Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   A patch for Firecoder Blu in EDIUS 6.5 (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27367)

sitosson 08-16-2012 08:55 AM

A patch for Firecoder Blu in EDIUS 6.5

My question is would it cost Thomson much to continue to support products that they were so eager to sell before as Firecoder blu.
As the situation now is we're back to square one. Sll of us who bought Firecoder thought we did something good and that FCB was future proof, but it turned out that when Thomson can not make money on a product they stops to support it.
The situation now is that all of us who bought FCB can not upgrade to EDIUS 6.5.
I and many with me think that Thomson would continue to show customer friendliness by creating a patch for EDIUS 6.5, so that we can continue to use the FCB it's not too much to ask.

Thomson would show that even past customers are worth to give support

John Lewis 08-16-2012 09:15 AM

I would agree with that
FCB still works as astand alone, It was one of those products that would save having to buy a sandy or ivybridge PC if using H264
Possibly not enough sold by GV to warrant the development
but another few years would help
Im sure when Edius 3D trial was going it still worked for some of the trials issued

Jerry 08-16-2012 06:51 PM

Just so you know, Thompson has nothing to do with Edius now. Grass Valley is a stand alone company.

shueardm 08-17-2012 12:59 AM

Grass Valley regrets making FireCoder Blu, they gave up, too hard.
My suggestion is to use exclusively with Video Mastering Works 5 in an older PC for network encoding, this in fact works very well.

beardedboss 09-02-2012 12:15 AM

agreed

This is the one thing that is preventing me from upgrading from 6.07
I spent like 400 pound on the Firecoder and feel like I won't haven't had my monies worth if I have to ditch it for an upgrade.

I ask the engineers to please consider to make a driver for the Firecoder.

I use it all the time to export to Bluray and H264 HD files that I upload to youtube.

I will be willing to pay for the driver if needs be in anycase if they can't do it for free.

THoff 09-02-2012 12:48 AM

Their time would be better spent supporting acceleration via CUDA or OpenCL.

NVIDIA and AMD are putting a lot of effort into making their GPUs into GPGPUs and are cranking out faster cards all the time. The cards are priced much more attractively than dedicated cards and most users will have a much easier time justifying a new video card every two or three years.

I recently spent about $300 on a new NVIDIA-based video card and it can transcode Blu-Ray video to iPad-compatible H.264 at about 25x realtime without bothering the CPU much.

antonsvideo 09-02-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardedboss (Post 190721)

I ask the engineers to please consider to make a driver for the Firecoder.

I think you need to dig a 6 foot hole and hope you can revive them

John Lewis 09-02-2012 03:17 PM

As much as i agree with you
The customer is no longer King

GrassValley_BH 09-04-2012 07:04 PM

Just like in your own businesses, customer is only king to the point that the business can survive and prosper. This is one of many reasons I don't have my own business anymore... my wife said I was "too nice." hehehe.

John Lewis 09-04-2012 09:25 PM

As we say here in UK
"Her indoors"- "she who must be obeyed"

Although it no longer exixts here now
When i got married the word "obey" was part of the vows
I can get away with it.