Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plug In Choices and Recommendations (Boris Red)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug In Choices and Recommendations (Boris Red)

I'm wondering if those with experience with Edius can help me with some upgrade decisions.

I am new to Edius having recently purchased a new and very capable system running Edius 6. I realize that the upgrade doesn't stop there and I will need a few essential plug-ins.

I will need to do Chroma Key, so I have narrowed the choice to Boris Red or Robuskey.

I need advanced titling, so I have decided on either Vistitle and/or Boris Red.

I intend, sooner, maybe later to upgrade to Edius 7.

Certainly at some point I will purchase all 4, but with a limited budget I need to choose just one for now. I am fully aware that Boris Red can do everything all the other three can do (perhaps not as efficiently or effectively) but I also suspect that Boris is going to be it's usual resource hog and may frustrate me in performance.

I have Boris FX 8 and I can upgrade to $295 (roughly the same cost as the other upgrades.)

What are the experiences with Boris Red on Edius. Does any one recommend it?

Thanks,

Doug Collins
    Asus P8Z77-V LE, Intel i7-3770 processor, 16GB ram, GTX 650 Ti PCIe graphics card, Storm 3G, Windows 7 Pro, Boris Red 2.1, Edius 6.08

I have the plugins that you have mentioned.

Chromakey:

Robuskey is the best choice for keying. In Edius 6 and 6.5 you will be looking at a lot of render time.
    I can get a certain amount of RT playback in Edius 7. If I have to render, it is much, much faster.
    Cost: $479

Titling:

The best titler choice for Edius is Visititle. With a minimal video card you can get real time performance. You will need to use an earlier version for Edius 6.
    Cost: $300

Solution:

Since you can get the upgrade to Boris Red for the upgrade price, it is a smart buy.
    Boris Red is a Jack of all trades, and master of none. The keyer is decent and the titler is ok.

But it is a multipurpose tool that I do recommend as an alternative choice...especially for the price.

Boris will require a lot of rendering time in Edius 6 and 6.5.
    Boris performs much better in Edius 7. Some effects play without rendering and when you do render it takes less time.

If you can afford the crossgrade to Edius 7 and the upgrade price to Boris, I think that move would benefit you the most.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for your reply and the recommendation. You have validated my unqualified assessment.

I really think that any upgrade really needs to include an upgrade to Edius 7, but I just have to watch my dollars and choose a wise upgrade path.

I was wondering about your advise that I would need an earlier version of Vistitle to run on Edius 6. I am currently evaluating the newly release Vistitle 2.5 trial version and it seems to run just fine on Edius 6.

Thanks,

Doug
      Asus P8Z77-V LE, Intel i7-3770 processor, 16GB ram, GTX 650 Ti PCIe graphics card, Storm 3G, Windows 7 Pro, Boris Red 2.1, Edius 6.08

Comment

If it runs fine then they must have corrected the 32bit issue in the trial.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Working...
        X