Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   vista ultimate/premium (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8093)

jimstamos 10-02-2008 03:59 AM

vista ultimate/premium

is there a difference betweent the 2? the dell xps im looking at comes with vista premium 64bit

swsw1550 10-02-2008 05:44 AM

Vista Ultimate has a few extra features such as Windows DVD Maker, Follow this link to the features of each suite. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/default.aspx

Cheers
Steve

antonsvideo 10-02-2008 08:17 AM

I like it how they ticked Easier networking connectivity... on all 4 versions

I find that way easier on my XP PC than on my Vista laptop, I nearly ended up with grey hair trying to get a simple home wireless network happening, the same was dead easy in XP

swsw1550 10-02-2008 08:25 AM

That's strange Anton, Vista is a lot easier to setup than XP, Wireless is even easier my friend. I think once people get use to vista they should be wright, it's getting use to the different interface that I find puts a lot of people off it.

Cheers
Steve

antonsvideo 10-02-2008 08:38 AM

yes, maybe I need to get used to the interface, I have only had it for 4 weeks and I am still getting annoyed about silly changes from XP such as the many new sections of event viewer and the automatically disappearing/reappearing +icons in front of folders that have subfolders, what an animation disaster, that makes me angry each time, so far I have not found a way to kill this annoyance, I killed many others already

Ron Evans 10-02-2008 10:52 AM

I too have turned off most things I could find but the thing that is still puzzling for me is that I can easily access files on two win2k PC on the network but can only get files off one hard drive on my old editing PC which has XP . THe other 4 hard drives seem to have exactly the same sharing setup!!!!! I would love to just turn off all the wonderful security measures!!!!!!

Ron Evans

antonsvideo 10-02-2008 11:05 AM

I pasted the 26 character 128bit WEP security key for my home network

Vista dis not accept and told me I need to use 5 or 13 characters

I said get lost

this went on for hours

I finally typed the 26 characters and Vista accepted and it worked

so, what happened to the 5 or 13 characters

it appears, copy/paste is not allowed and one must type, possibly to improve my typing speed which I know is too slow

Rusty 10-02-2008 07:43 PM

Don't worry, our computers will soon be moist and chewy like cake so we can just eat 'em while we're working.

Mac users will be envious, and we will run 3 instances of Edius while we do the laundry.

wags 10-03-2008 03:11 AM

Ha ha funny clip.

I got Vista Ultimate running on a play machine and find after turning as many things as I could find off it still uses around 500megs just at idol. There must be still more things to find as the CPU usage keeps moving as well in the task manager. Apart from that it's running pretty good.

My main XP machine sits on about 186 megs in the task manager at idol.

What ever you do, never buy an off the self brand name system with VISTA installed, it's best to do it yourself. My wifes laptop came with VISTA and boy was it a nightmare and still is, very close to formating the drive and reloading VISTA again from scratch. Why do they put all that rubbish on them?

STORMDAVE 10-03-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 51519)

What ever you do, never buy an off the self brand name system with VISTA installed, it's best to do it yourself. My wifes laptop came with VISTA and boy was it a nightmare and still is, very close to formating the drive and reloading VISTA again from scratch. Why do they put all that rubbish on them?

Not only that but they do not provide a disc of Vista so you can install from scratch! They let you restore it from a second partition but it puts all the garbage back.

Vista will always eat more RAM on idle. You just have to live with it and buy more RAM (it's cheap!).