Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Compositing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Video Compositing

    I would like to know what compositing applications people are using with with Edius 5 (Combustion, After Effects, plug-ins...etc).

    I know Edius 5 does not integrate with any 3rd parting comp apps but what are your experiences with compositing and Edius 5?

    Thanks
    Terence Hall
    ____________________________
    • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
    • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
    • 8 Gigs of RAM
    • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

  • #2
    Export from Edius 5 to After Effects 6.5 and back again using the Canopus HQ codec works well for me. With the AE plug-in from Grass Valley my NX card gives me the same full quality display to my HDTV.

    Switching between the two apps is as easy as Alt/Tab but be warned later versions of AE don't play ball with Edius the same way. You have to close Edius before opening AE with version 7 onwards.

    You can't easily export anything with alpha channel from Edius but you can easily export full 32 bit alpha channel stuff from AE to Edius.

    The thing to watch for is levels since AE works in RGB 0 - 255 while Edius likes YUV and levels of 16 - 235 (IRE 0-100). There is a new switch in Edius 5 that lets helps in this matter or you can export from AE as either, by selecting the correct option in the HQ codecs settings.

    Hope this helps.
    Claire

    Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Claire View Post
      Export from Edius 5 to After Effects 6.5 and back again using the Canopus HQ codec works well for me. With the AE plug-in from Grass Valley my NX card gives me the same full quality display to my HDTV.

      Switching between the two apps is as easy as Alt/Tab but be warned later versions of AE don't play ball with Edius the same way. You have to close Edius before opening AE with version 7 onwards.

      You can't easily export anything with alpha channel from Edius but you can easily export full 32 bit alpha channel stuff from AE to Edius.

      The thing to watch for is levels since AE works in RGB 0 - 255 while Edius likes YUV and levels of 16 - 235 (IRE 0-100). There is a new switch in Edius 5 that lets helps in this matter or you can export from AE as either, by selecting the correct option in the HQ codecs settings.

      Hope this helps.
      Thanks Claire. Unfortunately, I would be using AE7 if I go down the Adobe path. Have you ever used Autodesk's Combustion?
      Terence Hall
      ____________________________
      • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
      • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
      • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
      • 8 Gigs of RAM
      • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

      Comment


      • #4
        Terence, no I have not used Combustion, I don't have a Mac.

        BTW I think the conflict between AE versions later than 6.5 only exist if like me you have the Canopus hardware and it's plug-in.
        Claire

        Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Claire View Post
          Terence, no I have not used Combustion, I don't have a Mac.

          BTW I think the conflict between AE versions later than 6.5 only exist if like me you have the Canopus hardware and it's plug-in.
          Claire,

          Thanks for your input. I'm new to compositing. Are there any sites or books you would recommend for AE CS4? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Terence Hall
          ____________________________
          • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
          • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
          • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
          • 8 Gigs of RAM
          • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

          Comment


          • #6
            Do a Google search, you will find a fair bit on AE CS4 training, including Lynda training.

            Steve
            Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
              Do a Google search, you will find a fair bit on AE CS4 training, including Lynda training.

              Steve
              Will do.

              Thx.
              Terence Hall
              ____________________________
              • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
              • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
              • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
              • 8 Gigs of RAM
              • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

              Comment


              • #8
                Terence, no I have not used Combustion, I don't have a Mac.
                There is a Windows version as well... and there is a trial version available

                Combustion is a very nice tool, however if you are used to Adobe's standard interface you are not going to like it...
                Aristotelis Bafaloukos
                Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
                BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

                Ctrl+Alt+Delete

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Aristotelis View Post
                  There is a Windows version as well... and there is a trial version available

                  Combustion is a very nice tool, however if you are used to Adobe's standard interface you are not going to like it...
                  Thanks Aristotelis. I downloaded the trial version of combustion and the interface is pretty clean.

                  I've never used AE but I'm am accustomed to the Photoshop interface. I guess the other thing I have to factor in is third-party plugins as well as support. I know AE has a large support community.
                  Terence Hall
                  ____________________________
                  • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
                  • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
                  • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
                  • 8 Gigs of RAM
                  • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    AE and Edius 5

                    Hi Terrence,

                    I use the AAF export option in Edius, to get my timeline into AE CS4. So far this works perfect. No rendering, just a 4 K file, take no time to get out of Edius :)

                    I then finalize in AE, so I render the final file from there. Normally HQ.

                    I normally do in commercials, so I seldom exceed 30 seconds...

                    Regards...


                    Erik
                    Commercial Producer/Director
                    HDSpark/Edius 6.03
                    Adobe Production Package Premium CS5.5

                    QuadCore 9660 4*3GHz(ASUS P5Q Deluxe), 16 Gb ram,nvidia GTX 285 1 Gb RAM- Laptop i7 GHz, 8 Gb ram - nvidia GTX440M 1,5 Gb ram :) All Intel-based

                    Panasonic HPX500E P2HD, JVC HD-110E/JVC HD-200/JVC BR50 and lots of other fun stuff :)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fatcat View Post
                      Hi Terrence,

                      I use the AAF export option in Edius, to get my timeline into AE CS4. So far this works perfect. No rendering, just a 4 K file, take no time to get out of Edius :)

                      I then finalize in AE, so I render the final file from there. Normally HQ.

                      I normally do in commercials, so I seldom exceed 30 seconds...

                      Regards...


                      Erik
                      Thanks for the info Fatcat.
                      Terence Hall
                      ____________________________
                      • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
                      • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
                      • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
                      • 8 Gigs of RAM
                      • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My daughter is a professional visual effects compositor and says there are only two main programs now in the. They are Shake (although not availiable in 64 bit versions) and the one that most production houses are going over to now is Nuke. The general opinion is that other products After Effects / Combustion etc are either dying or do not have a future in the film industry.

                        Then she starts talking technical and loses me :))

                        P.S. Dont shoot the messenger, this is what I have been told.
                        Dry Biscuit
                        Senior Member
                        Last edited by Dry Biscuit; 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM.
                        Main Editing System: Sinclair ZX81 0.75Mhz chip (Overclocked to 12Ghz), Liquid Nitrogen Cooled. 48k of RAM, Compact Cassette tape drive (9600 baud), 4" B&W monitor. No keyboard - all input by thought transfer from a colander on my head. Gives me 180 layers of 4k in real time (all with 3D PIP added) and can encode and burn a 2 hour Blu Ray in just under 12 seconds. Custom editing chair that floats on magnets 2 feet above the floor. I am also able to travel in time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You have Fusion, Vison and Ae is well used.

                          Here you go http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Default.aspx
                          Look at the feature film list.
                          http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWe...oductions.aspx

                          It could be that those that she mentioned are used in her circle.
                          Or she is Mac centric which might be the case. :)
                          SRsupport
                          Grass Cutter Gold
                          Last edited by SRsupport; 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM.
                          Steve
                          EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SRsupport View Post
                            You have Fusion, Vison and Ae is well used.

                            Here you go http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Default.aspx
                            Look at the feature film list.
                            http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWe...oductions.aspx

                            It could be that those that she mentioned are used in her circle.
                            Or she is Mac centric which might be the case. :)
                            Thanks for the list. I would love to purchase Fusion but it's not in the budget. Both AE and Combustion are but the support for Combustion seems to be very thin in comparison to AE.
                            Terence Hall
                            ____________________________
                            • ASUS P5Q ATX Intel Motherboard
                            • EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
                            • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz Dual-Core Processor
                            • 8 Gigs of RAM
                            • Vista Ultimate 64-bit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thankssssssssssssssssssssss

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X