Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninja 2 frame rate import problem

Hello editors:
    I have several files recorded to Apple Pro Res 422 on the Ninja 2. The short ones import perfectly, and their properties are correct: 1920 by 1080, field order: upper, frame rate 29.97. And they all play perfectly on the timeline (I am in a 1440 by 1080 project setting).

But when I bring in a much larger file (77 GB, 90 min), and check properties, the native frame rate shows up as 1.9 fps. On timeline audio is fine but playback is obviously off. When I play back the big file on the Ninja, frame rate playback is normal. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Peter Stassa
    Producer
    Davideo Company
    Framingham, MA, USA
    www.davideocompany.com
    Edius Workgroup Pro
    ver. 8.22.623

This would be difficult to say. It could be that there is something going on with the files recorded by the Ninja2. I don't think I have seen this issue with other Prores files.

I will check for you tomorrow with a Samurai. Unfortunately I don't have a ninja 2.
    Are you using the latest firmware and what are your recording settings on the Ninja?
    Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Atomos has a Knowledge Base http://atomos.activehosted.com/kb/ and also a Forum http://forum.atomos.com/forum.php
      Look at them to see if you have an answer.
      Also you can contact Technical Support http://www.atomos.com/contact/

Good luck!
      Last edited by MPPais; 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM.
      MPPais

Comment

Steve: Thanks. I know Atomos just released new firmware for the Ninja 2 last week, BUT, I have to use a freshly formatted HD to load the firmware, and I don't want to blow away the files on the one Ninja hard drive that I have until I know they are backed up. I am reluctant to just drag them to a new drive if the file I move becomes corrupted or "locked in" with that low frame rate in the process. I will check with Atomos.
        Peter Stassa
        Producer
        Davideo Company
        Framingham, MA, USA
        www.davideocompany.com
        Edius Workgroup Pro
        ver. 8.22.623

Comment

Thanks. I have posted my issue on the Atomos forum and am awaiting a reply. I will post my findings here.
          Peter Stassa
          Producer
          Davideo Company
          Framingham, MA, USA
          www.davideocompany.com
          Edius Workgroup Pro
          ver. 8.22.623

Comment

Just noticed this thread, so sorry for the late response.

Last year I was given a drive with two long (over 100 mins each) Prores 422 HD files from FCP.

From what you have observed I wonder if it is to do with the way Edius behaves with longer prores files... Because I had exactly the issue you describe with Edius 6.07

Fortunately Procoder enabled me to successfully create HQ avi's. Tried with TMPGenc authoring works but this mono'd down the split audio tracks, so Procoder shone out here..
            Andrew Whiteley

Edius Workstation 9.51 on Intensity pro 4k, Windows 10 pro 64bit, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170, GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, i7 6700K 4.0GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 'C' drive Samsung M.2 256Gb,
            Media drive 2 X Samsung 850 pro 1Tb RAID 0,
            Archive media drive Hitachi 4TB

Comment

Ninja frame rate problem

Andrew:

How did you bring the files into your system? My long files play perfectly on the Ninja itself, and when brought into Edius via the Ninja dock, they are the correct files sizes, but frame rate is off. Atomos thinks it may be the dock itself, and they are shipping me a replacement. In the meantime, I was planning to take the drive out of the Ninja caddy and put it into an external drive case and import it again, but your experience makes it sound like an Edius /Pro Res issue. I have not used Procoder in ages; does it have a preset for creating a compatible HQ AVI? Thanks.

Peter
              Peter Stassa
              Producer
              Davideo Company
              Framingham, MA, USA
              www.davideocompany.com
              Edius Workgroup Pro
              ver. 8.22.623

Comment

Hi Peter

I simply put the supplied sata iii drive with the files on it into an icy box drive cage (which connects directly to a spare sata header on the motherboard. Opened Edius and imported the files. The sound played normally, but the vision was a series of stills at the rate of 6 per second and file properties reported as 6fps. (Second file gave 2fps,..) Both files played normally in QTpro and I was able to convert to HQX in Procoder which got rid of the issue..

If you have both Edius 6.x and Procoder on the same machine then HQX does show up as an option in Procoder. Press the 'Target' button then 'Add' then under category, select the top 'System' option and select 'AVI Target' under the Presets column. Next select 'Grass Valley HQX' in the drop down box next to 'Video Encoder'. Make sure that you Go through and set all the other correct parameters for frame rate (25 for me) width 1920 Height 1080 Aspect ratio & audio etc as there are sometimes some spurious defaults that can put a spanner in the works.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Andrew
                Andrew Whiteley

Edius Workstation 9.51 on Intensity pro 4k, Windows 10 pro 64bit, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170, GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, i7 6700K 4.0GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 'C' drive Samsung M.2 256Gb,

Comment

Originally posted by andrewwhiteley View Post
                  Hi Peter

I simply put the supplied sata iii drive with the files on it into an icy box drive cage (which connects directly to a spare sata header on the motherboard. Opened Edius and imported the files. The sound played normally, but the vision was a series of stills at the rate of 6 per second and file properties reported as 6fps. (Second file gave 2fps,..) Both files played normally in QTpro and I was able to convert to HQX in Procoder which got rid of the issue..

