Plural Eyes for Edius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plural Eyes for Edius

Please pardon me if this has already been posted here but I didn't find it looking around.

Plural Eyes makes a plugin for FCP, Vegas and CS? that takes all your audio sources and video sources and syncs them on the timeline. This is real handy if you use solid state records from the likes of Zoom, Sennheiser or Edirol. People I know with Vegas love it and say it works very well.

Well there is a sign up on the Plural Eyes website to indicate what software you would like to be notified about if it is created for that NLE. If we can get enough Edius users to hit the site maybe they will get a plugin built for Edius.

I for one will be first in line for a copy. I can easily spend a few hours per project just syncing audio.

Here's the link to sign up.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/newsletters.html

Not sure if this should have been in the third party forum or not but I posted here hoping to get as many Edius folks to request it as possible.
    Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

At the moment you can use the stand alone version of the software with EDIUS.
    It is called dual eyes (beta at the moment). If you look at the tutorial you can see how a workflow with EDIUS could be.
    Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM.
    Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

I don't need to sync my audio - because I use a old fashion method - a clapper board. I record critical audio on my Sound Devices 722 audio recorder (24 bits, 48 Khz). I also record the same audio on my Panny HPX172 as well. I then align the clapper board's spike on those two audio - and I have no problems after that.

I do understand if people uses audio recorders that aren't so high quality, the signal will drift after a while. I don't see that as a problem with my 722 and HPX172.

Yes - I will put my vote on that link as well :-).
      TingSern
      --------------------------------------
      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
        At the moment you can use the stand alone version of the software with EDIUS.
        It is called dual eyes (beta at the moment). If you look at the tutorial you can see how a workflow with EDIUS could be.
        I've seen the dual eyes and know it would work cause it comes stand alone. It is mostly for those DSLR shooters that use an external recorder like a zoom or edirol instead of the built in mics. It actually replaces the cam audio with the recorder audio. This is great if your main content is on a DSLR. I have a DSLR that I only use for eye candy and b-roll. I don't use it much in places where audio is critical. If I do there is another real video cam running handling that task. Most of my workflows are 3 camera weddings. I have one wireless on the minister and solid state recorders everywhere else. THere could be anywhere from two to four or five different external audio sources in a typical ceremony. Dual Eyes wouldn't do much good in this scenario but Plural Eyes would.
        Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Comment

Originally posted by tingsern View Post

I do understand if people uses audio recorders that aren't so high quality, the signal will drift after a while. I don't see that as a problem with my 722 and HPX172.

A little trick I have read about from users of plural eyes is when they have long sections of audio from the less expensive recorders (like the zoom H4n or Edirol R04) is they just cut the audio track into 5-10 minute chunks and plural eyes will see it as a bunch of smaller clips and sync accordingly. When your sound has to come from 3 or 4 external recorders it can be costly to have top of the line ones. :-). Plus I can't really see pulling a clapper board out at a wedding just before people come walking in to create a sync point. That would be kind of destracting. :-0

Comment

This has been discussed here several times. Try a search and see what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
              This has been discussed here several times. Try a search and see what you find.
              I tried a search on "plural eyes" on "All Open Forums" and only received back hits on this thread. Maybe I did it wrong. Even if it has been discussed the link I posted is to an online newsletter could be a new link that was recently posted. Any discussions that may have occured here were probably before they were asking users what NLEs they wanted it developed for. Maybe I just searched incorrectly.

Anyway, if we could all sign up there and tell them Edius maybe it would be created for us quicker. I'll beta test it if they need someone. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                I can't really see pulling a clapper board out at a wedding just before people come walking in to create a sync point. That would be kind of destracting. :-0
                It's also possible to clap an end marker at the end of the shoot. It's not as distracting this way.

Comment

[QUOTE=tingsern;116947]I don't need to sync my audio - because I use a old fashion method - a clapper board. QUOTE]

Yeah.... and it works real well :)
                  I use my iPod timer. Start the timer with the sound recorder at the same time.
                  Then I can show any of my 4 cams the running time. In timeline I just pull all the clips to their time shown on timer from each camera.

It does take a little time to fine tune it to a frame but that not a big issue.
                  A clapper (I have one too) works only if all cameras looking the same place and able to hear it. Some of my cams are 100Ft away and don't work in that distance. So, the running time with my iPod solved all my problems of sync.

