DVD WS2 in Win 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD WS2 in Win 10

I have just upgraded from Win 7 to 10 and find that DVD WorkShop 2 has lost audio in preview mode but I am loathe to change to another authoring package. (The existing templates in Edius aren't all that suitable for me).

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone is running DVDWS2 under Win 10 with audio?

DVD Workshop is getting a little old now, I liked it a lot, but as with a lot of older programs as the OS progresses they no longer work
    Try DVD Lab from Media Chance, if you are only making DVD, it is full on and can do far more than DVD Workshop and does not cost the earth
    Not sure if it works with W10 but I bet they have not let the water run under the bridge
    There is a trial and all that is needed is to add the serial after buying
    Otherwise an easier solution is Authorworks 5 from Pegasys, does both DVD and Bluray, and has its own encoder, can even make your own frames and buttons
    Both take a little of effort to get your head around but excellent results
    Barry
    Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
    GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
    Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
    Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

It did exactly the same under Windows 8, not sure if we ever got round the issue on the systems we installed it on
      DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

Originally posted by andris View Post
        I have just upgraded from Win 7 to 10 and find that DVD WorkShop 2 has lost audio in preview mode but I am loathe to change to another authoring package. (The existing templates in Edius aren't all that suitable for me).

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone is running DVDWS2 under Win 10 with audio?
        Have you tried installing the program again using Windows compatibility mode for Windows 7?

In case you don't know, right click on the .exe file for DVD Workshop 2 before installation. Open properties and select Compatibility tab, tick the box and select Windows 7. Then click Apply and OK.

This has worked for a couple of other programs that I had issues with on Windows 10.
        Attached Files
        Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

Loading from CD, before installation I tried changing compatibility settings for the setup.exe file over to both Win7 & XPsp3 but neither way worked.
          I'm losing hope on this one.

Comment

would you consider reverting to Win7?

I use DVD Lab Pro for DVD but I don't know if it will work in Win10 (it is no longer updated and updates stopped two years ago)

However, TAW5 works fine in Win10 as long as you are willing to do things sideways, back to front, upside down and inside out (I use it for Blu-ray) (Spoke would say, not a logical program)
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

That would be my recommendation as well. It is an active product that offers a lot of features.
              There is a learning curve, but it will be worthwhile in the long run.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com
              If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
              http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I have TAW5 but when I looked at it's templates etc in the past it didn't appear to be able to do what I wanted so didn't delve further.

There are some functions that DVDWS2 does and which are important to me but I find aren't all that easy to confirm with alternatives, so I would appreciate if someone could confirm if either of the two recommended products so far (TAW5 & DVDLab) can do these:

1/. Pass through DVD compliant files without re-processing*
                2/. Create an NTSC SD DVD having Titles at both 23.98 & 29.97 fps
                3/. In preview mode freely adjust volume levels of the Titles
                4/. Enter chapter times directly (vs manually hunting for them on the timeline) or better still upload from a file with times originating from Edius.
                5/. Ability to create own custom template with full control of the playback order of titles.

*I presume all programs pass through compliant files. The detail I'm checking is: With DVDWS if the audio volumes haven't been altered it takes only a couple of seconds to create the image file for burning. However if I have adjusted the volume of a Title only the audio of that Title is re-processed, adding just a few extra seconds to the job of creating the DVD image file.

Appreciate any input.

Comment

I can't confirm if DVD Lab will work with Win 10 and it does not have a preview function at all, you need to compile and then test with a software DVD player

TAW5 does all custom menus, has a great preview function and accepts elementary streams exported from EDIUS

so if an audio track is too loud or soft in your preview, just quickly export the audio only as ac3 256 from EDIUS with a higher or lower volume and place it in the same folder with same name as the incorrect volume one (in my case, all my exported files have the correct levels to begin with)

compliant files that need no further encoding are EDIUS exported mpeg2 elementary stream with ac3 at stereo 256

remember that you need to spend a week scratching your head while everything works in an illogical way, back to front, sideways, upside down.... but you can get used to that

