Slower exporttimes with faster GPU using NVIDIA H264/265 codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower exporttimes with faster GPU using NVIDIA H264/265 codecs

Recently I upgraded from a gtx 1060 6gb to a rtx 3060 ti 8gb, this with a amd 5950x CPU. Edius X has the option now for those that can't use quicksync to use a NVIDIA graphicscard instead to assist in H.264 and H.265 exports. 2 options have been added to the export screen; H.264/AVC (NVIDIA) and H.265/HEVC (NVIDIA)

If you are planning to buy a faster card hoping you will get faster exports with this codec then just save your money, it will only get slower...

I am getting slower exporttimes, despite the fact that the GPU is 100% used, for either h.264 and h.265, h.265 exporttimes are even slower and especially 10bit codecs/projects suffer the most.

In Resolve studio on the same system however it's just the opposite, same file and project- /exportsettings and I am getting exporttimes up to twice as fast, I'm just mentioning it here to rule out any issues with the GPU..

I didn't buy the card for faster exporttimes using that nvidia codec but it is something you would expect, especially because the RTX3060ti is twice as fast as the older GTX1060, in Resolve I do see a noticeable performance jump so it's clear to me it's a Edius shortcoming, just thought I would mention it. GV has a long way to go to optimize GPU acceleration.

Originally posted by noafilm View Post
    Recently I upgraded from a gtx 1060 6gb to a rtx 3060 ti 8gb, this with a amd 5950x CPU. Edius X has the option now for those that can't use quicksync to use a NVIDIA graphicscard instead to assist in H.264 and H.265 exports. 2 options have been added to the export screen; H.264/AVC (NVIDIA) and H.265/HEVC (NVIDIA)

If you are planning to buy a faster card hoping you will get faster exports with this codec then just save your money, it will only get slower...

I am getting slower exporttimes, despite the fact that the GPU is 100% used, for either h.264 and h.265, h.265 exporttimes are even slower and especially 10bit codecs/projects suffer the most.

In Resolve studio on the same system however it's just the opposite, same file and project- /exportsettings and I am getting exporttimes up to twice as fast, I'm just mentioning it here to rule out any issues with the GPU..

I didn't buy the card for faster exporttimes using that nvidia codec but it is something you would expect, especially because the RTX3060ti is twice as fast as the older GTX1060, in Resolve I do see a noticeable performance jump so it's clear to me it's a Edius shortcoming, just thought I would mention it. GV has a long way to go to optimize GPU acceleration.
    This has been a problem for over a year now with Intel CPUs. Although, it's really helpful to have confirmation with AMD CPUs, thanks.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Working...
    X