adobe encore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adobe encore

ive been using dvd workshop for years and its time to upgrade, how good is encore and is it pretty easy to to the chapter/menu routine? dvd workshop is so simple but antiquated

There is a somewhat stiff learning curve if you are not familiar with other Adobe products. I usually have Encore, After Effects, and Photoshop open at the same time. I have used it since V1 and really like the program. Just create the proper supported file from Edius and import it into Encore and you will not get a re-encode. I make all of my menus from scratch in Photoshop.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Jim
      Have a look at DVD Movie Factory Pro, it has come a long way from the original, has many Java interactive menus for Bluray that can be toned down to look good, similr to DVD Workshop
      Make sure you set your templates to a higher bit rate than you supply it or it will re encode

Or try Authorworks from TMPgenc
      Both are available for trial

REgards Barry
      Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
      GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
      Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
      Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I used Encore until it ceased to be a stand-alone product - now you can only get it as part of Premiere, and I have not used it lately.

Then I switched to DVLAB Pro and Authoring Works. In my opinion AW is far and away the easiest to use to produce DVD and BluRay as long as you are not trying to do something out of the ordinary.

Comment

I have always liked Encore's workflow the best but I stopped using it at CS5. Bringing in Blu-ray assets and exporting images just took forever. Also the Blu-ray size did not match the projected size. Just seemed like Adobe forgot Encore in that stretch of time...

So I moved on to Authoring works. It is much faster working with assets and images, but it is a totally opposite approach. In Encore you can build stuff from stratch and fit it to your assets. In AW the assets dictate everything. Chapter points are rigid and determined by your assets. For simple or non-menu work AW is great. For complex menus you need to work backwards from the encoding stage and I do not care for how restrictve it is.

I might check out CS7 if there is wind of Encore being improved and if Premiere has a better multicam to warrant the purchase.

Edit: Just had a look at Adobe's Encore forum and there are a lot of posts about issues. They may be user error but Encore does not seem to be the focus of the Creative Suite.
          Last edited by Bassman; 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM.
          Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

CS6 has corrected the long import time. It seemed to take longer with files created by Edius. When I went to NAB to test this at Adobe, I did not have my file with me. With the help of Jon Geddes, from precomposed.com, I was able to determine that the import times issue had been fixed in CS6.
            The space overhead issue is still there. I think it reports about 2-4gb extra when creating a disc. MPEG handling really improved in the CS5.5 version.
            If you are wanting to create a full featured interactive menu, Encore is still your best bet short of DO Studio.
            Go to:http://www.precomposed.com/
            Look at the full blown sets that Jon creates.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Encore is very elaborate with good integration with After Effects and Photoshop for really fancy menus etc. Has no audio waveform so is not as easy to use as DVDArchitect unless you set chapter marks in Premiere.

Ron Evans
              Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

One great thing about Authoring Works is it will read marker exports from Edius. Encore does not to my knowledge. I do not know about other packages.
                Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                  One great thing about Authoring Works is it will read marker exports from Edius. Encore does not to my knowledge. I do not know about other packages.
                  I used marker export a lot when it was only DVD and authoring was in DVDLab. Since I now do almost all authoring in DVDArchitect I have not bothered trying. It is easy to set the markers and name them in DVDArchitect and then I can get it to create the menus for me too. The audio waveform is very good in DVDArchitect so it is easy to see where music or loud noises are to quickly get to points of scene changes or dances. Unfortunately not possible in Encore without going through Premiere as there is no audio waveform in Encore something that is continually asked for in the forums. I think the advantage of DVDArchitect or Encore is a lot more control over how the menus are created and operate. Once you get used to full manual control its difficult to go back to some thing that creates things for you and doesn't allow much changes. I too create background for menus etc in Photoshop or Photo Brush and like the ability to control how the DVD looks. I could never get AW to do what I wanted or for that matter disc creator in Edius.

Encore and DVDArchitect you can start with a clean sheet and build with individual items. Lots of control of how the DVD looks and how it operates. They also both have styles or themes for menus that will auto create the DVD for you in the same way that the simpler programs will. The difference is that they can then be completely edited manually to look just the way that you want by adding or deleting items and changing shapes or backgrounds. There is a learning curve of course but well worth the effort.

Ron Evans
                  Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

If your a rookie with Encore I suggest buying some of Lance Grays template (pop ins or pop drops or whatever) they are really nice Encore templates and take half the work out of making DVDs.
                    Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

Pixel Pop-Drops are reasonably priced and can be modified in Encore and in Photoshop.
                      These are basic templates that are easy to use and are very quick. I guess Lance gray designs these....not sure.
                      http://www.pixelpops-shop.com/DVD-Me...tes_c_172.html

If you are going for something to 'knock their socks off,' Jon Geddes at precomposed makes full motion, fully interactive, multi panel templates. These use AE, Photoshop, and Encore for modification.
                      These are a little more expensive but have the 'wow' factor.
                      http://www.precomposed.com/products/
                      Jerry
                      Six Gill DV
                      www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

yeah those are Lances there nice. I am looking into stepping up to the precomposed line though.
                        Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

Working...
                        X