Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended CPU for Edius X

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Just started to edit a seminar that I shot today, I have a 2 hour multicam to edit (2 camera's only) so a good first test, first thing I had to try was export speed in a HD project, the file was 4k 25p 100mbs 8bit and I exported to a 20mbs HD file using edius own exporter.
    Very first thing I notice is that Edius takes use of all cores in a much better way with the 5950x then it did with my 1950x, all cores are use to their max, see attachment for cpu usage during the export and also cpu temp, only 70deg while the cpu was running at 4500mhz. When I"m just editing cpu temps stay around 40deg celcius.
    A 2 minute file was exported and that took 23 seconds, good times :)
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #47
      Thanks for the information. I have the 5950x as well - on my desktop which is recently built for audio/video editing. But being new to Edius and doing most of my editing on a laptop right now I don't have much experience with it's performance yet. So I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. I was able to pick up a RTX 3080 ti (still not unboxed and not sure if I'll keep it). I gather from the forum here that - at this point - it's not something that Edius will benefit from. I'm using DR as well where I understand it would be useful.

      But again, thanks for the input here. It is interesting and helpful to me.

      Mobile setup: Edius X - Laptop running i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz (8 cores/16 threads) with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.
      Desktop: Edius X - AMD 5950x installed in Asus ProArt Creator B550. 64GB Ram, 2 x 1TB m.2, 6TB HHD. EVGA 3080ti w/12GB vram. Running Windows 10 Pro

      Comment


      • #48
        The RTX 3080 ti will be used in EDIUS for various things, such as Nvidia HVEC (H265) export
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

        EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

        Comment


        • #49
          I don't doubt that card will be used by Edius but the main unanswered question on this forum is how much difference cards make. The 3080ti is a 2000euro card, how would it compare to a 1050ti which is now used as "entry level" card by system builders to keep the price down. In games those cards make a massive difference but how about Edius? Is it worth the bigger investment, will you see hugh performance jumps in either encode or decode or are you better off just to save your money and get a cheaper card instead?
          I"m not talking about the benefit with other programs which I know some will be better off with a fast card but strictly Edius, does it even matter then?

          Comment


          • #50
            Hardware encode and decode has not changed much for the NVIDIA cards I think over the last few generations. Difference will come in how software uses CUDA cores for image manipulations. Then there will be a big difference between the 1000 series and the 3000 series. Also how much VRAM is available for all actions. We will have to see if EDIUS uses the NVIDIA resources in the coming release but if you use Resolve or other programs as well as EDIUS get the fastest GPU with the most VRAM you can afford.
            Ron Evans

            Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

            ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


            Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

            Comment


            • #51
              Probably some gpu accelerated plugins, like neatvideo, will benefit from a much faster gpu but for general editing and exporting am I wrong by saying a fast and very expensive GPU is currently a waste of money for edius x?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                We will have to see if EDIUS uses the NVIDIA resources in the coming release but if you use Resolve or other programs as well as EDIUS get the fastest GPU with the most VRAM you can afford.
                It's raining and I have to wait for clientfeedback so had some time to compare :) and I had some interesting results.

                With my gtx 1060 6gb card I"m getting equal performance between edius x and resolve when it comes to export, a 10 min 4K file in a HD timeline took 01:52 for H.264 and H.265.
                Edius however used 100% cpu for h.264 and 0% gpu, resolve used 40% cpu and 95% gpu
                For h.265 edius used 95% cpu and 75% gpu and resolve used 7% cpu and 90% gpu.

                Comment


                • #53
                  You are correct in saying a fast discrete GPU will not be used by EDIUS for most timeline functions. GPU is used by some plugins and even some EDIUS filters I think. I expect that for export using the NVIDIA hardware encoder EDIUS and Resolve will be close as they are using the same piece of hardware. The major difference is that EDIUS does not use the GPU for decode so timeline playback is very different between EDIUS and RESOLVE. Though for the free version of Resolve it too has to rely on CPU for decode. The major difference is Resolve is totally dependent on GPU for all image processing. You will see a big difference between PC with different GPU's for Resolve with the fastest GPU's being clearly faster in timeline operations. As an example Resolve will not run at all on my other 4790K editor as it only has the iGPU and is just not enough to even run anything in Resolve. By contrast this 4790K is as fast as the Threadripper for most editing with EDIUS. I have found that by turning off GPU decode in Resolve it is still faster than EDIUS for h264 60P files from my GH5. Clearly better utilization of the Threadripper cores than EDIUS. For h264 export they are close as I have said they are using the same hardware encoder in the GPU.

