Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I don't want to spearhead any campaign for the plug-in, but I would be interested in having it developed. I understand the economics of any development.

Kevin Klingler, CEO SmartSound has been reading this thread, and has asked me to pass on his comments so far:

"I'll take the proposed deal, its not very profitable still but is sufficient to get us to do the plug-in, 200 users at $100 each, Edius meets Kickstarter. I'm not confident you will have 200 takers (which of course proves our point). But if you do, then we'll do it, next point permitting....
    The Edius SDK would need to send us an API call to open or launch SFP, would need to send us the user-selected clip start-time and end-time, and would need to allow us to return the soundtrack, timeline location of clip is best but the bin/media container works Ok in a pinch. If it can't call us, or send us clip start and end times, then its not sufficient as is. Note that Adobe had to modify their plug-in architecture to do these things and so did Pinnacle for Studio DV. No offense but, at the least market wise, Edius is no Premiere Pro. Ask Steve if their SDK can allow us to do the clip start and and end times, that's the one that is usually missing, but we'll see. If not, then my second point - that they would need to do some things as well - is proven true. (And therefore the lack of a plug-in isn't just our fault)."

At the heart of this is establishing if there are 200 Edius users willing to commit. I don't know how many registered users worldwide there are of Edius. The Forum statistics say there are 11690 members of which only 636 are active. I know two friends here in the UK that use Edius, but never read the Forums. There must be a large proportion of users that will never know about this Kickstart idea.

To find out if this has any chance of success, it needs someone with access to the registered user database, not just the Forum members, and to email them to let them have a chance to respond (possibly directly to SmartSound). Could GV at least allow this to happen?

After all did Vistitle (Videostar) test the market before making the plug-in (exclusive for Edius)? Look how successful that has been, even in the face of commercial rivals for titling.
    Last edited by John Hooper; 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM.
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

OK, I`ll be first to confirm that I`d be willing to shell out $100 for the SmartSound Plug-in as long as it works with Edius vers 6

Comment

Originally posted by Barrymore View Post
        OK, I`ll be first to confirm that I`d be willing to shell out $100 for the SmartSound Plug-in as long as it works with Edius vers 6
        Put me down for the SmartSound Plug-in as long as it works with Edius 6.54+
        CPU: Core i7 3770K water cooled, OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.
        RAM 16 GB.
        MB: ASUS P8Z77-Deluxe.
        Power supply: Thermaltake 1000W.
        Graphics card: NVIDA Geforce GTX 660 Ti OC.
        Kingston 240 GB SSD: , Four Hitachi 3TB Deskstar in RAID 0.
        LG Blu-Ray burner HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE06LU10
        Lite on ATAPl iHBS312 BD.
        Camera: 2x Sony PMW EX3.
        SONY 3D HDRTD30V - 3D - 20.4MP
        Editing: Edius v6.55, Adobe Prod. Premium CS6, Neat Video v3.3, Vistitle 2.5.0,
        NanoFlash, Mac Pro & MacBook pro
        Tricaster 855

Comment

I hate to sound negative but the reality is you will more than likely not be able to get
          200 users to 'pony up' $100 each for vaporware.

My previous example of the Neat video plug in is a perfect
          example. Another example is Plural Eyes. Each of these items went through all of the same stages as this Smartsound thread (there have been other threads as well), and a plugin for each was created.
          Sales have been less than sterling.

It is hard enough to get an available plugin purchased, just imagine trying to sell something that doesn't even exist.

As far as Vistitle goes:
          The Edius market in Asia is huge. The plugin was created for that market and not Europe or the US.
          Asia is where Vistitle makes it's money. Certainly, not here. Pat and I actually discussed this with Jack and Jerry at NAB.

If Kevin Klinger is indeed reading this:
          Open a forum account and talk directly to users. Also, don't play games! if you are serious about this, contact Steve directly about the SDK.
          Last edited by Jerry; 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Hi Jerry (trying to sound positive), I agree that to get 200 users from this forum alone could be difficult, that is why I suggested trying to contact the entire user base for Edius (including the "huge" market in Asia).
            Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

Kevin's comments are downright ENCOURAGING. The first question that needs to be answered is the technical issues Kevin brought up.
              1. Will the current architecture of Edius 6.5 support the development of a SS plugin?
              2. If NOT, will any modification made to the to the Edius code base (in order to support such a plug in) put the code base at risk? If YES, then the deal is over. Put it to rest.

I just read (on this forum) where Edius is quickly being adopted as the NLE of choice for the major ENG organizations, many of which have already invested in Smartsound technology. A USER SURVEY sent to ALL REGISTERED USERS worldwide would seem appropriate.

