Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Handbrake better for Blu-ray encoding than Edius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claire View Post
    What filters do you need Ron? Just curious.. My output file needs no filters, it's complete after the edit .

The plug in does not have the resize filter so there are black bars on the resize as the most important and for a little more cost the full version has a full complement of filters if needed and a lot more control. I too use none of these filters other than the resize filter. Export a HQX HD file and then get a nice clean encode resize to DVD with no black bars.

Ron Evans
    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Yes but this is about Bluray so what role does the resize filter have?
      Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
      EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
        Yes but this is about Bluray so what role does the resize filter have?
        No none I was always thinking about the plug in for downscaling for DVD from timeline so missed that point !!!! For my Bluray's that are always long 2 hours or more I just use Quicksync. Good enough for my purposes. For the long, high contrast theatre scenes I could not see a big enough difference to warrant all the extra time for a x264 encode. Since I already have T4 and T5 I saw no need for the plug in since it missed out the very thing I wanted.

Ron Evans
        Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Understood. :)
          Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
          EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Claire, I am not speaking for Ron, but in my experience T5 imparts a bit of a color shift when encoding. When I encode the same clip in Edius and T5, the T5 encode has a shift towards magenta. I use the filters to adjust the color. Also maybe to tweak sharpness a bit as well.

I would want to encode in Edius all the time but progressive footage and DVD do not mix. (always need to do both).
            Bassman, just HD from T5 or is it HD downscaled to SD?

Speaking for the AVC Movie Plug-in, toggling quickly between the original and back, Edius vectorscope does show a very slight drop in chroma amplitude. However since the same slight drop is still there if I use MeGui and because I can't see any difference out to a big screen.. I don't worry about that.

If it's HD encodes from T5 you have that magenta colour shift with then you may like to test out the trial version of the AVC plug-in. It has presets for progressive and interlaced.

It is nice to encode straight from Edius whenever possible, certainly speeds up productivity.
            Claire

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

Comment

I see the same color shift for DVD or BD encoding in T5. Workflow is Edius-HQX 10bit-T5

I usually shoot in progressive, so the plugin is a no-go for making DVDs inside Edius.
              Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Hi Tim.

Out if interest, do you see the same shift when using an 8 bit source, or YUY2. It could be that T5 isn't using the proper decode filter for the colour space.

To anyone seeing any issues on playback that look like gamma shifts. This could simply be down to the filter used to decode the h264 video. If you play your encodes in WMP, QT, and VLC, you will probably see three different pictures.

Cheers,
                Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Just to return to original question....if I didn't want to spend money on a third party encoder, is Handbrake better than using Edius for Blu-ray?

I appreciate the suggestions about workflow, but since I am not editing as a business, time for the process is not that important.

If there is not a marked improvement in the end result, I might as well stick to using Edius for my Blu-ray discs.
                  Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

John.

As I said earlier, HB won't do it.

Cheers,
                    Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Sorry Dave, I missed it early on!
                      Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

John.

If you want the absolute best of any h264 encoding, including Blu-ray. Then X264 is going to give you that, with MeGui being about the easiest way. If you use MeGui, use the AviSynth script creator.

But this does come at a trade off, with the process being very time consuming. Although this may not be an issue for you, as you said earlier, time is not a factor.

Many people will argue that the picture quality difference isn't worth the effort, but that is up to the individual. If you use 35Mb from Edius and 35 from X264, the differences will be less, but they are still there. But as it is pure quality you are concerned with, there is only really one way.

If you check back over my old tuturial posts as Red Union Films and David Harry, you will find in depth guides on the best way to do it from your Edius edits.

Cheers,
                        Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post
                          Hi Tim.

Out if interest, do you see the same shift when using an 8 bit source, or YUY2. It could be that T5 isn't using the proper decode filter for the colour space.

To anyone seeing any issues on playback that look like gamma shifts. This could simply be down to the filter used to decode the h264 video. If you play your encodes in WMP, QT, and VLC, you will probably see three different pictures.

Cheers,
                          Dave.
                          Dave,

I am away right now but I will try an 8bit vs 10bit test, HQX vs HQ test when I get the chance.
                          Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                          X