Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Slip edit operation - as in Final Cut? (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43576)

terrytk18 07-14-2019 05:27 PM

Slip edit operation - as in Final Cut?

Hello Forum

Excuse the Apple reference above! There is a handy feature in Final Cut named 'The Slip Edit' and probably in some other advanced editing packages which appears absent in Edius 9 trial version.

With Final Cut a slip adjustment is made within a single clip, whereby you select a different part of that clip to include in the sequence while maintaining the same clip duration and timecode location in the overall sequence. Surrounding clips are not affected and the sequence duration does not change.

It appears that this slip edit is not the same as Slip Edius version in that the Edius version is limited to the cut point only and not to the length of the particular clip.

Hope I have explained the question clearly. Thanks.

GrassValley_PS 07-14-2019 10:28 PM

Hold Ctrl and Alt then click on the clip in the timeline. Dragging will slip the clip with full range of the original clip as the choice.

GrassValley_SL 07-14-2019 11:47 PM

I could be mistaken but I think the OP is after crtl+alt edit. :)

terrytk18 07-15-2019 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I tried it but only get a black preview window with no clip footage visible.
Any further suggestions?

Thanks again, Terry.

P.S. what do you mean by "OP"?

GrassValley_PS 07-16-2019 01:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Atttached are 2 pics of what happens after you hold Ctrl and Alt and click on the clip. Note that the 2 single Red brackets are on the ends of the same clip facing each other. Make sure you place your mouse on one of the ends of the middle clip (the one to be slipped). You will see that 4 monitors appear on the EDIUS monitors (see the second pic).

The first one on the left is the last frame of the clip before. The second from left monitor is the In point of the middle clip and the third clip is the Out point of the middle clip. The last frame to the right is the first frame of the clip after.

As you slip the clip you will see the In point and Out point of the middle clip (2nd and 3rd monitors) change to reflect the clip slipping in that same duration space.

GrassValley_PS 07-16-2019 01:37 AM

OP stands for "Original Poster"

antonsvideo 07-16-2019 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mostly use the , and . keys (comma and dot) after selecting clip with Ctrl+Alt, see video attached

GrassValley_SL 07-16-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrytk18 (Post 322583)
Thanks for the reply Steve,

I tried it but only get a black preview window with no clip footage visible.
Any further suggestions?

Thanks again, Terry.

P.S. what do you mean by "OP"?

Hi Terry,

Pat has explained it. I do have to ask one question tho. Are you using single or dual view mode?

terrytk18 07-16-2019 11:01 PM

Thanks for reply updates :)

Thanks you Steve, Pat and Anton for your clear and helpful advice.
The slip editing is working fine - I'm using dual mode. I have 18 days left of the free trial version and been very impressed with Edius 9 and your gracious help.
Terry

GrassValley_SL 07-17-2019 10:56 AM

Hi Terry,

Glad you are enjoying EDIUS. There are a lot of nice people on the forum . They share and help. :)