Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware Gurus- a Raid problem question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Gurus- a Raid problem question.

My Main editing system has an LSI MegaRaid controller with an 11TB raid 5 on.
    By coincidence, (it seems) following a Win10 update I realised the Raid wasn't showing up. I updated the driver to the latest version.
    I rebooted and it appeared to do the trick.

I have since discovered:

1 On a cold boot up is does not show and I believe the raid card is not found during the boot up (a quick error message appears) but with an immediate reboot everything is fine. I get an error message attached but the Raid is now showing and working and in LSI MegaRaid manager it is showing as Optimal. Subsequent reboots when "warm" are error free. I have no idea why the LSI Manager shows Windows 8. Most odd.

2. I did recheck on my old Win 7 drive and exactly the same thing is happening.

My questions really relate to the BIOS. I tend not to go there, except for the very basics, as I know naff all what I am doing but I do know from the boot up, that the Raid Virtual driver is controlled by the BIOS so could it be a tweak in there to slow the boot up to allow more time to power the controller or is it on the way out...as I feel at times?

The only good news is that all the Raid data is backed up onto a 12 TB external.

Attached Files

remove the card and clean its contacts with an eraser

you may also try a different slot if one is available
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Some BIOS's have a fast boot option. It is designed to skip full initialization of the hardware and pass it off to the os to finish initializing. If you have that option, try disabling it.
      Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am a bit stuffed in that whatever I try, I won't know whether the problem is rectified until the system is cold so may take a day or two to see whether it has worked.
        EDIT - Fast Boot was Off.
        Last edited by DigitalDave; 09-20-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X