Neat Video interlaced clip in progressive project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat Video interlaced clip in progressive project

I have interlaced clips in a Edius9 progressive timeline. When I apply neat video, the interlacing seems to mess up Neat, and I get comb effects (which look terrible).
    The Neat video manual says there is a "check" to select interlaced for a clip.
    I've looked and searched everywhere I can think of, I can't find any such selection (it tells me the clip is progressive (which it isn't) but I can't change it).
    Does anyone know how, in neat video, to select interlaced for a clip in a Edius progressive project? Driving me crazy
    Edius 9.51 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
    New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

Firstly neat video needs to go before the layouter. This might get you a decent denoised clip without combing.

Secondly Neat Video thinks the clips is progressive because you are in a progressive project so the first thing EDIUS does to a clip before any effect is applied is to deinterlace it. You cannot stop EDIUS doing this so the only way to set Neat video to interlace would be to change the project to interlace, then process the Neat Video by doing "render and add to timeline", then changing the project to progressive. This should not give you a combing pattern.

EDIUS' deinterlacing is not very good, however, so you are still likely to get "steps" on diagonals. The only real way to improve this is to de-interlace outside EDIUS and then load the clips you make into EDIUS for editing. The latter is what I tend to do but it is more effort.
    EDIUS silver certified trainer.
    Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Thanks for info.
      I did have Neat first in stack, so that was not a thing to try.
      Your explanation is very helpful. I misinterpreted the Neat manual to say that one could select interlaced or not for each clip. That turns out to not be right.
      I had started to export the interlaced clips to make them progressive, and then add them back to the timeline. That was working pretty well, but your approach may be more straightforward. I'll give it a try.

Do you have a recommendation for a deinterlacing program (to do the deinterlacing outside of Edius)?
      Thanks again.
      Edius 9.51 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
      New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

Comment

The best is QTGMC which is a plug-in for AVIsynth and can be a pain to set up. I found a GUI which includes this called "STRAXRIP" but it is still a pain. A simpler option would be virtual dub. These are free options. Looking at something which is easier to setup I could suggest TMPEG Mastering works, which you have to pay for, although there is a free trial.

It depends how much of an edit you have done and how many clips you have as well. It is quite easy to do the whole project as interlace, make an interlace GV HQX file and then deinterlace the result using any of the above, but if you want de-interlace the original clips and then link to the deinterlaced versions so you can then use Neat Video etc, it gets more complicated.
        EDIUS silver certified trainer.
        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Great info. I can now sort out best approach for this project, and for going forward.
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X