Transfering footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering footage

My options are a bit limited on how I can transfer the Mini-DV Tapes to my Laptop for editing with Edius. I have to go through a PC that I had Avid Liquid Pro built for a couple years ago via firewire. Than I transfer to portable drive and download to laptop. Is there a better way? I plan to invest in a camera that shoots on the SD cards ASAP but am disappointed in footage quality upon transfer. Any thoughts?

Does your laptop have an expansion port?

If it does you could use something like this to transfer the DV tapes directly into Edius:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Firew.../dp/B000225I4E
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

that means your laptop has no firewire port, correct?
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

No firewire port, HDMI / USB / SD Card slot

Comment

You might want to see if you can get a Firestore device. IIRC, you could disconnect it from the camera and connect it to a computer as an external drive.

You would still have to transfer/capture the footage from the camera/deck to the Firestore, but at least you could skip the export/transfer to the external drive, as it's already on the external drive.

Comment

Longest time is the capture from tape. You could capture straight to a portable drive attached to the PC with IEEE1394 and then just edit from that drive on the laptop. USB2 is fast enough for a single stream of DV or HDV. After you have the files on that disc for backup storage. USB only has a problem with isochronous stream from a tape it is fine for file transfer. Camera to PC is isochronous but PC to the USB drive is a file transfer with all the RAM in the PC to use as a buffer. DV/HDV tape is about 3.5 MBps and most USB 2 hard drives will sustain close to 20MBps.

Ron Evans
            Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Working...
            X