Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   HD sata vs ssd for editing. (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43394)

Vladiciu 05-25-2019 02:06 PM

HD sata vs ssd for editing.

Hi everyone, I use edius 8.5 latest version, for now I have windows 10 pro edius 8.5 and all the various applications, on a ssd 128 gb and I am fine, I put the video files in a hd sata 1tb and the projects and cache in another HD sata 1tb.
I was wondering if it's worth using a 1tb SSD instead where I can put video files avchd / mts full hd!
Would I have any advantages or would it change a little?
some friends have tried and say that it doesn't change much between sata and ssd with regards to video files, they say the right thing or are they wrong?
thank you

Jerry 05-25-2019 03:03 PM

Depending on the cache/speed of the 1TB drive, you may or may not be getting the max throughput that has been reported on some drives to be north of 230MB/s. More than likely, you are somewhere in the 75MB/s to 150MB/s speeds.

As that drive fills, it will begin to slow down. Past 50% full, it becomes noticeable. With an SSD, you can get in the 550MB/s read and write speeds. It too, will begin to slow when full, but it won't be as noticeable.

Every file on a faster drive will benefit from the increased throughput. Some, more than others. I prefer raids. I get storage and speed.

Your other option is an M.2 drive. These are blazing fast and in some cases, cheaper. There is a price to be paid for the speed. You eat up to 4 PCI-E lanes. Your system will be the restriction as to whether or not you can use an M.2 drive.

I would also consider getting a little larger OS SSD. I know my 256GB OS drives are much faster than my 128GB OS drives. Likewise, my 500GB OS drives are faster than my 256GB OS drives.

Depending on the brand, you can get a 1tb SSD for around $90-$150. Last week Sandisk had a 1TB SSD for $89.

Vladiciu 05-26-2019 08:47 AM

ok

Thanks friend of your precious information, so it is certainly worth a hd ssd instead of a sata.

Haddock 05-26-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladiciu (Post 320916)
Thanks friend of your precious information, so it is certainly worth a hd ssd instead of a sata.

I share my experience that SSD a real big progress to edit especially when a lot of files are used. It is really night to day. Don't hesitate.

Vladiciu 05-26-2019 09:01 AM

ok

Thanks also for your friend's advice.

Jerry 05-26-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladiciu (Post 320916)

Both drives are SATA. One is mechanical HDD(moving parts) the other is an SSD(no moving parts).

Vladiciu 05-26-2019 03:08 PM

f

Thanks very mutch

Vladiciu 07-05-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 320919)
Both drives are SATA. One is mechanical HDD(moving parts) the other is an SSD(no moving parts).

I'll be back on this topic, if I take a 2 tb hd sata 3.5 and then convert mts files to canopus codec, would I have more advantages over a 1 tb hd ssd with native mts files, or not?
thank you

Liverpool TV 07-05-2019 12:23 PM

Regardless of the type of video file and even if the bitrate of what is being used falls within the speed of a mechanical drive. An SSD will always have far superior access times.

BUT. Be very careful with SSDs for large file movements. When moving large amounts of data about, most SSDs will become slower than a good mechanical drive. You will see the data rate for the SSD shoot really high at first, usually within its caching, and then fall off very quickly.

I've seen this happen when moving loads of small files, were the speed has dropped right down to a few megabytes per second.

This happens on many brand name drives as well. I've had most success with Samsung's EVO drives, both SATA and M.2/NVMA, although slowdowns beyond the caching can still happen.

For manipulating a few GB at a time, transfers etc. Nearly all SSDs will be fine. Although many SSDs will slow after so much data has been written to it, sometimes less than 50%. This can be partly due to certain caching operations using the NAND.

Vladiciu 07-05-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool TV (Post 322306)
Regardless of the type of video file and even if the bitrate of what is being used falls within the speed of a mechanical drive. An SSD will always have far superior access times.

BUT. Be very careful with SSDs for large file movements. When moving large amounts of data about, most SSDs will become slower than a good mechanical drive. You will see the data rate for the SSD shoot really high at first, usually within its caching, and then fall off very quickly.

I've seen this happen when moving loads of small files, were the speed has dropped right down to a few megabytes per second.

This happens on many brand name drives as well. I've had most success with Samsung's EVO drives, both SATA and M.2/NVMA, although slowdowns beyond the caching can still happen.

For manipulating a few GB at a time, transfers etc. Nearly all SSDs will be fine. Although many SSDs will slow after so much data has been written to it, sometimes less than 50%. This can be partly due to certain caching operations using the NAND.

I want a 1tb ssd where to put all the fullhd mts files and then edit them with edius 8.
therefore an ssd and surely better than a sata maccanico at this point, and I will be able to edit more quickly, I do not have to move big large files but all clips of the duration of 30/40 seconds then we speak of 700/800 MB / bitsec at most.
thanks for your advice so I will buy a 1 tb ssd ssd and I will go on the safe side.