TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS 9 Workgroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS 9 Workgroup

Currently, there is the TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS Pro 8, which users said that it works on Workgroup as well.

I'm considering purchasing it for my new i9 build (since i9 doesn't have quick-sync) but wanted to ask if anyone knows if it will work with Edius 9 or should I wait for news about this.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...

I doubt it will work because the makers have always released EDIUS specific versions

example: The EDIUS7 plugin does not work in EDIUS8
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Ok, thanks. I also asked them about it and will wait for a response.

What I can't understand is, if a plugin can make export as fast as Quciksync, meaning it's software (code) based, why can't Edius themselves make Edius export as fast as QS without 3rd party plugins (figure out the code). It would give another reason for clients (like myself) to spend the extra money on Edius 9 upgrade instead of third parties.
      Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
        I doubt it will work because the makers have always released EDIUS specific versions

example: The EDIUS7 plugin does not work in EDIUS8
        I installed the trial. WOW there are many settings. Even the GOP setting has a string of a million characters and not just a 4 character setting we use in Edius.

I always used your setting guides for Mpeg2, DVD, etc... did you ever make a guide on the TMPGEnc H.264 plugin settings?

Comment

I exported 20 seconds of video from EDIUS 8.52 Workstation. H.264, 25000000 bps Here are the results:

EDIUS export (with Quicksync) = 7 seconds.
          TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS Pro 8 (NORMAL mode) = 40 seconds.
          TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS Pro 8 (FASTEST mode) = 20 seconds.

The quality of even the fastest mode is suburb in VLC.

For some reason, you can't drag the exported mp4 file that was exported via the plugin, back into Edius. This is strange!

20 seconds vs 7 seconds... this doesn't seem that fast. What's so special about this plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by zvit View Post
            I installed the trial. WOW there are many settings. Even the GOP setting has a string of a million characters and not just a 4 character setting we use in Edius.

I always used your setting guides for Mpeg2, DVD, etc... did you ever make a guide on the TMPGEnc H.264 plugin settings?
            no, I have not because I don't have the plugin
            Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              no, I have not because I don't have the plugin
              Won't you need it when you upgrade to a CPU that doesn't have quicksync anymore? I feel like I'm the only one freaking out about losing the ability to export 5 times faster than I'm used to.

Comment

I exported 20 seconds of video from EDIUS 8.52 Workstation. H.264, 25000000 bps Here are the results:

EDIUS export (with Quicksync) = 7 seconds.
                TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS Pro 8 (NORMAL mode) = 40 seconds.
                TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC for EDIUS Pro 8 (FASTEST mode) = 20 seconds.

The quality of even the fastest mode is suburb in VLC.

For some reason, you can't drag the exported mp4 file that was exported via the plugin, back into Edius. This is strange!

20 seconds vs 7 seconds... this doesn't seem that fast. What's so special about this plugin?
                have you tested exporting time with EDIUS exporter without quicksync? since the latest version exports now faster
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Won't you need it when you upgrade to a CPU that doesn't have quicksync anymore? I feel like I'm the only one freaking out about losing the ability to export 5 times faster than I'm used to.
                  The plugin is not designed to replace QS. If you actually looked in the options, you can do QS export through the plugin.
                  TMPGE PLUGIN.png

The plugin is there to give options to the Edius exporter that are not available natively. If you don't need these options, don't buy it. If you don't want to use X.264 instead of H.264, don't buy it.
                  If you plan on buying it, wait until the Edius 9 version is released.

Yes, I actually own the plugin and have since Edius 7. I also have the MPEG plugin as well. I didn't buy the plugin on the premise that it was going to be faster than quicksync. I bought it because of the output quality it produces in lower bitrates.

There are several beneficial features that are available with the plugin.
                  1. You can set the file for streaming(you can't do that within Edius)
                  2. You can export a sequence marker list at the time of export
                  3. Multiple audio options on export
                  4. If you intend on using a 5.1 audio mix in an .mp4 file, TMPGE is the only way you will be able to have the files exported in the correct channel order. This is a bug in Edius.
                  5. Oh yeah, dual pass export.

