OOOpppsss I ordered +R instead of -R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOOpppsss I ordered +R instead of -R

I have always used DVD-R media because of the generaly held belief (from several years ago) that it was more broadly compatible with a wide variety of set-top players. Through my own carelesness I ordered a significant quantity of +R media. I'm hopeing that by this time the +R compatability issue has died away. Does anyone have a feel for this?
    Fred D
    Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

It shouldn't be aproblem but i have no firm facts.
    As long as you don't copy from a DVD-R to the DVD+R, I don't think that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by shueardm View Post
      It shouldn't be aproblem but i have no firm facts.
      As long as you don't copy from a DVD-R to the DVD+R, I don't think that would work.
      Copying should work too. The data in the files is independent of the media.

Richard

Comment

DVD+R actually has the potential to be more compatible than DVD-R.

If you have a DVD burner that has bitsetting / booktype support, you can instruct the burner to mark the finished disk as a "DVD-ROM" instead of a "DVD+R". All DVD players are required to read "DVD-ROM" disks, but they do not have to read any burned media ("DVD-R" or "DVD+R" etc.). If your burner doesn't support bitsetting, then DVD-R may be more compatible because DVD-R predates DVD+R, so there are devices out there that will play the former but not the latter.

Years ago I owned a Panasonic TV/DVD/VHS combo that was intentionally designed to not play any burned disks -- Hollywood pressure I guess. It would steadfast refuse to play "DVD+R" disks, but as soon as the booktype was changed to "DVD-ROM", the same contents burned on the same media played fine.

Comment

I thought that only worked with DVD+R DL?

Comment

No, it works with DVD+R media as well.

Comment

+R shoud be OK for most users/users. Some old DVD players may have an issue, so you may want to follow-up with your clients incase they have an issue, and spot check on your own gear.

The DVD+R may actually be a bit more useful if you have a DVD recorder. It may give you more options with respect to setting chapterpoints and menus.

DVD+R DL are arguably better for video than DVD-R DL.

As always, there are differences in quality between brands. Hard to beat real Tayo Yuden DVD-R, and the Watershield look great!

Comment

Thanks for your insights, they helped. Guess I'll be OK, not going to worry about it anyway. I'll be using the +R's through May and June. Any problems I'll learn of them at that time. Thanks again.
                Fred D
                Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

I have held the same opinion as Fred the OP on the whole +R/-R thing and recently the vendor I get disks from sent me a sample of some TY/JVC +R full face disks to try and used 6 of them for a law office on some video work I had done for them.

Guess What. the disks wouldn't play in 2 of their 4 machines. Honestly they could give a rat's you know what about +R or -R. All they know is disks I gave them before worked everywhere and now they worry if a disk submitted is going to play when they need it to play.

Needless to say, I made new dupes on -R and they played fine on their equipment and they're happy campers.

and for me, I will continue my belief and stick to -R.
                  John Sirb
                  Lake Breeze Video Lorain,OH
                  --------------------
                  SYS 1: Edius 9, Vistitle 2.5, Boris Red,Neat Video, Gigabyte Z170x G5, I7 6700K 4.0Mz Skylake, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x2, NVIDIA QUARTO 2000

JVC HM-100,JVC HM-700, JVC HM-600, Canon 80D

Comment

johnsirb, I'm curious if you set the book type on the DVD+R disks you burned.

Comment

I authored it with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4. no menus or anything fancy other than 4 chapter points, so no, nothing other than what any kind of default AW might do.
                      John Sirb
                      Lake Breeze Video Lorain,OH
                      --------------------
                      SYS 1: Edius 9, Vistitle 2.5, Boris Red,Neat Video, Gigabyte Z170x G5, I7 6700K 4.0Mz Skylake, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x2, NVIDIA QUARTO 2000

JVC HM-100,JVC HM-700, JVC HM-600, Canon 80D

Comment

Setting the book type is normally done by a utility included with the burner, and on occasion in the burning software itself (Nero does this, for instance).

If you didn't explicitly set it, the disk was likely left as "DVD+R" instead of "DVD-ROM". That could explain the playback problems.

Comment

...for a law office...
                          In my experience it is not uncommon to find ancient A/V in offices. There is little reason to upgrade a DVD or VHS tape player or TV as long as it still works. Well the TV might be udated if the staff insists on it for lunch time viewing of soaps or Judge Judy as a conditon of employment <G>.

Comment

Working...
                          X