SRT files for Open Caption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRT files for Open Caption

I client is sending me a 9 min. video and a SRT file. He does some of his editing himself, but says the SRT file gets out of sync. Wants me to do Open Caption, burned sub-titles. The person who did the original SRT isn't around any longer.

I have Vistitle and Edius 5.51 and 7. Can I move the sub titles in Vistitle to fix the sync. etc. And can I burn them in.
    Edius7, 4790K, 16G, Win7, GTX970ti MatroxLE
    2nd Sys.,Edius5.51, 2700K, 16G, GTX1060, Win7
    Atari 400
    JohnFellersProd

Alright, I found Handbrake takes SRT files. Nice. And I can adjust the offset. I set the offset to about a sec. sooner. The subtitles are right on.

But, I needed a Burn-In. For some crazy reason if you bring in your own SRT file, the Burn option is not there. Good grief. So I found a software called Vidcoder that uses the Handbrake engine. It has the burn-in click box. Crazy, but it works great.

So I"m going to tell the client in the future to just send the video file and the SRT file for his Open Captioning. This will help me buy more wine and beer.
    Atari 400
    JohnFellersProd

Comment

I make many mp4 with Handbrake where I add srt files that I created with Aegisub (free)

in Handbrake, tick the middle box only (Burn in)

the boxes are confusing because they are on the right of the description instead of the left
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Aegisub is worth a look.
        If your captions are all "out" by the same amount, you can move them all together either backwards or forwards in time.
        Aegisub is one of those often overlooked applications that is extremely useful for all types of subtitle creation and manipulation.
        This video tutorial of mine can get you started, https://vimeo.com/150154210

Regards
        Douglas
        Creator of Video Tutorials for mere mortals at https://www.gaijin-eyes.com

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

If you have Vistitle you can edit the .srt file and export a clip with the title burned in all from within Edius.
          Vistitle SRT import and editing.png
          Last edited by Jerry; 10-15-2016, 04:09 PM.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
            I make many mp4 with Handbrake where I add srt files that I created with Aegisub (free)

in Handbrake, tick the middle box only (Burn in)

the boxes are confusing because they are on the right of the description instead of the left
            That's the box I was looking for. For some reason, yesterday, I couldn't see it. When I Booted up my computer this morning, it showed. So rebooting should be on my list for crazy actions not happening.
            Atari 400
            JohnFellersProd

Comment

Thanks Douglas and Jerry. Some good info. Will try this next time.
              Atari 400
              JohnFellersProd

Comment

So only Edius 7 and 8 has the subtitle editor? Can I import SRT files in my older 5.51 computer? I do have Vistitle.
                Last edited by JohnnyD; 10-15-2016, 07:45 PM.
                Atari 400
                JohnFellersProd

Comment

If you have Vistitle in 5.51, and that version of Vistitle offers that feature, it should work. I can't remember what was available in the first release. Vistitle 1.6 definitely has it.
                  Last edited by Jerry; 10-15-2016, 09:37 PM.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Just tried Aegisub. Great program. I like the nice black shadow on the fonts. But when I went to Save As, it only gave me an .*** extension. *** didn't work in Handbrake. So I exported via Aegisub to SRT, bit I lost the nice drop shadow.

It's been said SRT is very basic. Doesn't have the bells&whistles of .***.

My next test will be with Vistitle.

Haaaa, I got censored. .*** won't pass to forum. It means A, add S, add S.---- AASSSS extension
                    Atari 400
                    JohnFellersProd

Comment

Johnny,
                      There are numerous caption formats listed under "Export" in Aegisub.
                      I use different formats depending on how I am going the add the captions later.
                      I don't use Handbrake, so maybe Anton can tell you what format he is using from Aegisub to Handbrake.

By the way I meant that Aegisub is very good for quick and simple caption creating and timing. I maybe mislead you when I mentioned "basic"
                      It is actually one of the more advanced FREE caption applications available.
                      But you need to study and practice before you can use the many features.

Regards
                      Douglas

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Johnny,
                        Here is an older tutorial of mine showing how to use Boris RED with the files created by Aeigisub. This method "burns in" the captions (Open Captions) as opposed to "Closed Captions" which can be switched on or off.
                        Even though I am showing it in Media Composer, it will also work in EDIUS.
                        Of course if you have Vistitle and not Boris RED - then Vistitle is the obvious choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8UQQx5YyRw

Regards
                        Douglas

Comment

Douglas, thanks for the link. Might try that next time.

Actually, I'm cheating somewhat. I'm really producing Open Captions. Instead of buying real Captioning software with the roll-up on black bars,etc, I usually use old TMPro on my Edius 5.51. I copy and paste from a text file that is given me. I use a heavy black edge in TMPro so it's easy to read. No complaints.

Seems TMPro is faster in some ways for Open Captions.
                          Atari 400
                          JohnFellersProd

Comment

I get a nice dropshadow after my Handbrake encode

I export to srt in Aegisub
                            I import the subtitle.srt in Handbrake and tick Burn in only
                            Attached Files
                            Anton Strauss
                            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

That looks good Anton. But sometimes my client shoots outside with a lot of white buildings, walls, etc. I like the extra thick black edge on TMPro. It's easier to read.

Wish Handbrake could take A-S-S files. You can get more black in Aegisub. But once it's converted to SRT, it's no longer there.

Maybe I can do the same in Vistitle when I try next week. Hoping I can burn-in right on the timeline.
                              Atari 400
                              JohnFellersProd

Comment

Working...
                              X