This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Edius and Windows 11 and the license manager

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about trying out any configurations with Edius and Windows 11.

I've just started testing various configurations of hardware and software with Windows 11. The first setup was Windows 11 ARM running in a VM on an ARM host. The ARM version of Windows emulates X86 for typical X86 binaries.

Edius 9 went on fine and the online activation was fine. Before trying Edius 10 in this configuration I tried to deactivate 9. The license manager complained about me trying to deactivate an off-line activation, although the activation was online. Because the license manager was insisting that I had to do an offline activation, I tried that but the offline deactivation failed when running the executable.

As it stands I have now lost an instance of the license activation as I've had to change the hardware and software configuration of the test rig.

I've not tried my native X86 configurations yet but I'd be cautious if you are thinking about doing similar.

I've got in touch with Michael at Edius.net and have asked if there are any known issues with Edius and Windows 11 running ARM with its X86 translation/emulation, in VMs and native X86. I will post back when I've got some more information.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

UPDATE.

Edius does not support Windows 11, here’s the response from Edius support “there is no official support for windows 11 nor ARM hardware platform yet

With that news, it’s easy to see why there may be more issues coming up for Edius users who are inevitably going to be trying out Windows 11. What a pity this post was moved from the part of the forum where it should be. How a serious Windows problem is seen as something that should be moved to the part of the forum for “Compatible Third Party Products” makes absolutely new sense to me.

Seriously, this post is about the license manager and Windows 11, both intrinsic and fundamental aspects of Edius’ operation. There’s even posts on the main forum about third party encoding software, Handbrake, and even posts asking about sales info for used Edius software, yet a legitimate post about Edius’ license manager and the OS that it runs on gets moved to here????

I wonder if all the other posts talking about Windows compatibility and the Edius license manager are going to get moved here?

Anyway, if whoever moved this post thinks that it’s a good idea to have this serious information effectively hidden from where people can easily see it and where they’d naturally look for it, then fair enough.

If it were me, I’d have some warning, maybe a temporary sticky on the main forum informing people of the inevitable license issues and more, that they are doing to have if they start using Edius with Windows 11 before Grass Valley update it for compatibility. Plus, I’d imagine that it’d probably help Edius.net support if Edius users were forewarned and weren’t getting in touch and using up valuable resources and time asking for avoidable re-activations. But hey, this obviously all makes sense to someone.

Anyway, for anyone who manages to find this post because they’ve run into issues with Edius and Windows 11 or are thinking about installing Windows 11, I hope it’s helpful.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

That's a bit over the top isn't it? Windows 11 was announced a few days ago and won't be out until probably October - we don't even know that. Of course, EDIUS does not support it yet. Surely anyone even trying Windows 11 beta will expect it to not work.
      EDIUS silver certified trainer.
      Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
        That's a bit over the top isn't it? Windows 11 was announced a few days ago and won't be out until probably October - we don't even know that. Of course, EDIUS does not support it yet. Surely anyone even trying Windows 11 beta will expect it to not work.
        I suppose those of us who are power users and working on the bleeding edge would be expecting something different. Windows 11 has been in beta for ages and other NLE software is compatible with it. So no, those of us who are expecting Edius to be competing with its peers would be expecting it to work, of course we would.

Whatever it is that you think is over the top, is ill informed and irrelivent. Knowing that people will be immediately wanting to try these things out, it’d be more beneficial for GV to warn Edius users of the incompatibility issue.

Comment

Power users know the risk of using beta Operating systems. They fix their problems and know that some software will have issues .

So windows 11 with EDIUS is use at your own risk and there is no support for it currently.
          Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
          EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
            Power users know the risk of using beta Operating systems. They fix their problems and know that some software will have issues .

So windows 11 with EDIUS is use at your own risk and there is no support for it currently.
            Power users do indeed know the risks but the curious usually don’t. That’s why a responsible software company would give warnings and it’s also why posts like this exist, to warn others.

Comment

Yes don't use beta operating systems with EDIUS X if you use EDIUS X for production. Everybody has been warned.
              Until we announce support for Windows 11, it is use at your own risk.

To all "Power users" happy experimenting. :)
              Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM.
              Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
              EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                To all "Power users" happy experimenting. :)
                And good luck to GV in their efforts to get Edius compatible on time with at least one of its intrinsic dependencies this year. Maybe taking notes from the “Power Users” is a good starting point. :)

Comment

I'll guess I'll be a regular user who edits stuff rather than plays with new toys that even the makers say are not ready (hence beta), as well as being "ill informed and irrelevant".

When I posted about Windows 11's announcement on my facebook the reponse I got was "I'll use it a year after it arrives when it might actually be ready, you can have lots of problems if you want". He was talking about Windows 11 not EDIUS.
                  Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                  Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

I'll guess I'll be a regular user who edits stuff rather than plays with new toys that even the makers say are not ready (hence beta), as well as being "ill informed and irrelevant".

When I posted about Windows 11's announcement on my facebook the reponse I got was "I'll use it a year after it arrives when it might actually be ready, you can have lots of problems if you want". He was talking about Windows 11 not EDIUS.
                    Seriously David, I’m playing with toys am I? Well, if that’s where you’re going with this, then yes, you’re better off being a regular user seeing as other uses for Edius didn’t quite work out so well for you.

Or better still, why not just leave a post alone that didn’t need your commentary. Seriously, using the opening gambit of “That’s a bit over the top isn’t it” then moving on to insulting a seasoned Edius user with your line about playing with toys, is seriously only going to illicit a certain type of reaction.

As for taking advice from Facebook, do you really need me to tell you how futile that is?

For anyone else reading this post, the point of it is very simple. It’s a warning to other Edius users to be very careful of using Windows 11 which is now readily available to test, as there are issue with it and the Edius license manager.

I don’t understand why anyone would want argue against or criticise a post that’s here to help other Edius users and one that’s had verification from Edius support of the issues at hand.

Go back and read the start of this post, it clearly says heads up. I then go on and describe in fair detail the issues. I wasn’t criticising Edius, I was simply making people aware of something that’s not yet come to light and something that should be seen as help by way of a warning.

Seriously, I don’t understand why anyone would not agree that it’s a good thing to be warned of an issue????

Comment

If I was trying Windows 11 before it was released I would not be surprised if things do not work. It is useful to have a post on the forum somewhere confirming this, I just think your general tone was over the top for something that most people would not be at all surprised about. The quote from Facebook was just one users reaction to hearing Windows 11 was coming.
                      As for insulting you, I do not want to get into a slanging match as it serves no point, so I won't be posting anything else on this thread.

Comment

If I was trying Windows 11 before it was released I would not be surprised if things do not work. It is useful to have a post on the forum somewhere confirming this, I just think your general tone was over the top for something that most people would not be at all surprised about. The quote from Facebook was just one users reaction to hearing Windows 11 was coming.
                        As for insulting you, I do not want to get into a slanging match as it serves no point, so I won't be posting anything else on this thread.
                        My general tone was over the top? What a load. There was no tone until you started posting needless commentary. As I’ve already said, the post was a warning for other Edius users, where the hell was any tone in that. You’ve read something completely wrong and simply imprinted whatever it is you’ve wanted to see. Maybe think next time.

Comment

Once again, we have to close a thread because someone starts insulting someone. This gets old and is going to STOP,
                          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Working...
                          X