X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Please remember what is in the scope of this third party forum. When the thread switches to mostly commentary of what GV should do, it will be closed. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Andreas_Gumm
    replied
    I fully agree!
    GV has their own small view to the industry. That's why I will better have a look to the competition.
    Btw, I wouldn't wonder if BM does a full move with Resolve to make it an affordable NLE.

Andreas

Leave a comment:

• Andreas_Gumm
    replied
    I fully agree,

but Cineform support needs access to the Cineform SDK or the source code to develope
    a full support engine with full bit depth. This needs to license the codec from Cineform.
    Another good option would be having full support for AVID DNxHD in MXF.
    Resolve works natively with it. Actually Edius Elite only supports it.

If GV will still not change their rules to give out licenses for HQ/HQX codec,
    the codec will never get its attention from other vendors.
    The AVID way is what we need.

Andreas

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
    I know that the GP2 utility caused some EDIUS problems so I did not want to use that but could not find an alternative immediately. I will look further.
    David. I personally have not had any issues with Studio and Edius 7 for my GP footage and CF codec. You may want to try the trial of Premium or Pro, in case they are any different.

I am not too sure, but maybe do an install of Pro, then delete it and see if it leaves the codec? If you are not interested in the GP or FL application, and only want to use the CF codec as an intermediate for a work flow between Edius and Resolve. The codec may be all you need. Although I have personally never used the codec on its own, always with the application to batch my footage for Edius etc.

Edius does not seem to recognise the bit depth of the CF footage, you mat want to double check your 10 bit output. I can't do this myself at the moment due to lack of 10 bit monitor.

Leave a comment:

• David Clarke
    replied
    I know that the GP2 utility caused some EDIUS problems so I did not want to use that but could not find an alternative immediately. I will look further.

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
    I have not dealt with Cineform for some time - certainly not since they were bought by GoPro. Do you need to install GoPro studio to get the Cineform codecs? I cannot export in Cineform from my copy of Resolve at the moment.
    Hi David. There are a number of ways to get the codec on the system. I think the easiest and free one is the GP utility, although I think there is a standard free version available. Not to sure if the codec then becomes available as an export option from either Edius or Resolve, as I would usually use one of their uncompressed codecs for final master output.

Leave a comment:

• David Clarke
    replied
    I have not dealt with Cineform for some time - certainly not since they were bought by GoPro. Do you need to install GoPro studio to get the Cineform codecs? I cannot export in Cineform from my copy of Resolve at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulTV View Post
    Resolve will accept uncompressed .avi......

....not very useful in real terms as your decoded source files would be massive.

Won't even read a Sony EX3 file either - sad really - GREAT with RED!!

Paul :-)
    Hi Paul.

You may want to try CF. The codec is similar in use to HQX but with more benefits.

Unfortunately, proper grading is something that will require an uncompressed work space one way or another, either in buffer or in file. This is the inevitablility of the process itself and its requirement for both colour space and bit depth.

The EX files work great as CF files. And although you obviously do not increase colour or bit depth of the source clip. Your CF conversion of the EX clip now gives you the flexibility of being able to take advantage of the First Light process. I have done this and found that for certain work, the CF FL option with Edius gave a final grade.

Leave a comment:

• PaulTV
    replied
    Resolve will accept uncompressed .avi......

....not very useful in real terms as your decoded source files would be massive.

Won't even read a Sony EX3 file either - sad really - GREAT with RED!!

Paul :-)

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Originally posted by NakedEye View Post
    Yes! The Ciniform option is a good one and there is a raw workflow with fast transcoding. HQX would be nice to have though all the way up to 4K and beyond.

Dave.
    Yes Dave, it would be great if HQX was more transportable. Even better if it was upgraded to carry the metadata of RAW files or become a container. It's a pity really, the lack of industry adoption for the GV codecs. I have you used them for many years and they are perfect.

The CF codec is great, and is about the best option at the moment for Edius productions to pass through to other post processes, especially Resolve. If you use the extra Resolve plug, it can even see any initial First Light passes in the CF metadata. There are even some cameras that use CF for recording.

CF is also a great option for using as an intermediate for a mixed source codec project, or even for a single source codec. You can do initial first pass grades and looks to the files that are transcoded in to CF. These initial grades are all none destructive metadata commands, and they carry through to anything that sees the CF codec, in realtime, and more importantly in Edius. It is even possible to get a finished look/colour grade from editing the CF files in First Light, or whatever the newer application is called.

This is really important for Edius users and is by far the most flexible solution for extra grading of Edius projects, or any other compatible NLE for that matter. The big deal is that, the clips can be graded as they sit in the Edius timeline. Say you have Edius open in one window and First light in another. As you are going through your Edius timeline and see a clip you want to grade, you simply open it up in First light, make your changes, and when you switch back to Edius it updates the picture/clip immediately showing the new look/grade. This is due to the way CF only needs meta changes to change the look of the clips.

While it is not as good as editing in program directly or via plug ins. It is really quick, works, and allows further processing in other post applications. The real advantage over this workflow as opposed to any other, is that. You can chop and change your edit even past so called colour lock, to make last minute unforeseen changes. All without disturbing the Edius timeline and without any rendering of intermediate files or destructive rendering to your HQ and HQX files.

Put it another way, that is a real world pain. You have either a complex composite edit or a simple frame resize in Edius, or anything else in the Edius timeline that has changed the framing of the source clip. If you then want to grade these parts, there is really no way other than to group the composites in to a single render, or render any other frame altered source clip. You then import and colour these clips in something else and reimport them back. Then say you change your edit by a couple of frames, or do any resizing, or their is a last minute creative change. You will have to repeat this process all over again.

Now if the above scenario is carried out with CF clips in Edius. It is a simple matter of opening the source clips in FL, running parallel with Edius being open. Make your look/colour changes in FL, then switch back to Edius, and your new changes are all there to your clips in place within complex composites or any other frame size changes edits.

It may not be the most elegant or best solution. But it is very fast, and most importantly is either free or vey inexpensive. I am quite surprised at not seeing anything on the forum with regard to this process.

While I would love for the GV codecs to be more industry recognised, and maybe have metadata functionality like the CF codec. I have been using Edius since Canopus, and if Thompson and or Grass Valley have not been able to sway the industry either. Then history would suggest that this may never happen.

Leave a comment:

• NakedEye
    replied
    Yes! The Ciniform option is a good one and there is a raw workflow with fast transcoding. HQX would be nice to have though all the way up to 4K and beyond.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    For future projects you may want to consider an intermediate that both Edius and Resolve see. If you use a camera codec that both see, then you won't need an intermediate. As you are using HQ, you are either ingesting or transcoding. That being the case, you won't change your workflow or increase preparation time too much using another intermediate.

You may want to try CineForm. It has a number of advantages over HQ and HQX, not least of all greater compatibility outside of Edius. It also has great initial grade and look options that are controlled by metadata. You can even switch between First Light and Edius, with both open, making changes to the CF clips in FL that Edius sees without rendering.

You can use CF in both Edius and Resolve, and use linked media in either an EDL or AAF from Edius to go to Resolve. It's similar to Matt Scott's Red workflow.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Good points.

Yes, Andy has done some great work with the XML.

Leave a comment:

• David Clarke
    replied
    That's a good document but will only work for clips Resolve will load as the AAF is linking to original clips. Resolve won't load AVI files and lots of different types of MOVS, but will load clips like RED footage.

I will have to try that XML fixer because that will make life easier getting back from Resolve to EDIUS.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Take a look here.
    http://www.grassvalley.com/docs/Appl...DaVinci_AN.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X