Levelator vs. Normalize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levelator vs. Normalize

As always, I'm poking around with the new features in Edius and perhaps I'm not in the groove yet with Normalize.
    Below is a comparison of Levelator (A1) vs. Normalize @-6dB (A2).

vows is a .wav export from A6 (really low audio and a monster spike at 12:15), then -6 dB Normalize added. Good, but not enough.
    vows.output is the Levelator output.
    Needless to say, for this use I went with Levelator.

Any advice welcome for using Normalize.
    Last edited by Rusty; 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM.
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Levelator seems to apply a compressor/limiter then a normalize. Essentially this "squeezes out" the extreme highs and lows so the overall level can be increased further.

Comment

So Normalize will peak at your set value? (not sure)

I like the way the waveforms respond to the changes without recreating them.
      I'll play with mixed content to see how it works.

Levelator does such a good job with spoken word, it's indispensable.
      Rusty Rogers | Films
      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Comment

As I understand it, the current Normalize will normalize the RMS (average) level to your set value. This means that if you're not careful, you can cause clipping.

To be more specific on what I said earlier, Levelator seems to apply a compressor/limiter then a normalize to peak.

Comment

Normalize appears to be non-destructive!
          A real plus IMO.
          The waveforms do not need to refresh. Cool.
          Rusty Rogers | Films

Comment

Working...
          X