Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Exporting a video in mp4 with Timecode and date of recording (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43996)

Haddock 11-10-2019 10:40 AM

Exporting a video in mp4 with Timecode and date of recording

Hello,

There is a mistake in the title of the thread "with Timecode and the clock (hours-minutes) of recording

I have been in the field to record in UHD a process during several days.

I will derush (clean the genuine clips only in "cuts")... and then transmit a "light" MP4 to the site manager of each day of recording with the time code
... BUT I would like to have also the hour and minutes (clock time) so the manager can do the best choice in relation to his field notes.

Is there somwhere in Edius 9.5 a parameters to display simultaneously these 2 informations and export it ik the MP4.

Thanks for help

DigitalDave 11-10-2019 10:51 AM

I dont think that is possible. it may be possible to manually overlay with NewBlue FX clock- never tried it.
NEXT TIME set your timecode to Free Run and use the time of day as your source.

Haddock 11-10-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalDave (Post 325757)
I dont think that is possible. it may be possible to manually overlay with NewBlue FX clock- never tried it.
NEXT TIME set your timecode to Free Run and use the time of day as your source.

Thanks, I will try

Haddock 11-10-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 325760)
Thanks, I will try

In fact I don't understand how to parameter. Does it mean that Timecode will be replaced by clock ?

GrassValley_SL 11-10-2019 02:51 PM

Think outside the box. Do 2 exports. On with time code and one with recording time/day and timcode
Export one with time of day for example.
Put it over the original footage
Mask the top layer so that only the meta data is visible. Now export with all the info you requested.
Make sure to set the timecode to timecode again.
A bit of work but you are getting paid after all. ;)

Note forgot to add that recording: time is not available on all formats .
If you find it is not available the New filer is a good suggestion.
You have to add it on a colormatte for example and export whit the clips before you start you clip selction or you should leave the clips you selected add their absolute timeline position. But you risk the possibility of letting people look at long periods of black with clock.

BernH 11-10-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 325761)
In fact I don't understand how to parameter. Does it mean that Timecode will be replaced by clock ?

Hi Yvon,

Dave's suggestion for "Time of Day" tmecode is often standard practice on film shoots. Essentially the timecode counter is set/used as a 24 hour clock that uses the digits as the same HH:MM:SS:FF, but instead of counting from 0 they are aligned with the time of day. A timecode of 18:23:54:12 means the video was shot at 18:23:54 in 24H clock time or 6:23:54pm for a 12H reference.

This way you will have coincident/unique timecode for syncing, and it represents the time of the day that the footage was shot and one timecode clock serves 2 purposes.

If you are shooting multiple cameras and sound recorders, it is best to sync them all using a sync box or feeds from a master "time of day" timecode clock, although it is also common to use a sound recorder as the master clock source and sync the cameras to that using sync boxes or as the very least a "jam sync"

Haddock 11-10-2019 03:29 PM

Thank Steve,...

How can I : "Export one with time of day for example." Is this in replacement of the date "Timecode" proposed in the export parameters ? And if yes, where can I validate this ?

Sorry I am lost.

GrassValley_SL 11-10-2019 03:43 PM

https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/manu...html#gsc.tab=0

Set the timecode to rec time. If it is not available for your original asset you will have to use something like the Newblue Clock filter and set that start time and framrate manually.

DigitalDave 11-10-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL (Post 325768)
https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/manu...html#gsc.tab=0

Set the timecode to rec time. If it is not available for your original asset you will have to use something like the Newblue Clock filter and set that start time and framrate manually.

Also you would have to change the position.
I have just checked and the clock is in NewBlue Elements and works a treat. You would set the time in NB, at the start of each clip to the start time ie 15.30.25
That said, I dont have ANY boxes to think outside of, all recycled but if every clip was in its own sequence, you would set the EACH sequence code to the correct time of the clip and export showing THAT sequence code.

DigitalDave 11-10-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernH (Post 325765)
Hi Yvon,

Dave's suggestion for "Time of Day" tmecode is often standard practice on film shoots. Essentially the timecode counter is set/used as a 24 hour clock that uses the digits as the same HH:MM:SS:FF, but instead of counting from 0 they are aligned with the time of day. A timecode of 18:23:54:12 means the video was shot at 18:23:54 in 24H clock time or 6:23:54pm for a 12H reference.

This way you will have coincident/unique timecode for syncing, and it represents the time of the day that the footage was shot and one timecode clock serves 2 purposes.

If you are shooting multiple cameras and sound recorders, it is bet to sync them all using a sync box or feeds from a master "time of day" timecode clock, although it is also common to use a sound recorder as the master clock source and sync the cameras to that using sync boxes or as the very least a "jam sync""

Every pro camera I have owned over the past 30+ years has a CLOCK setting that uses the clock setting set up in the camera and on many shoots we will jam sync from one source.
LIGHT relief- A couple of years ago I was putting together a promo for a Raunchy Burlesque Cabaret show. The lovely slightly camp producer suggested the next shot should be from an "orgy", (it was a dance with a lot of steamy floor movements). Looking at the Clock Timcodes in the bin and seeing one with a TC that started 15:45 he proudly suggested,"David, how about we try the quarter to four orgy". We were both in hysterics and just at that moment, my wife came home poped her head through to say "Hello"and neither of us could speak any sense to tell her what was so funny. Ah Clock Timecodes....