Auto sync audio in timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto sync audio in timeline?

Anyone has info if there is an AUDIO austosync plug-in available for E-5?
    There is one, but only for FCP and Vegas.

I hate to buy FCP for a few plug in products that I need but looks like I gotta do it.

Do you meant auto sync? If you mean syncing multiple cameras by audio, no there is not one at the moment. I know the guy that developed it did approach GV at NAB, but I don't know if anything came of that or not. There is another thread on this not long ago if you look for it.

Comment

Yeah, when multi cam shot with mic as a reference for the master track.
      Then the program will find all the spots and match with the master.
      Man, that's soooo cool.

I have to manually match all my 2-4 cam shots now and that's a real pain.
      The company (forgot the name) told me that they will keep me on the mailing list as soon as they have a version for E-5.
      Well, that may never happen because there is very little market for E-5 in oppose to Vegas and FCP.

Much as I like E-5 looks like am gonna buy FCP and use that as well for those multi can shots.

If I ran across the name of the program or company I'll post here.

Comment

I have FCP and I like Edius multicam Much better.
        If you shoot in freerun timecode, you can sync automatically.

And when I do have to sync manually, I do pretty much the same as the plug in and do it be audio waveform. Usually it is very quick.

Comment

Forgive me, but I don't understand how it is done as you decribed:)

- I have a master audio in the timeline recorded by a digital recorder.
          - 1-4 camera footage in timeline.

The only way I can sync the footage is to find the spot with the waveform.
          That is very time consuming and spent days to get them to match.

One of the camera I use is to shoot until the tape runs out. It serves a purpose of easy match with the master audio and 60 minutes are perfect sync. The other cams are stopped and started many times. These are the problems and I quicly match (nearby) to the image of the camera #1 in the timeline.
          Do the same with other cameras and come back to fine sync with the master audio.

We use to start all the cams at once and let them run out of tape, regardless if we're actually taping anything or not. It was easy way to match at the beginging of the audio and we just cut out the unusable parts in edit. Lot's of waste, but it worked.

The program that runs on FCP does this all automatically to the waveform.
          (still can't find the name of it, but Philip Boom use it regularly)

If you say this can be done in E-5, then I would be most happy to try it :)
          Perhaps my sync method is kinda crude but don't know any other way to do this without timecode matching with cams and audio.

If there are any good hardware enginners out there, I have an idea as how to make all cams sync easy... to any camcorders.

It consist of two hardware pieces.
          One of them are at the recording source (feed) or mixer, or wherever the audio comes from.... in my case its music.
          The other is at the camera.

As soon as I'd press 'record' on the camera, it transmit a signal to the source hardware and get back a timecode position on the running audio. This audio signal will recorded at the begining of the "record" . I realise that a few ms delay may make the sync a bit off, but very close and could be nugged into the right place during edit. There are other solutions for a perfect sync hardware but not going into that now because it's too complicated.

Software plug-in would be simpler to search and find similar spots in all cams timeline and sync it with master audio.

Anyone interested, please comment with a 'solution' to this muli-cam sync problem :)

EDIT:

I think I found the answer by leaving the TOD imprinted on the video footage and remove it in editing by resize the output format and get rid of the TOD.
          Last edited by kruzer; 11-08-2009, 11:57 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

OK, I found the name of the software from Philip Bloom and there is a 15% discount on his site to buy it.
            The program is: PLURALEYES

Don't work in Edius....

Comment

I'm doing some tests with Vegas and Pluraleyes. Export AAF and importing it into Edius. Works well.

Comment

Kruzer, what you need to do is the following for future recordings.

1. Set all timecodes on the cameras to 'freerun'. The timecode keeps running even when you start/stop the camera. Make sure you start the 'freerun' together on all cameras at zero. Most cameras, like my XDCAM PDW-F335's, allow a timecode sync feature via a bnc lead in between the cameras.
                2. Bring all the clips into Edius in multicam mode, camera by camera, track by track. So select track VA1, bring in cam1 footage. Select track VA2 and bring in cam2 footage and so on. Make sure the sync setting is set to 'timecode'. All the clips will sync up automatically as you bring in each camera turn by turn onto a new track.
                3. Now all you have to do is sync your master audio clip and you're done, and you can do this using the audio waveforms and is very quick and easy.

Using this method, you only need to sync the master audio once (using the audio waveforms) and this it.

If you need further assistance, I'll explain in more detail.
                Raja Singh
                Sadha Video
                UK
                1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
                Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Raja
                  Hey, thanks for the tip :)
                  I don't think I have that option on my Canon HV30 cams.
                  Wish I could do it.

Jeordie
                  Thanks for the info.
                  If nothing else I can always buy the cheap vegas and not the FCP which I have no use for at all, but this function :)

I have to do a 4 cam shoot soon and it's not gonna be fun in the editing process.

Comment

If you are shooting multiple cameras and you do a lot of starting/stopping you really need cameras with free run timecode. It will make life so much easier.

Comment

Even with free run timecode, you still need a professional camera, I have 3 XHA1 (prosumer) and all 3 of them clock drifted apart from each other by a few seconds after a few hrs.
                      I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
                        Even with free run timecode, you still need a professional camera, I have 3 XHA1 (prosumer) and all 3 of them clock drifted apart from each other by a few seconds after a few hrs.
                        ...maybe the pro cameras use Rolex timekeeping mechanisms :))

Kruzer, if not freerun timecode, other options include date/time timecode. That way the time is constantly running regardless of camera start/stop. Check if your camera allows it.
                        Raja Singh
                        Sadha Video
                        UK
                        1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                        2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                        3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
                        Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

OK, don't have those TOD cameras.
                          However, you gave me an idea.

Is there a way in E-5 to find the TOD on the captured clip?
                          That would solve the problem for me. I don't have a second channel to record anything.
                          Another option: if I leave the TOD imprinted on the video at 1440X1080 then I can get rid of this by 1280X720 format.

Hey, I want to thank you again for the idea and maybe there is a way to do this :)

Comment

Working...
                          X