Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any news of Edius, Intel 12th Gen and Windows 11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news of Edius, Intel 12th Gen and Windows 11?

Has there been any news yet about Edius and compatibility with the latest Intel 12th Generation CPUs and Windows 11?

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

I would also like to know if there are any issues using Edius 8 WG with an Intel 11th or 12th Gen CPU, (using Windows 10)? I have read about the problems with Edius X, but I want ot stick with Edius 8 for the moment.

I was going to use an i9 10850K and have it built for me by Scan here in the UK, but they seem to have moved onto the later CPUs now.
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

No news on this yet but I am sure they said it would be sorted towards the end of the year so that has to be soon. Personally I have an 11700K processor and it has no problems with Quick Sync, althugh QS encoding is a bit slower than with a 10900, but others have reported random crashes. You can stop it crashing by disabling Quick Sync but obviously that is not the best solution.
      EDIUS silver certified trainer.
      Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
      Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

• John Hooper
        John Hooper commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry David, were you replying to Dave or to my post?

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
      No news on this yet but I am sure they said it would be sorted towards the end of the year so that has to be soon. Personally I have an 11700K processor and it has no problems with Quick Sync, althugh QS encoding is a bit slower than with a 10900, but others have reported random crashes. You can stop it crashing by disabling Quick Sync but obviously that is not the best solution.
      Here's my detailed experience of QS which can be verified by emails from support at Edius.net and my numerous video tests.

All 11th gen CPUs have issues with H.265 decode and encode within Edius X. This is because Edius does not fully utilise the UHD750 iGPU properly. This is a fact as I have an email from support from Edius.net that confirms it. It is also confirmed in videos that I’ve made and by the experiences of other Edius users. To date, this issue has not been rectified and we are now on 12Th gen Intel CPUs which have a new iGPU which will require new compatibility to be fully utilised.

Don’f forget, Intel’s iGPUs are an absolute necessity when doing anything with h.265 and certain functions can’t happen without at least a compatible iGPU. Real-time playback of many H.265 exports made by Edius X are also problematic, as in, not real-time when played back in Edius.

I can also confirm h.264 issues as well, even with those generated by Edius X using Intel QS. When using externally sourced H.264 video I’ve also noticed issues. These are generally B frame related. I and IP GOP structures appear to be less problematic. This is something I’ve found during the many tests of various H.264/5 encoding system that I have, both software and hardware. I use these workflows wholly and extensively for certain HDMI capture workflows.

H.264/5 video with a chroma subsampling of 4:2:2 are also very problematic and at any bit depth. However, this is not an issue with just Edius X, this happens with most nearly all other post applications that I’ve tried. Although in the instance of Edius X it clearly gives this as an export option, which will then create video files that Edius X will have issues with.

As for a comparison of performance. QuickSync on UHD750 is very noticeably impacted even when compared to the 9th Gen UHD630 using Edius X.

As for Gen 11 crashing Edius X. In my experience I’ve not found the CPU itself to be the cause of any crashes. However, the use of its iGPU can be the cause of issues.

Switching off the iGPU on an 11th gen CPU is not an option for anyone using a workflow that relies on the iGPU and outside of its use I’ve never personally noticed issues that would require it being switched off.

There is one strange anomaly that neither myself nor support at Edius.net can explain. When running iGPU tasks on the Intel NUC11PAHi7 with Edius X the performance was exceptional compared to any other Intel based system as far as QS performance is concerned. Given that this is only a four core low power laptop based CPU, the conclusion is that the performance boost would appear to be the iGPU. In this instance the iGPU is slightly different than those on the desktop 11th Gen CPUs. This NUC has Intel Iris Xe graphics compared to the UHD 750 of the desktop 11th Gens. Even CPU tasks appeared to be better by comparison as well.

When using a workflow where QS is not needed. For instance working solely with HQX. I’ve personally found 11th Gen to be slightly better than anything before it as far as Intel desktop CPUs are concerned and that includes the 11900K. In this instance having QS switched on made no difference as it wasn’t being used and it never interfered with the use of the system and/or destabilised it any way.

