happy with it should get our way again in 5 to 10 years from now when a young designer, freshly hired at Redmond invents the all new awesome bezel looks.......

antonsvideo 04-07-2016 07:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
lets compare the following, 7.52 and 8.11

pay attention to the missing baseline in the audio waveform, the hard to see keyer track transitions when keyer track is selected, the impossible to see track dividers, I can go on all day

tell me which look you prefer as an editor who cuts at least 8 hours a day

kpot 04-07-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 273762)
lets compare the following, 7.52 and 8.11

pay attention to the missing baseline in the audio waveform, the hard to see keyer track transitions when keyer track is selected, the impossible to see track dividers, I can go on all day

tell me which look you prefer as an editor who cuts at least 8 hours a day

Two translations (Google and PROMPT) of german sayings (with respect to all editors who love the new 8-GUI):
"Of the person will is his kingdom of heaven."
"Man's will is his heaven."
// My English isnt as good to translate that better.
// Personally I hope that 8.2 will enhance the GUI.
Regards kurt