Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended CPU for Edius X

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post

    Your tests were on Windows 10 and to be fair to the 12th Gen, should be on Windows 11 with a Windows 11 compatible version of Edius X.
    Also, you were supposed to be testing the chip and not complaining about the lack of discrete GPU assist in Edius.
    I want discrete GPU assist, but in this test scenario it really doesn't come into play.
    Users who purchase the 'K' series chips want the iGPU and are more interested in the tests for that process.....and without bias.
    There are more owners of systems with iGPU's included than you are evidently aware.

    From the many tests I've seen of the 12900K , 12700K, and the 12600k, the chip is fast. Since Edius is CPU driven at this time, the chip
    should be a perfect fit for Edius. Until we can get some real world tests on Windows 11 and a compatible Edius X,
    those specifics are needed for a true comparison.

    Driver of win11 is basically the same as that of win10,Excluding the influence of igpu, when decoding DJI h265, 12600K 4.0ghz is only 4% faster than 5600x 4.0ghz,Win11 may be 10% better,But they can only use 4 - cores.
    Because my serial number is activated too many times, it is temporarily disabled and cannot be tested WIN11.

    Because of this, I'm learning to daVinci. So far, EDIUS doesn't even have a decent noise reduction plug-in.function of EDIUS has fallen behind. In addition to being compatible with the new format, I haven't found any major functional changes since edius6. It doesn't pay attention to individual users at all.

    In China, most of the newly purchased computers are AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU. Even ivideostar(China EDIUS distributor) said that the performance of Intel's expensive Xeon processor running EDIUS is much worse than AMD. For the H264 \ 265 GPU decoding problem, they have repeatedly asked EDIUS developers, but it has not been implemented so far. H264 (nvenc) encoder plug-in is also developed by ivideostar, not GV. therefore,At present, there is a problem that the output file may be intermittently black,It's hard to solve.
    mmexport1636383010247.jpg
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-08-2021, 03:07 PM.
    CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
    motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
    SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
    Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
    OS WIN10 20H2

    Comment


    • #17
      The free Acon Suite included with Edius X has a decent
      noise reduction plugin.
      The Waves NS1 is better and sells for around $30 US.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

      Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

      Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf


      Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Your tests were on Windows 10 and to be fair to the 12th Gen, should be on Windows 11 with a Windows 11 compatible version of Edius X.
        Any end user can only work with what’s in front of them. The lack of Win11 support and therefore testing with Edius, is hardly the users fault.

        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Also, you were supposed to be testing the chip and not complaining about the lack of discrete GPU assist in Edius.
        "Complaining" about the lack of discreet GPU, even iGPU, is inevitable when it becomes the stumbling block to any editing.

        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        I want discrete GPU assist, but in this test scenario it really doesn't come into play.
        In any scenario where a discreet GPU can assist even the decoding of a codec for the timeline, then do timeline assisted processing for FX etc. then be used to accelerate an export, to any number of codecs, then it will have the ability to positively impact any edit or test scenario.

        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Users who purchase the 'K' series chips want the iGPU and are more interested in the tests for that process.....and without bias.
        Yes, they would most certainly want to know what the impact of the iGPU is. But when Edius isn't fully utilising it and that is being reported, it's hardly a bias, it's a reflection of real-world use.

        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        There are more owners of systems with iGPU's included than you are evidently aware.
        I think he is fully aware of that, hence his reporting of iGPU performance because he uses it himself. Plus, many serious Edius users also use discreet GPUs.

        Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        From the many tests I've seen of the 12900K , 12700K, and the 12600k, the chip is fast. Since Edius is CPU driven at this time, the chip
        should be a perfect fit for Edius. Until we can get some real world tests on Windows 11 and a compatible Edius X,
        those specifics are needed for a true comparison.
        The Paradox there is that you're talking about why something should be tested on what it's designed for but then you go on to point out the glaring obvious and opposite, Edius 'supposedly' isn't optimised to use either the OS or the hardware.

        The simple observation here is that it would seem that Edius isn't compatible with either the OS or hardware. I say 'would seem' because as far as I'm aware, there is not official stance on either.

        The biggest issues here are quite obvious. Edius runs best on Intel CPUs and is also primarily designed with them in mind, yet it would appear that Edius is so far not utilising Intel 12th gen. Same for the iGPU and it's the iGPU that Edius is totally designed to take advantage of for H.265 decoding and encoding, something any none iGPU Intel CPU user or AMD CPU user can attest to. Then there's Windows X86. Edius simply does not work without Windows X86, so expecting it to work with 11 shouldn't be a big ask.

        Both Windows 11 X86 and gen 12 Intel CPUs with their new core and iGPU architecture, have been in production for a very long time and anyone developing around them will have had the opportunity to adapt to them, well in advance of their releases. Once again, given Edius' absolute dependency on both, it shouldn't be unexpected that Edius users will want to use them now.

