Edius to X264 & X265 via TMPEGenc Video Mastering Works 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius to X264 & X265 via TMPEGenc Video Mastering Works 6

Here's a link to a zip file containing a short Edius edit that's been encoded to various resolutions and bitrates using X265 and X264 via TMPEGenc VMW6. The test was to specifically gauge the differences between X265 and X264 at very low bit rates.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x34w8q..._X265_TEST.zip

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

no video on x265

why do I have audio w/o video on the x265 files?
    same result with win 10 media player and win 10 movies & tv.
    once it's encoded, an mp4 is an mp4, right? Edit: OK, I forgot that mp4 is a wrapper.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 10-23-2016, 04:49 PM. Reason: mp4 is a wrapper
    Harris
    edius pro 8.2, win10 pro x64, i7 5930K @ 4.4 on asus X99-A usb3.1, corsair h100i gtx with noctua fans, 32G gskill ddr4, gtx 980 4G, system 256G samsung ssd 950 pro M.2, swap 128G samsung ssd 850 pro, general use 512G samsung ssd 850 pro, video 4 @ 3T WD red pro in raid 5

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
      why do I have audio w/o video on the x265 files?
      once it's encoded, an mp4 is an mp4, right?
      H.265 is a newer codec and may not play on certain media players. Try VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

win 10 defaults will not play x265

yep, VLC will play both of them. thanks.
        pretty sad that neither win 10 program will play the x265s.
        Harris
        edius pro 8.2, win10 pro x64, i7 5930K @ 4.4 on asus X99-A usb3.1, corsair h100i gtx with noctua fans, 32G gskill ddr4, gtx 980 4G, system 256G samsung ssd 950 pro M.2, swap 128G samsung ssd 850 pro, general use 512G samsung ssd 850 pro, video 4 @ 3T WD red pro in raid 5

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
          yep, VLC will play both of them. thanks.
          pretty sad that neither win 10 program will play the x265s.
          If you're looking to use the windows mediplayer try giving the shark007 codec pack a go http://shark007.net

I've used this in the past and it was great. It basically adds codecs to what would otherwise be a closed system (modern MS WMP). In my previous use, it would suggest that the added codecs/filters are contained within WMP and do not interfere with other applications on the system.

I wouldn't usually recommend codec packs due to potential interference with other Windows' systems, but the shark007 install never gave me problems in the past.

Comment

1 Mbit 264 better than 265 ?

I don't have a very good eye for this, but on the 1 Mbit, the 264 looks better than the 265. Example: at 00:12, left center, the black edge at the water - more shaking of the black on the 265.
            Harris

Comment

Yes, it's an interesting comparison. Although they're matched as close as I can get them for bitrate etc. There isn't the huge difference that I would have expected, considering all the so called advantages of h.265, regardless of the very low bitrates. Maybe it shows how good h.264/X.264 really is?????

Comment

I may have misinterpreted what h.265 was supposed to accomplish. I thought is was supposed to give the ability to give the same quality as h.264 but at a lower bitrate and file size.

The H.265 1080 file size was more than the h.264. I can't see any difference between the quality of the two 1080 files on a 30" 2560x1080 monitor. Both showed the same good and bad points.
                I played them in both the Windows 10 Movies and tv app and VLC.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com
                If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Thank you for taking time and effort to make the comparisons Dave.
                  At a quick glance I am not seeing any noticable difference either.
                  However I will take a closer look later in the week.
                  Regards
                  Douglas
                  Creator of Video Tutorials for mere mortals at https://www.gaijin-eyes.com

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Thanks Dave. I too do not see much difference. I agree with Jerry as what I have heard is that h.265 is supposed to yield way smaller file sizes while retaining image quality.

Maybe a good test would be to create a 2Mbps h.264 file and make a series of h.265 encodes with decreasing bitrates from 2Mbps. Then compare to see how far you can get away from the h.264 file while retaining the same image quality. Some motion in the video might be a good test as well.
                    Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Tim, look at the water in the lower left side. Both display encode problems. Taking it lower would make it even worse.
                      Plus, there is a time factor that we haven't mentioned. Encoding to H.265 will take longer.
                      Dave didn't mention the time difference between h.264 and h.265 on the 1080 versions.
                      Jerry
                      Six Gill DV
                      www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Yes, I agree, the h.265 is not looking too good from a forward progress point of view. The test would debunk the hype or maybe the TMPG implementation needs some attention?
                        Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

I was also very surprised with the apparent lack of obvious difference.

Although I get the point of using movement, as Jerry has pointed out there is a lot of water movement in the dock. Plus a lot of very fine detail in most of the backgrounds.

I had already done some progressively decreasing bitrates and these didn't show too much difference between the two codecs. The bitrate of 2Mbit is very low for a 1080 picture and is at the point where you start seeing encode artefacts, especially in the water. This is where I would have expect to see the obvious differences, but they both appear to be very similar with h.264 holding up surprisingly well against h.265 with the water, as far as the amount of artefacts.

I used the very slow setting and 2 pass VBR. I can't remeber the actual encode times as I batched them and went for a drink. But on other tests, X265 takes a lot longer than X264 when matching their encode parameters as close as they can be.

From what I've tested over the last couple of years, I doubt I'll move from h.264 as I don't see the obvious advantage to h.265, especially taking on board the much slower encode times and problematic playback compatibility. I've also tested UHD and seen very similar results. Maybe the advantage comes with high motion content? Although if that were the case, it would make sense that h.265 should have been obviously better with locked off shots at the very low bitrates.

I've seen blurb on the web that suggests h.265 is twice as efficient at the same bitrate, I personally question this. As it stands, I can't see any obvious gain in efficiency in these examples, and at certain points on certain clips, while I do appreciate the obvious encode errors at these very low bitrates, it even appears that h.264 makes a slightly better attempt at the water.

Comment

Thanks for doing the tests Dave.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV
                            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Yes, thanks Dave. Nothing beats primary information!

Comment

Working...
                              X