If you have both Edius 6.x and Procoder on the same machine then HQX does show up as an option in Procoder. Press the 'Target' button then 'Add' then under category, select the top 'System' option and select 'AVI Target' under the Presets column. Next select 'Grass Valley HQX' in the drop down box next to 'Video Encoder'. Make sure that you Go through and set all the other correct parameters for frame rate (25 for me) width 1920 Height 1080 Aspect ratio & audio etc as there are sometimes some spurious defaults that can put a spanner in the works.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Andrew
                  Andrew....

Sorry, have been jammed up, and was waiting for Ninja and Edius tech folks to get settled in after NAB. What version of Procoder do you have on your Edius machine? I have read elsewhere on the forum that Procoder 3.0 does not work in Edius 6.xx And I can find no more recent release other than procoder 3.0....

Thanks,
                  Peter
                  Peter Stassa
                  Producer
                  Davideo Company
                  Framingham, MA, USA
                  www.davideocompany.com
                  Edius Workgroup Pro
                  ver. 8.22.623

Comment

Hi Peter

I have Procoder 3.06.

It is correct that there is no Procoder exporter within Edius - but you can use it as a stand alone product - and it does the job very well! - In your case just try opening Procoder and select an errant Prores file as a source file and then select the GV HQX as your target (making sure that you set the same framerate as your source).

You can also set Procoder to select a short section of the source file so you can do a quick test of the resulting HQX and confirm that it fixes the issue.
                    Last edited by andrewwhiteley; 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM.
                    Andrew Whiteley

Comment

Be aware that there is an issue with Procoder 3.06 and NTSC files. PAL works fine.
                      Jerry
                      Six Gill DV
                      www.sgdvtutorials.com
                      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Out of interest what is the issue? Also, by NTSC do you mean just 525 SD or are you including HD?
                        Andrew Whiteley

Comment

Here is a thread:

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...6+issue&page=3

Notice the date: January of 2011.
                          I still own PC 1-3 but no longer use it. I have moved to TMPGE MW5 and have not looked back.
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com
                          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                            Here is a thread:

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...6+issue&page=3

Notice the date: January of 2011.
                            I still own PC 1-3 but no longer use it. I have moved to TMPGE MW5 and have not looked back.
                            Hi Jerry

Thanks for the heads up! So it looks as if 3.05 might be best..

I also have TMPG mw5 but when I tried to use it for sorting out my prores files that wouldn't play properly in Edius, TMPG mono,d down the audio tracks which was no use, but Procoder sorted it all properly. Also, TMPG will not pass source tc through, but Procoder can if the option is selected. This is vital for those of us needing to get source timcode onto QT wrapped HQX as Edius just strips it off!
                            Andrew Whiteley

Comment

Ninja frame rate problem resolved!

Hello, all:

The replacement dock from Atomos seems to have resolved my issue.
                              Original problem: trying to bring a very long, large Pro Res file (81 GB, 90 min) recorded on the Ninja 2 into Edius (Was using version 6.53 when the problem first came up, have since upgraded to version 6.54)

As you recall, the previous attempts left me with a file on the timeline that was playing at a very low frame rate. (1.9 fps!)

I just tried again, using the replacement dock, and IT WORKED!

Here was my procedure:

1. Shut down the computer.
                              2. Connect the new dock to the computer with the old USB 3.0 cable that came with my Ninja and the NEW USB power cable that came with the replacement dock.
                              3. Boot the computer.
                              4. In My Computer, drag the big file from the Ninja into the root directory of the Edius project (which is set to be a 1920 by 1080 project).
                              5. File took about 15 minutes to transfer.
                              6. Open the Edius project.
                              7. Right click in the Bin, select "get file", deselect "copy file to project folder" (to avoid creating a large duplicate)
                              8. Right click the big file in the bin and the properties now say: Apple Pro Res 422, 1920 by 1080, frame rate 29.97
                              9. Drop file onto timeline and playback is PERFECT!

The only other parameter that changed (besides the upgrade to Edius 6.54) is that the original project had been set up as an HDV project with dimensions of 1440 by 1080 (instead of 1920 by 1080). The original setting had not been an issue with any of the much shorter Ninja Pro Res files I have been using, all of which were Pro res 1920 by 1080 files.).

So I did not have to try converting the Pro Res file into an even bigger HQ AVI. This is great news! Thanks to all for your input.
                              Peter Stassa
                              Peter Stassa
                              Producer
                              Davideo Company
                              Framingham, MA, USA
                              www.davideocompany.com
                              Edius Workgroup Pro
                              ver. 8.22.623

Comment

Working...
                              X