        It's also worth bearing in mind someone's terminology when they are so blatantly obviously someone who's first language isn't English. Especially when that person is trying harder than most to have a voice in a conversation and trying their absolute best to convey what many will see as invaluable information.



        "There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"


        If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

        Is your Robot three laws safe?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          At present, there is a problem that the output file may be intermittently black,It's hard to solve.
          I do have a black frame issue on export with my amd 1950x, to which processor are you refering to that has the "intermittently black" issue?

          Sorry to keep asking but maybe you missed my questions before, how is your 5950x performing? Does Edius work well with this processor?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post
            Both Windows 11 X86 and gen 12 Intel CPUs with their new core and iGPU architecture, have been in production for a very long time and anyone developing around them will have had the opportunity to adapt to them, well in advance of their releases.
            As someone whose full-time profession it is to develop Windows software used by millions of people every day, I assure you it doesn’t work that way in real life. While we had access to the Windows 11 desktop and server OSes long before most other developers (we are a strategic partner and had regular meetings with Microsoft regarding upcoming changes and to discuss bugs we found), getting access to new processors and documentation is usually limited to a few select OEMs and system integrators.

            99% of the people developing Windows software don’t get to touch systems based on the new Intel processors until they show up at retail.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by THoff View Post
              As someone whose full-time profession it is to develop Windows software used by millions of people every day, I assure you it doesn’t work that way in real life. While we had access to the Windows 11 desktop and server OSes long before most other developers (we are a strategic partner and had regular meetings with Microsoft regarding upcoming changes and to discuss bugs we found), getting access to new processors and documentation is usually limited to a few select OEMs and system integrators.

              99% of the people developing Windows software don’t get to touch systems based on the new Intel processors until they show up at retail.
              That's a very interesting insight. However, one other major NLE developer has managed to account for Win 11 and 12th Gen Intel. Maybe they're in that 1%. Although, 11th Gen Intel, and more importantly its iGPU, have now been around for over a year and yet we've still not received anything that fully accommodates for that. 11th Gen Intel is far from new.

              Anyway. As someone who is a full time producer of videos, I expect my NLE to be fully compatible with the latest versions of the OS and hardware that it is designed to run on. Especially when the hardware in question is absolutely intrinsic to some of its major features and it doesn't work correctly without it. I have two other NLEs and both are fully compatible with their respective latest OSs and hardware and they constantly get updates to help fix bugs, to extend compatibility and to extend functionality.

              "There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"


              If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

              Is your Robot three laws safe?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by noafilm View Post

                I do have a black frame issue on export with my amd 1950x, to which processor are you refering to that has the "intermittently black" issue?

                Sorry to keep asking but maybe you missed my questions before, how is your 5950x performing? Does Edius work well with this processor?
                Amd 5950x doesn't have this problem.For h264, if the CPU has avx2, it can decode quickly. As long as you don't often use DJI 4K 4:2:0 single slice h265 video , this processor is the best choice for EDIUS; DJI, GroPro writing an single slice h265 video stream, All CPU cores can be called in DaVinci,However, EDIUS can only use 4-cores.EDIUS's CPU decoder also lags behind.My suggestion is to use amd5950x for CPU and Intel DG2 for GPU (sold in the first quarter of next year)

                If next year EDIUS is not compatible with Intel GPU, Individual users who continue to buy EDIUS are fools. problem of intermittently black only occurs on the H264 (nvenc) output plug-in, and both CPU 11900t or 5950x appear. Because this output plug-in is developed by ivideostar, not GV

                https://www.edius.net/faq.html (key word: amd processor)
                Last edited by [email protected]; 11-09-2021, 03:12 AM.
                CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                OS WIN10 20H2

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

                  That's a very interesting insight. However, one other major NLE developer has managed to account for Win 11 and 12th Gen Intel. Maybe they're in that 1%. Although, 11th Gen Intel, and more importantly its iGPU, have now been around for over a year and yet we've still not received anything that fully accommodates for that. 11th Gen Intel is far from new.

                  Anyway. As someone who is a full time producer of videos, I expect my NLE to be fully compatible with the latest versions of the OS and hardware that it is designed to run on. Especially when the hardware in question is absolutely intrinsic to some of its major features and it doesn't work correctly without it. I have two other NLEs and both are fully compatible with their respective latest OSs and hardware and they constantly get updates to help fix bugs, to extend compatibility and to extend functionality.
                  I think development of EDIUS is not supported by funds. It has squeezed toothpaste for many years, which leads to the current dilemma. It is still using the old technology of edius6.
                  CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                  motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                  SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                  Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                  OS WIN10 20H2

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by THoff View Post
                    As someone whose full-time profession it is to develop Windows software used by millions of people every day, I assure you it doesn’t work that way in real life. While we had access to the Windows 11 desktop and server OSes long before most other developers (we are a strategic partner and had regular meetings with Microsoft regarding upcoming changes and to discuss bugs we found), getting access to new processors and documentation is usually limited to a few select OEMs and system integrators.