DVD Lab Pro is the most logical most powerful and affordable tool I ever used and still use, I can do the most complex DVDs
                  I knock this up in 10min
                  http://www.videoproductions.com.au/d...in-project.gif

and here is a more complex project with many playlists and end action functions
                  http://www.videoproductions.com.au/d...Lab-Pro251.png

also, it is not too late to revert to Win7, unless you already installed tons of software and you don't want to do it all again
                  Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-27-2016, 08:10 AM.
                  Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                    TAW5 does all custom menus, has a great preview function and accepts elementary streams exported from EDIUS

so if an audio track is too loud or soft in your preview, just quickly export the audio only as ac3 256 from EDIUS with a higher or lower volume and place it in the same folder with same name as the incorrect volume one (in my case, all my exported files have the correct levels to begin with)

compliant files that need no further encoding are EDIUS exported mpeg2 elementary stream with ac3 at stereo 256
                    TAW5 will accept Program streams from EDIUS (VIDEO & AUDIO combined)

The AUDIO can also be normalized by entering the "CILP EDITING" area and selecting the button in the bottom left with the Audio symbol
                    Select the "Volume Adjustment"<> select Enable Volume Adjustment and select "Volume Normalization" Set to 95% for each clip/video and all the files in the project will have the same level

It only recodes the Audio NOT the VIDEO even if it is a Program stream, takes no time at all

Barry
                    Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                    GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                    Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                    Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
                      TAW5 will accept Program streams from EDIUS (VIDEO & AUDIO combined)

The AUDIO can also be normalized by entering the "CILP EDITING" area and selecting the button in the bottom left with the Audio symbol
                      Select the "Volume Adjustment"<> select Enable Volume Adjustment and select "Volume Normalization" Set to 95% for each clip/video and all the files in the project will have the same level

It only recodes the Audio NOT the VIDEO even if it is a Program stream, takes no time at all

Barry
                      yes I know

but program stream should be avoided in authoring because the muxing process needs to first demux and then remux

I never use PS in authoring, always ES
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

I finally found a solution:
                        Set up a virtual machine using Oracle's VirtualBox (free software) and create a virtual machine running Windows XP (need a retail version). Win 7 should be OK too, as DVDWS2 worked perfectly for me on Win 7 before I upgraded to Win 10.

Because of my C drive being an SSD it is just as fast to load and use as if running DVDWS2 on the host PC.

Note: The current VB build is 5.1.9 and it has audio sync lag. At this time to get VB working so that audio is in sync need to use build 5.1.2 or earlier (according to a post on the VB forum). I am using 5.1.0 and can confirm audio is in sync..

Comment

how difficult to do this?
                          Harris
                          edius pro 8.2, win10 pro x64, i7 5930K @ 4.4 on asus X99-A usb3.1, corsair h100i gtx with noctua fans, 32G gskill ddr4, gtx 980 4G, system 256G samsung ssd 950 pro M.2, swap 128G samsung ssd 850 pro, general use 512G samsung ssd 850 pro, video 4 @ 3T WD red pro in raid 5

Comment

Quite straightforward, plenty of YouTube clips showing how to setup VB and install XP.
                            This looks like a good one:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DAw...8&spfreload=10

The only issue is having a version of Windows that can be registered (ie isn't an OEM version). I have an XP CD so was not a showstopper for me.
                            I found a YouTube clip by a kid showing how to get the XP Mode download file from Microsoft to work in VB. It's a very amateurish clip and consequently a chore to watch but the method shown does work. As it happened at my first attempt at this I was using the current VB version which has audio sync problems (big mistake). So when I uninstalled the current version of VB and loaded build 5.1.0 in it's place I just used the XP CD I had on hand, so I don't know if the XP Mode path is a long term solution with respect to registration. Certainly worth a try.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOugfLxEdU

From the VirtualBox website to be sure to download from the older builds section:
                            https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_1

I set DVDWS into the XP Start Menu so it's just two clicks and a few seconds later WS opens up. Skipping quickly past the XP desktop, I'm straight into DVDWS2. Sweet.

BTW: I discovered the hard way that Hyper-V is useless for this exercise. It doesn't support audio at all for Windows XP & 7!
                            Also, I found if I have Hyper-V switched on, my XP virtual machine would shut down instantly when trying to start. Turned Hyper-V off and it then worked fine.
                            Last edited by andris; 10-25-2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

thanks for such a detailed answer. very helpful.
                              Harris
                              edius pro 8.2, win10 pro x64, i7 5930K @ 4.4 on asus X99-A usb3.1, corsair h100i gtx with noctua fans, 32G gskill ddr4, gtx 980 4G, system 256G samsung ssd 950 pro M.2, swap 128G samsung ssd 850 pro, general use 512G samsung ssd 850 pro, video 4 @ 3T WD red pro in raid 5

Comment

Working...
                              X