                  So my wish for EDIUS next release. Use discrete GPU for decode on the timeline and better utilization of AMD/Threadripper cores. For what I do a really have no wish for any feature improvements. Only thing would be useful is control of layouter much like Vegas. Frame of project size that can move around source image and zoom/pan so that the whole source image can be seen all the time rather than have to move the source image around in the frame. Like the inverse of how it is displayed now.
                  Ron Evans

                  Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                  ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


                  Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by noafilm View Post
                    Probably some gpu accelerated plugins, like neatvideo, will benefit from a much faster gpu but for general editing and exporting am I wrong by saying a fast and very expensive GPU is currently a waste of money for edius x?
                    yes, Robuskey and Neatvideo5 run realtime here because of the better graphics card
                    Anton Strauss
                    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                    EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                      You are correct in saying a fast discrete GPU will not be used by EDIUS for most timeline functions. GPU is used by some plugins and even some EDIUS filters I think. I expect that for export using the NVIDIA hardware encoder EDIUS and Resolve will be close as they are using the same piece of hardware. The major difference is that EDIUS does not use the GPU for decode so timeline playback is very different between EDIUS and RESOLVE. Though for the free version of Resolve it too has to rely on CPU for decode. The major difference is Resolve is totally dependent on GPU for all image processing. You will see a big difference between PC with different GPU's for Resolve with the fastest GPU's being clearly faster in timeline operations. As an example Resolve will not run at all on my other 4790K editor as it only has the iGPU and is just not enough to even run anything in Resolve. By contrast this 4790K is as fast as the Threadripper for most editing with EDIUS. I have found that by turning off GPU decode in Resolve it is still faster than EDIUS for h264 60P files from my GH5. Clearly better utilization of the Threadripper cores than EDIUS. For h264 export they are close as I have said they are using the same hardware encoder in the GPU.

                      So my wish for EDIUS next release. Use discrete GPU for decode on the timeline and better utilization of AMD/Threadripper cores. For what I do a really have no wish for any feature improvements. Only thing would be useful is control of layouter much like Vegas. Frame of project size that can move around source image and zoom/pan so that the whole source image can be seen all the time rather than have to move the source image around in the frame. Like the inverse of how it is displayed now.
                      I am a user of AMD 5950x. The performance of decoding h265 \ H264 is very poor. EDIUS only supports igpu(HD3000-UHD630). not supports AMD(AMF)、 NVIDIA(NVDEC)、lntel (uhd750 770) iGPU.Even though the performance of AMD CPU is much better than that of Intel CPU (computers at the same price), the performance of decoder cannot be compared with that of GPU.
                      It is recommended that you send an email to [email protected] , Mr. Michael will answer your question.
                      I believe that everyone's computer has AMD or NVIDIA GPU, and igpu is only owned by a few users. Not every computer is purchased for EDIUS. EDIUS should adapt to more new hardware.
                      I've asked many times. Maybe it will be compatible with NVIDIA AMD's GPU decoder next year, At present, it's just a guess. My English is not good.I hope EDIUS can consider the feelings for individual users

                      Thanks
                      Bob
                      Last edited by [email protected]; 11-22-2021, 04:19 AM.
                      CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                      motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                      SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                      Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                      OS WIN10 20H2

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        The performance of decoding h265 \ H264 is very poor.
                        Decoding is only marginally better on the 5950x compared to my 1950x, encoding is about 20 to 30% faster. Edius does make very good use of all processors to perform the decoding task but it is no match for a gpu. But for my use I can play 5 tracks of 4K multicam (25p 100mbs 8bit) without any problems but my cpu is working 100% on all cores to achieve that. Other NLE's use only a small percentage of that and lean fully on the GPU with much better results.

                        I"m not sure but was that not one of the promises made when edius x was launched, that we would get gpu acceleration for de- and encoding? I might be wrong but this is indeed the only thing that holds edius back right now.
                        My main issue however (black frames in export) is solved now and was my main reason to get a new pc, other then that I can say the 5950x just works out of the box while I had the opposite experience as early adopter with my 1950x.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I think that Noa and I had different problems starting at the same time. I got repeated frames or fields while Noa got black frames. However mine occurred on the 4790K when I had the 1080Ti installed. I installed the 1080Ti to get Resolve to work ! Removing the 1080Ti solved the problem but of course left me with a fast ( at the time ) GPU. That is when I got the Threadripper 1920 at a good price with the intention of just getting the newer Threadripper CPU the following year. EDIUS performance is marginally better than the 4790K but of course I can get Resolve to work well. At that time most of my files were AVCHD or XAVC-S so not a problem. There is a big difference now with h264 UHD 60P. Neither the 4790K or the Threadripper is usable with EDIUS at full resolution. A single track is usable unless PCC is used. Essential if using Vlog. Then it cannot play at 60P. HQX is fine but requires a lot of convert time when there are two cameras running for 2 hours each for a show. For me that is not an option. You can see a difference between my files and Noa. I need two tracks of 3840x2160, 60P, 150Mbps. A considerably larger load than the equivalent at 25P, 100Mbps. Frame rate is 2.4 times and data rate is 50% more.

