Magic Bullet Looks 14 not usable Edius X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be offended, but this shows that.

Edius software is a professional looking amateur software and is not considered by major plugin companies. For this reason, Edius has never had a structure that can properly use the software produced by these companies (Boris FX, Sapphire, Magic Bullet, Digital Film Tools, FilmConvert etc.) without the need for a bridge. In other words, Edius developers are not capable of writing code that can use OFX plugins.

Sad but true!

Please also forward what I wrote to them.

Comment

You can pretty much guarantee that when ever someone says, "Don't be offended..." that an insult is coming. I do not know if English is your main language, so maybe it is unintentional, but your insinuations are insulting. So far you have insulted us for your speculation that we are not reporting things, you have insulted the engineers for not being able to code, and insulted people that have used this "amateur" software to make a living. This is much like someone saying, "Didn't anyone test this?" after a new build comes out and a bug is discovered. It's Insulting to the people that donate their time to test. Chances are it was discovered, but for whatever the reason it was not fixed.

As Steve said all legitimate requests are reported. Believe me, no one has pushed to have more things added/corrected than we have. Some days it is a discussion, some days an argument. There are a myriad reasons of something not being done...not enough resources, not enough money, low on the overall priority list, changing one thing causes problems in another, difficult/impossible due to previous coding, changing markets, fitting in overall scheme of the company, etc., etc. A perfect example is that one day in Japan (and yes we actually go there to discuss EDIUS), I told a person making decisions, "Listen to me on changes/additions, I know what I am talking about." He laughed and replied, "Funny that is the same thing everyone else says when they want something".

You saying the same thing over and over or saying something very loudly does not make it happen. It just gets annoying. There is nothing that I have seen in your posts that has not already been brought up and discussed. We absolutely know and understand there are legitimate gripes (as I said no one has pushed some things more than we have), and we all get frustrated at times. But there is no need to be insulting.

And I will give you a very simple reason that a lot of third party companies may be hesitant to spend much time on that you have neglected to mention/think about. For whatever reason, EDIUS users don't tend to buy a lot of additional plugins. We have talked to third party companies AFTER they have written things for EDIUIS and look at the sales numbers and many times the numbers are not worth their efforts. Everyone wants something Free.

We will continue to do our part to work and push for additions and making things better. Please do your part to not be insulting to people that are trying to help. Also, this is not going to turn into a for or against thread. A question was made and answered. Let's move on. If anyone feels the need to vent further please PM Steve or myself. I always feel sad when I have to occasionally type one of these posts. :-(
      1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Version 4.0.2 of Magic Bullet Looks is working for me and all of my customers so far with EDIUS X.
        You can download it from here: https://www.redgiant.com/support/ins...-bullet-looks/
        EDIUS certified trainer | DaVinci Resolve certified trainer
        Video tutorials for video editing and music production (German)

Comment

I would like to weigh in here on this topic. I am not as invested in Edius as I once was. The pace of improvement has slowed and honestly, I have lost a fair amount of hope for future improvements. Having said that, Edius is great software with great people and my main editor. It just appears resource constrained. When I read threads like this, I find myself agreeing with the plaintiff most of the time. Kind of a forest through the trees look but lets be straight, the support for third party plugins has always been poor with Edius. That is just a fact. I know the internal folks at GV try really hard to make Edius as good as it can be, but it is what it is.

Pat, to make the statement that somehow the Edius users are to blame for the lack of plugin support is very forward imho. I have yet to see a single plugin from a major plugin entity work 100% up to potential inside Edius. Why purchase something when it is not working as intended? Chicken and the egg. I have owned Boris Red for many years and that program has always had areas that plain do not work inside of Edius. Same with Neat Video not operating at 10bit. I was ready to purchase Neat Video 5 until I discovered it was still going to be held at 8bit. As a loyal user, It is glaringly obvious when one goes to a plugin website like Film Convert and every major NLE is listed for support except Edius. That speaks loudly on its own. They have an OFX version, but does that work 100% in Edius?

I know this is a hot topic but release after release we get the message "go talk to the vendor, it's not our fault". Well, enough time passes and it makes one think it is never in the cards. The impression from my perspective is that GV has an inflexible structure that is not friendly to the way plugins are used with every other NLE. Why they can not change is really what is up for debate here. Same thing goes for GPU acceleration to some extent. I fully expected Edius 10 to have plugins and GPU areas sorted out but it appears to be similar to previous versions.
          Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            The impression from my perspective is that GV has an inflexible structure that is not friendly to the way plugins are used with every other NLE. Why they can not change is really what is up for debate here.
            Here is the source of all problems.

I've been questioning this from the beginning but I don't get a clear answer. When I speak a little harsh, I am insulting.

Major plugin software companies produced two types of plugins when NLE came out. Adobe After Effects and AVID compatible. Because one of the leading programs as NLE software and the other as compositing software. Later, a third structure emerged: OFX (Open FX). NLE software companies that want to integrate the codes that can use this type of plugin into their own programs and offer them to their users. Magic Bullet Looks, which we talked about here as an example, produces plugins in all three structures. So when I buy the version for AE, I do not pay a separate fee for OFX and I am entitled to use it in every program running OFX. And I want to use it in Edius.

But that's where the trouble starts. Edius software developers need to solve this job by themselves, but they want a bridge software from another company (NewBlue) for themselves. They also offer OFX Bridge as an add-on. But it does not support all OFX plugins and does not make an effort to fix this. So, just because I'm using Edius, can't I use OFX plugins with their proper and up-to-date versions? How could this be my problem. It either fully supports or not at all. Would less of that be more? Could there be an explanation that this is what we can do?

Here's what I'm questioning: Why can't Edius have a structure to run OFX plugins (and updates as well)? If it cannot do this, there will never be a famous NLE software in this industry.

See attached picture, who is not in the list of compatible programs?

(PS: Pat, my native language is not English, so some of my sentences may have been misunderstood.)

Let me also definition, that if Davinci Resolve makes multicam editing easier, Edius will lose a lot of customers. (Editing / Compositing / Audio Editing / Color) as well as half the price of Edius, including a very useful interface and advanced realtime effects.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sorcerer; 12-18-2020, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
              ...There are a myriad reasons of something not being done...not enough resources, not enough money, low on the overall priority list, changing one thing causes problems in another, difficult/impossible due to previous coding, changing markets, fitting in overall scheme of the company, etc., etc.
              I understand from what Pat said: Grass Valley bought Edius and incorporated it, but it does not provide enough financial support for software development and is acting like a stepchild. Edius developers are also suffering from this and trying to do their best. Am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
              X