                    99% of the people developing Windows software don’t get to touch systems based on the new Intel processors until they show up at retail.
                    I may be the 1%; I explained in detail the adaptation between EDIUS and uhd750 in March, while EDIUS 10.30 was postponed from October to December. I admire their efficiency。
                    CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                    motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                    SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                    Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                    OS WIN10 20H2

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                      The free Acon Suite included with Edius X has a decent
                      noise reduction plugin.
                      The Waves NS1 is better and sells for around $30 US.
                      What I want to express is the video noise reduction plug-in. Near video V5 performance is too poor.
                      CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                      motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                      SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                      Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                      OS WIN10 20H2

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Thanks a lot for your resonse on the 5950x


                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        problem of intermittently black only occurs on the H264 (nvenc) output plug-in, and both CPU 11900t or 5950x appear. Because this output plug-in is developed by ivideostar, not GV
                        This is interesting, so you are saying black frames in the footage will occur when you use H264 (nvenc)? In my case it's different, I don't use H264 (nvenc) but get the black frame anyway, only when I encode a HQXAVI file there is never a black frame, only if the native files are mov or mp4 from my panasonics. It is also only Edius that has this problem on my pc, I also have resolve studio 17 and there I don't see this issue.
                        The GPU is used during encode however for the PCC that I often apply to many clips.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by noafilm View Post
                          Thanks a lot for your resonse on the 5950x




                          This is interesting, so you are saying black frames in the footage will occur when you use H264 (nvenc)? In my case it's different, I don't use H264 (nvenc) but get the black frame anyway, only when I encode a HQXAVI file there is never a black frame, only if the native files are mov or mp4 from my panasonics. It is also only Edius that has this problem on my pc, I also have resolve studio 17 and there I don't see this issue.
                          The GPU is used during encode however for the PCC that I often apply to many clips.
                          Well, maybe a third-party decoder is installed on your PC or some program conflicts with EDIUS
                          CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
                          motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
                          SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
                          Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
                          OS WIN10 20H2

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            What is interesting of course is that I also use GH5 and GH5S but have no black frames like Noa. I too use PCC but my files are always UHD60P though. I moved to the Threadripper because with the 1080Ti on my second 4790K system I also had all sorts of issues and went back to just the iGPU on the 4790K. I normally edit with source mov files from the GH5's and export a HQX file for encoding with TEMPGenc standalone program not the plugin. I think the only plugin I have is Neat.
                            Ron Evans

                            Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                            ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


                            Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

                              That's a very interesting insight. However, one other major NLE developer has managed to account for Win 11 and 12th Gen Intel. Maybe they're in that 1%. Although, 11th Gen Intel, and more importantly its iGPU, have now been around for over a year and yet we've still not received anything that fully accommodates for that. 11th Gen Intel is far from new..
                              You’re being a bit vague so I don’t know which NLE you’re talking about, but there is the possibility that the other NLE just happens to work correctly without the publisher having to do any work to make that happen. The vast majority of Windows software will fall into that category, but the closer you get to the OS and processor, the more likely you are to be impacted by architecture changes.

                              The software I work on hooks the OS and injects into other programs that are running on it. We have to account for specific versions of Windows by build number. On the other hand, we don’t try to exploit the available instruction sets fully for things like media encoding/decoding, so the CPU is of little consequence. If you’re developing a NLE, I assume the situation would be reversed — you care far more about the processor and it’s capabilities and little about the internal changes in Windows.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by THoff View Post
                                You’re being a bit vague so I don’t know which NLE you’re talking about, but there is the possibility that the other NLE just happens to work correctly without the publisher having to do any work to make that happen. The vast majority of Windows software will fall into that category, but the closer you get to the OS and processor, the more likely you are to be impacted by architecture changes.

                                The software I work on hooks the OS and injects into other programs that are running on it. We have to account for specific versions of Windows by build number. On the other hand, we don’t try to exploit the available instruction sets fully for things like media encoding/decoding, so the CPU is of little consequence. If you’re developing a NLE, I assume the situation would be reversed — you care far more about the processor and it’s capabilities and little about the internal changes in Windows.
                                I’m actually not being vague. Mentioning other NLEs by name on this forum gets your posts deleted, it’s happened to my last two posts where I mentioned by name another NLE. So, I’m avoiding mentioning by name any other NLE as I don’t want the post deleted.

                                There are however other NLEs out there that have responded directly to changes in OS and hardware and not because it ‘just happens to work’.

                                As I’ve already said. There are intrinsic functions within Edius that solely rely on technology by Intel and that hasn’t been sorted for over a year. We are now another generation down the path of architectural change and also changes within the OS. It’s very obvious that Edius isn’t something that will fall into the category of ‘just happens to work’ and such happenstance is impossible for Edius or any NLE that utilises Intel iGPU architecture for core functionality.

                                "There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"


                                If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

                                Is your Robot three laws safe?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X