Yea, I wanted the software as well, but in the meantime this method works just fine and anyone can do it. The key is to have a digital recorder for the master... like a ZOOM H-2 or H4 it's cheap and reliable.

Comment

Phillip..... see my solution for sync above without the clapper

Comment

[QUOTE=kruzer;119783]
                      Originally posted by tingsern View Post
                      I don't need to sync my audio - because I use a old fashion method - a clapper board. QUOTE]

Yeah.... and it works real well :)
                      I use my iPod timer. Start the timer with the sound recorder at the same time.
                      Then I can show any of my 4 cams the running time. In timeline I just pull all the clips to their time shown on timer from each camera.

It does take a little time to fine tune it to a frame but that not a big issue.
                      A clapper (I have one too) works only if all cameras looking the same place and able to hear it. Some of my cams are 100Ft away and don't work in that distance. So, the running time with my iPod solved all my problems of sync.

Yea, I wanted the software as well, but in the meantime this method works just fine and anyone can do it. The key is to have a digital recorder for the master... like a ZOOM H-2 or H4 it's cheap and reliable.
                      I love the idea of getting "time code" from the display on your iPod, but I'm surprised that you point to the H2/H4 as a reliable "master clock." I've noticed a fair amount of random drift in the H2, sometimes a noticeable drift within three minutes or so (one short song).

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=...5b44936b939244

Fran
                      Last edited by Fran Guidry; 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM.
                      E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
                      Slack Key in California - www.kaleponi.com
                      Slack Key on YouTube
                      Homebrewed Music Blog

Comment

Originally posted by iibw View Post
                        It's also possible to clap an end marker at the end of the shoot. It's not as distracting this way.
                        it is also possible to just use a loud key event like the audience after the first kiss. I use the zoom h4n and two shotguns into that. Plus feed the grooms wireless lav into my camera with a shotgun atop that for safety lol. I only use the zoom H4n for Ceremony and to capture the Toasts. The reception I just use the onboard audio from my camera (mainly the grooms feed) and MP3's of the song the DJ plays. I dont think Plural eyes or Dual eyes would help much for weddings. A Narrative piece shot on the 7d or 5dMk2 I could see it being helpful
                        Asus P5Q-LE, Intel Core2 Quad Q9400, 8Gb DDR2 1066, Windows 7 64-bit, Nvidia Geforce Fermi 465, 2x Acer 22 inch (X223w), 22 inch Vizio LEDTV HDSpark Running Edius 6.03

Comment

[QUOTE=Fran Guidry;119849]
                          Originally posted by kruzer View Post

I love the idea of getting "time code" from the display on your iPod, but I'm surprised that you point to the H2/H4 as a reliable "master clock." I've noticed a fair amount of random drift in the H2, sometimes a noticeable drift within three minutes or so (one short song).

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=...5b44936b939244

Fran
                          I have recorded 60 minutes on each camera and no more than 2-5 frames are off in 60 minutes with the Zoom H-2 master recorder.
                          I think you may have some other issues going on with the H-2 or the cam combination? Using two H-2 and both are just perfect as can be.
                          Your H2 may be faulty?

EDIT:

The above statement is not complete, I was in a hurry.
                          "perfect" was incorrect to use but hey, it's close enough for what I do with music videos :)
                          There are time when the sync issue is bad but not that difficult to find the audio match. The clock in iPod may not be as accurate as well, so there are multiple problems with sync.

I went to FM transmitter to each camera and that solved everything for me. They all have same sound but it does have a slight delay due to transmission and camera sync.
                          Not a big deal to move the sound track a few frames forward then all is OK.
                          Last edited by kruzer; 08-16-2010, 07:16 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

For those keeping tabs, there is a version of PluralEyes currently in Beta for Edius 6. (heard directly from Singular support)

It's probably a good idea to sign up for the newsletter here...
                            http://www.singularsoftware.com/newsletters.html
                            Rusty Rogers | Films
                            >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                            >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                            Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Yes, its true... I have been advocating its development for over a year. My last response from Singular was that we will see it during the first half of 2011.

So that means we are within weeks of seeing Plural Eyes for Edius.

This will be a game changer for the DSLR crowd!
                              George Dame
                              Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
                              Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
                              Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
                              Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
                              www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

Working...
                              X