                          I like EDIUS and have been using it since the beginning but on the same PC it has to get the same performance as competing NLE's. At the moment it isn't. Will look forward to the next release.
                          Ron Evans

                          Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                          ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


                          Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by noafilm View Post

                            Decoding is only marginally better on the 5950x compared to my 1950x, encoding is about 20 to 30% faster. Edius does make very good use of all processors to perform the decoding task but it is no match for a gpu. But for my use I can play 5 tracks of 4K multicam (25p 100mbs 8bit) without any problems but my cpu is working 100% on all cores to achieve that. Other NLE's use only a small percentage of that and lean fully on the GPU with much better results.

                            I"m not sure but was that not one of the promises made when edius x was launched, that we would get gpu acceleration for de- and encoding? I might be wrong but this is indeed the only thing that holds edius back right now.
                            My main issue however (black frames in export) is solved now and was my main reason to get a new pc, other then that I can say the 5950x just works out of the box while I had the opposite experience as early adopter with my 1950x.
                            Yes, the release of ediusx promises to be compatible with more GPUs. At present, it only supports NVIDIA coding, and the decoder only supports igpu.
                            My English is not good. I mistakenly think it supports NVIDIA decoding, so I bought ediusx .Because EDIUS doesn't have any promotional videos in China.
                            CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                            motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                            SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                            Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                            OS WIN10 20H2

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                              I need two tracks of 3840x2160, 60P, 150Mbps. A considerably larger load than the equivalent at 25P, 100Mbps. Frame rate is 2.4 times and data rate is 50% more.
                              I can do a multicam with 2 tracks with those setting in a 4K project at full preview resolution and full buffer, pcc I can add to 1 clip and still is ok but when I add PCC on the second clip the buffer drops.
                              When I set the preview quality to 1/2 I can do 4 tracks in realtime and with PCC on 3tracks before the buffer drops.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                With all this talk of processing and the next Edius update, there’s two things people need to remember.

                                1. GV have never said that Edius will ever fully utilise discreet GPUs for timeline processing.

                                2. GV have not said that this next update will include utilisation of discreet GPUs for timeline processing.

                                If anyone knows different then please point me to the GV release note that conforms any of the above. From what I’ve noticed, people have been talking about this whole issue of full GPU utilisation for as long as Edius X has been around and so much so that the point may have seeped from common parlance to an incorrect fact.

                                Don’t forget, GPU assisted encoding is a far cry from GPU assistance for rendering processes in the timeline, FX etc. and the decoding and rasterisation of codecs and other assets.

                                As for this whole talk of AMD CPU’s. Right now, anyone choosing AMD has made the wrong choice for Edius. This post was entitled “Recommended CPU for Edius X” and right now that will still be Intel. In fact, a 10th Gen i9 will be more powerful than a 5950x as far as Edius is concerned.

                                Saying that, 11th and 12th Gen Intel CPU owners aren’t at much of an advantage over 5950x owners right now. That said, without an NVENC capable Nvidia GPU, just how does any AMD system export H.265, or how well does it decode H.265 even by comparisons to a 9th Intel CPU. That was rhetorical BTW as anyone buying into AMD should have already know that answers before buying into AMD specifically for Edius.

                                Maybe GV introduce AMD specific utilisation, their media encoder for exporting, as an example. Maybe GV introduce full discreet GPU utilisation. Let’s hope so on both counts. But you do have to ask yourself why GV have kept their cards so close to their chest with regard this next update. Given all the questioning and requests for proper GPU utilisation, wouldn’t you think a statement ahead of time would be more prudent, especially given the fact that Edius users want and do buy AMD.

                                Anyway. No matter what GV do with this next release, they’ve already lost confidence from many loyal Edius users who have now moved on or who are using another NLE along with Edius to fill in for what Edius can’t do.

                                For me personally, this update will be far too little far too late. I hope GV blow us all way with this update release, however, I’m very doubtful that we are going to see the type of GPU utilisation that people are expecting. I’d love to be wrong on that point but I also think we’ll be lucky to even see full 12Th Gen Intel and DG2 support.

                                Or look at it this way.

                                How far are we into the life cycle of Edius 10?

                                What real changes have there been to Edius 10 during that time?

                                "There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"


                                If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

                                Is your Robot three laws safe?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X