Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Concensus on TMPGenc 5 Yet?

Hello,

I have noticed a users have downloaded the new verison and wanted to ask if the encoding quality has been improved from version 4?

Have you done any tests for making DVDs from HD footage?

I was thinking of downloading it but wanted to ask folks who are familiar with version 4 and know how to get the best out the encoder.

I am using Adobe Media encoder CS5 now and everyhting looks nice but I did notice some jaggies yesterday. on a DVD.

Thanks
    Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

For me TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 works very well. There are some improvements about encoders and final quality. I only tried with Blu-ray and I had very a good movie.I did authoring with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 accept Canopus HQ files. Soon will be a plugin to Edius 6. With SpursEngine the graphic card ProcoderBleu has a new life.
    Last edited by MPPais; 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM.
    MPPais

Comment

I would say it has improved a bit again, HD to SD has evenless issues on problem footage that was ever so slightly visible in T4.
      Encoding speed has also improved on highest quality setting, maybe because the cuda engine has had an .1 update.
      I have no idea regarding HD output as I generally don't use that.
      Settings have moved around a bit, you'll get used to it fast I would say, it annoyed me that T4 interface could not be full sized on the monitor, once you are beyond the start page all pages can be sized freely to suit your needs.
      For long use, same as Edius color scheme it's more pleasant to the eye.

Comment

Thanks,

I think I will download a trial and have it go head to head with AME CS5 and see who wins.
        Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

If you are content with CS5 export why change ?
          Of course you can always test the trail, that's what they are there for :)
          I changed because I was not happy with slowcoder 3, I sold it for a great price and use VD for quite a while.
          After I found out about T4 and providing comparable / better quality & faster turn over time then VD I switched in a heart beat.

The winner is me in the end, I bought T4 & T5 and still have balance for beer after my PC3 sales, I gain speed, better quality, more beer :)

Comment

I am all for more beer! A nice helles or hefeweizen, but I digress...

I tested AME CS5, TMPGenc 4 and Edius for HD to SD a few months back and thought AME CS5 had the best detail and color, but that footage was not really jaggie prone. I noticed some jaggies yesterday from some 720p60 footage downconverted to DVD and thought I might test v5 of TMPGenc to see if it pulled ahead of AME CS5.

All of this hassle to shoot in HD!

Comment

T5 is much better in downscaling from HD to SD than T4, hardly any artifacts in high frequency detail and diagonals
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Anton, would you say it is as good as the virtual dub method?
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com
                If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

T4 is at least as good as VD in down scaling HD to SD and much faster, T5 is even better and again faster than T4.

Just download the trail, 2 weeks should be enough to compare :) after which no issues with un-installing the trail, it leaves no nasties behind.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I decided I will do a shootout between all of the HD to SD methods available to me this week and post my results in the lounge area. I will also put the DVD .iso file for download on my website for any who want to look at the results on their own TV.

Now, if I could ask for the best settings for TMPGenc v5 from the experts so my example will be a representative try. All of my source footage will be 720p60. (sorry interlaced shooters, but that is all I shoot).

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Look at Antons web site for T4 settings then use 10bit settings and highest quality, T5 is virtually the same but a little more hidden.
                      You'll need of course change settings to Progressive.

Comment

Nothing wrong with command line software, but facts are most users are mouse jockey's :)
                        I know the basic's of DOS and it stops there, when I look at avisynth I want to scream, it might be good but like learning Chinese, once ABC is in your blood it's hard to force and learn again.
                        I can't say that T4 or T5 is too sharp, it's just fine for me, it really depends a lot on what cam & glass was used, how it was edit & graded, what looks one is after.

I am used to 'lower end' footage due to inexpensive cam's, VD or T5 are great for me, it might be completely wrong for the next user (doubt that actually)

For years I used procoder and was quite happy with it, it does output a much softer image than TMPGEnc, I don't like soft nor super sharp, just in the middle.

That's why it's good nowadays that most software comes with 2 to 4 weeks trail to play, I wish that most of them would un-install a little better :)

I do really hate jaggies & shimmer !
                        Last edited by SoundFreak; 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          Anton, would you say it is as good as the virtual dub method?
                          it is better and faster than VD
                          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/t5-hd-sd.html
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

Great T5 is up, Very fast service :)
                              Thanks Anton, much appreciated !

Comment

Working...
                              X