May I also remind people reading this post that what I’ve said is verifiable by support from Edius.net and also many video examples that I’ve shown. If anyone would like to contest anything that I’ve said then I would suggest supporting it with evidence from GV, Edius.net support or with video evidence.

As is with many of these types of posts asking for clarification for such information. A simple direct forum response or statement from GV or Edius.net support is all that’s needed.
      Last edited by Liverpool TV; 11-11-2021, 10:13 PM.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Yes John I was replying to you but I can only talk about my experience with EDIUS X and 11th Gen CPUs, I have not used EDIUS 8 on it. Looking at the specs of the 12th Gen processors they look like a good leap forward to me so if I was buying a new system I would really want those than than 10850 because the prices are not too different. I obviously did not read your post thoroughly enough as you are clearly asking about EDIUS 8 and 11th/12th gen, not EDIUS X.

David, my statement that "it works for me, but doesn't work for others" is accurate. I edit on an 11th gen system with EDIUS X using H.264 and H.265 footage and making the same and don't have problems. Other people do have problems. You are one of the others that QS does not work for on the 11th Gen CPUs. I don't doubt you have problems. One of my own customers has issues and sent me the footage that was crashing his system. It worked fine on mine. The only thing I could replicate was encoding was a bit slower on the 11th gen compared to the 10th.
        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

David, my statement that "it works for me, but doesn't work for others" is accurate. I edit on an 11th gen system with EDIUS X using H.264 and H.265 footage and making the same and don't have problems. Other people do have problems. You are one of the others that QS does not work for on the 11th Gen CPUs. I don't doubt you have problems. One of my own customers has issues and sent me the footage that was crashing his system. It worked fine on mine. The only thing I could replicate was encoding was a bit slower on the 11th gen compared to the 10th.
          Hi David.

I'm sorry for the terminology of the opening line. I have now changed it to say "Here's my detailed experience of QS which can be verified by emails from support at Edius.net and my numerous video tests" . I completely understand that what you've said is relevant to your own personal experience and I'm sorry if it appeared that I'd called that into doubt, that most certainly wasn't my intention. However, the point of accuracy is one that I feel I've covered with my more detailed explanation for the use of QS across multiple Intel CPU generations and their iGPUs.

The one thing that is absolutely clear from both our responses is that there is definitely no official guidance with regard such matters and this type of help from other Edius users isn't ideal and should be officially addressed by those who know with absolute certainty. As in, those who make Edius X or any other versions of Edius.

I know I'm not alone in wanting up to date official information regarding such technical matters.

Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

encoding speed is a little slower, but decoding speed is nearly 2 / 3 slower,Playback speed is intolerable.There are more igpu problems with 11th generation notebook and 12th generation desktop processors. Once QSV is started, EDIUS will crash directly.
            It is said that EDIUS 10.30 will update the igpu SDK in December。adopt my suggestion to increase the playback mode of audio priority ( video frame loss)。
            If you are a seller, you should ask EDIUS developers to support amd NVIDIA GPU decoding. GPU decoding is really too important for ordinary users. To be honest,Many people do not know the purpose of igpu, or use AMD or Xeon platform without igpu. few EDIUS has few young users, Middle aged and elderly users are also on the way to retirement.
            png
            Last edited by [email protected]; 11-12-2021, 05:04 AM.
            CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
            motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
            SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
            Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
            OS WIN10 20H2

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post
              Has there been any news yet about Edius and compatibility with the latest Intel 12th Generation CPUs and Windows 11?
              Originally said to update edius10.21 in October, now it is launched to 10.30 in December. It is said to solve the igpu compatibility problem and increase the frame loss mode.
              CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
              motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
              SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
              Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
              OS WIN10 20H2

Comment

No problem David :-)

Regarding GPU support GV have been asked a lot for more support of nVidia and AMD GPUs so they are aware of it. What I understand is that EDIUS was designed from day 1 to get the best out of the CPU and so to redesign it to use the GPU is a big job which is why it has not happened yet.

Comment

Working...
                X