There are quite a few more. Go to the website and read what it can do.

I know you can get faster than real time when exporting 4K files using a 10 core and the plugin.

The plugin is due some updates and I expect that with the Edius 9 version. Hopefully, some of the options in MW6 will make their way to the plugin.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I also asked them about it and will wait for a response.

What I can't understand is, if a plugin can make export as fast as Quciksync, meaning it's software (code) based, why can't Edius themselves make Edius export as fast as QS without 3rd party plugins (figure out the code). It would give another reason for clients (like myself) to spend the extra money on Edius 9 upgrade instead of third parties.
                    I sent them an e-mail last week and their response alluded to no plans for a plugin at this time... I do not know what this means but I told them how important the plugins were to many here on the forum. Let's hope there is a way forward.
                    Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by More4K
                      Is this on i7 3770k 3.5GHz? Not sure why your signature says 8cores. It's 4 cores, 8 threads processor, which is very different than 8 cores CPU.
                      Was a mistake fixed it. Thanks.

If you "scale" this to 12 cores i9 then it should match QS.
                      Yes, it might match QS on a 4 core but that's not the point.
                      I'm not buying a $1,100 CPU to match my current 3770k speed.
                      If QS is giving me exports 4x faster than the base speed of my current 3770k, I would like to also get exports 4x faster than the base export speed of the i9 7920X (with plugin).

So if the 3770K base speed exports 1hr of video in 4 hours without QS...
                      and exports 4x faster with QS (1 hr)...
                      And the i9 7920X base speed say would export the 1hr clip in 1hr (matching my current QS), I'd of course want a way to speed that up 4x.

Also- if you want to test it properly 20sec is bit to short.
                      I'm also not sure if you used very fast preset. This should be inside detailed settings for x264.
                      Didn't check detailed settings. If there is a faster setting with same quality that can match the QS speed, this would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Now I only have to figure out why I can't re-import to Edius the clip that was exported via the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                        The plugin is not designed to replace QS. I didn't buy the plugin on the premise that it was going to be faster than quicksync.
                        I don't want it to replace QS and don't need it to be faster than QS. I want it to export as fast as QS, or at least allow a CPU with no QS at all - like the i9 7920X, to export faster like it would have IF it DID have QS.

What do you mean it has QS? The X.264 means QS? Don't understand the connection.

Comment

Also- if you want to test it properly 20sec is bit to short.
                          New test (2K), 5 min clip. Raw video, no transitions, filters or anything applied.

Export results:

Edius H.264, QS on:
                          01:45 min.

Edius H.264, QS off:
                          11:02 min.

TmpGenc plugin Format: H.264, Encoder: X264
                          performance = normal (didn't see any detailed setting other than this)):
                          14:52 min!

TmpGenc plugin Format: H.264, Encoder: X264
                          performance = fastest:
                          04:22 min.

The question is, what does the "performance" mean in the setting of the plugin? Does it mean quality? Also, why can't you re-import the clips back into Edius?

If anyone here has an i9 (any version), please tell us your export times.

Comment

It's not that easy to export way faster than QS using CPU. QS was made for this task- it's dedicated chip which does just decoding/encoding.
                            4:22min on your machine means probably 3-4x less on i9 12 cores, so it should be faster than QS.
                            Yes, i know it's a separate chip on the die of the CPU.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the QS chip has it's own base speed - no matter what CPU it's on? So one day (maybe even now with the i9 7980xe) the CPU speed itself will out race the speed of the QS chip? Meaning, that if this would be the case, and the i9 7980xe cores WOULD export faster than the QS chip, it would be the reason it's not needed anymore? This I can understand.

Go inside x264 settings and find preset. Use veryfast or ultrafast. Hmmm...this may not exist.
                            No, it doesn't exists. (attached screenshot)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Render speed is in the 'Performance' drop down box in the bottom of your screenshot, also I notice you have AC3 audio selected instead of the usual AAC for MP4. I wonder if this why Edius won't accept it?
                              Claire

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

Comment

Working...
                              X