C'mon Grass Valley... let's get this bus moving. I have $100 bucks burning a hle in my pocket. I want that plug in!!!!!
              Andy Browne - Venice, Florida
              Edius Version 8.0 Workgroup - SYSTEM:
              Intel Core i7 3.2 ghz -12mb cache - 16gb RAM - nVidia GTX-570 - Driver 314.07 - Win7 Pro 64
              Primary Camera: JVC GY-HM170 and Sony HDR-CX700
              Audio Recorder: Zoom H5
              --------------------------------
              Boomers Offshore Videos

Comment

It is not company policy to communicate about our SDK or future direction of it on our public forum .

Every company who has contacted us about our SDK knows the right channels to communicate.

Thanks for understanding.
                Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM.
                Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
                EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

Just a comment. And just so we are clear personally we currently have no use for SmartSound... access to quality production music works best for our needs.

Given the current industry sentiments towards Apples chosen direction with FCPX and with Adobe's push to the Creative Cloud subscription model the future does indeed look very good for Grass Valley with Edius as a natural and almost mature enough alternative to both FCPX and Premiere (I say almost only because integration is a real weakness for Edius IMHO). It would seem that with Edius GV is poised to grow considerably in the wider post environment with the right kind of development and attention to detail to make this potential a reality. It would also seem to be smart for GV to be active rather than passive with their approach to at least the most popular plug-in makers.

If GV make it easy for users to replace their current editors but retain investment in ancillary software such as music and fx libraries, plug-ins etc then for most Edius would be a really viable option.

If GV with Edius can make integration with both workflow... meaning the ability to communicate with other industry tools via AAF, XML, whatever etc ProTools or DaVinci Resolve, other hardware as examples and the essential Plug-in manufacturers then surely this would make good sense going forward.

We have already seen a move in this direction with the codecs etc which is fantastic. I for one would like to see more open integration with all aspects of the post workflow. So GV the ball is squarely in your court... lets see if you can hold onto it and score some try's.

Just my opinion
                  Dave.
                  Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                  www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Originally posted by NakedEye View Post
                    Just a comment. And just so we are clear personally we currently have no use for SmartSound... access to quality production music works best for our needs.

Given the current industry sentiments towards Apples chosen direction with FCPX and with Adobe's push to the Creative Cloud subscription model the future does indeed look very good for Grass Valley with Edius as a natural and almost mature enough alternative to both FCPX and Premiere (I say almost only because integration is a real weakness for Edius IMHO). It would seem that with Edius GV is poised to grow considerably in the wider post environment with the right kind of development and attention to detail to make this potential a reality. It would also seem to be smart for GV to be active rather than passive with their approach to at least the most popular plug-in makers.

If GV make it easy for users to replace their current editors but retain investment in ancillary software such as music and fx libraries, plug-ins etc then for most Edius would be a really viable option.

If GV with Edius can make integration with both workflow... meaning the ability to communicate with other industry tools via AAF, XML, whatever etc ProTools or DaVinci Resolve, other hardware as examples and the essential Plug-in manufacturers then surely this would make good sense going forward.

We have already seen a move in this direction with the codecs etc which is fantastic. I for one would like to see more open integration with all aspects of the post workflow. So GV the ball is squarely in your court... lets see if you can hold onto it and score some try's.

Just my opinion
                    Dave.
                    Very clear and obvious opinion Dave, I was looking for the like button :)

I for one ( assuming many other) have not purchased Edius 6.5 due to the repurchase of all exit plugins which are, well .... Few and costly.

I'm very exited that neat video finally has come to Edius, i personally have send a couple of emails to vlad through the past years.

Exciting times now when there is a possibility that also the industry standard smartsound could come to edius.

Smooth Resolve and Protools interaction are above my pay grade but are equally needed for Edius to make a serious dent in the market.

Hopefully GV takes a more active stand so that version 7 gets the support from e6.08 users it deserves.

Not rockit sience, just my 2 cents.
                    Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
                    EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
                    wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Here`s an interesting situation! There some software, "FX" that`s only available for Windows, however, Mac users would like it so this plan was devised:-
                      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...itfilm-for-mac
                      Maybe something like it could be done for SmartSound? Just an idea.

Comment

Look at posts 10, 11, and 12.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com
                        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I was not familiar with the Kickstarter website, but had heard about it.

I have now read the FAQs, but am I correct in thinking that it needs to be set up by the software developer? In other words, none of us could start it, it would have to be SmartSound.

Also it appears that donations are only possible from the US and UK, which could leave out quite a lot of donors from elsewhere.
                          Last edited by John Hooper; 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                            Why don't you try to find 200 people who commit to give $100 each towards the purchase of Smart Sound as a development incentive?
                            I'll put my money where my mouth is. Show me there is a development effort and an ETA and I will gladly pony up $100.
                            Andy Browne - Venice, Florida
                            Edius Version 8.0 Workgroup - SYSTEM:
                            Intel Core i7 3.2 ghz -12mb cache - 16gb RAM - nVidia GTX-570 - Driver 314.07 - Win7 Pro 64
                            Primary Camera: JVC GY-HM170 and Sony HDR-CX700
                            Audio Recorder: Zoom H5
                            --------------------------------
                            Boomers Offshore Videos

Comment

Working...
                            X