I5 12600K causes software crash on EDIUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I5 12600K causes software crash on EDIUS

I9 11900t using igpu uhd750 only has very poor performance, and i5 12600K using igpu uhd770 will breakdown,The workload of updating igpu SDK is very heavy. Why not focus on joining the GPU SDK of AMD NVIDIA? In this way, more users will benefit. Users with computers will have at least one AMD or NVIDIA GPU, while Intel igpu is only owned by a small number of users
    Attached Files
    CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
    motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
    SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
    Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
    OS WIN10 20H2

That’s very interesting, thanks.

While some people may think that testing what must be a sample of 12th gen is probably unfair. You have to remember that GV have not done anything to sort out compatibility with Edius and 11th gen and this is now getting on for almost a year.

So, if 11th gen, or more precisely the 11th gen iGPU, hasn’t been sorted, I wouldn’t expect anything different with 12th gen when it’s released.

Or, are GV waiting for 12th gen to be released and maybe they will fix everything in one go, 11th gen and 12th iGPU driver compatibility? Going by previous form, my money is on no.

We are now a year into Edius X and there’s been no significant improvements with GPU utilisation what so ever.

As [email protected] has said, the smart move would be to have discreet GPU compatibility with Nvidia and AMD. This is something that a lot of users have talked about and requested but we’ve never had any official word on such a move from GV.

The unarguable truth here is that Edius X’s GPU assisted performance is better on gen 9 than gen 11 and we are now very close to gen 12 and these are only integrated graphics which are nowhere near as powerful as discreet/dedicated graphics.

Anyway, great post and great info.

Cheers,
    Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

At one point EDIUS was the fastest and edit anything NLE. Now I think it is one of the slowest of all the NLE's because it has not progressed to using modern CPU and GPU resource with higher resolution files that are now the most commonly used. It can edit ProRes RAW and BRAW but there is not fine control just normal PCC. Which is falling behind the controls now available in all the other NLE's having colour wheels etc. EDIUS desperately needs an update to exploit the AMD CPU also NVIDIA and AMD GPU's. Anyone starting now using a Mac M1 could buy Resolve Studio as well as Final Cut Pro for less than buying EDIUS and get full control of any RAW format with fine control and editing speed etc. EDIUS X WG is $999 and Resolve Studio as well as Final Cut Pro are $299 each. Starting now the M1 Mac's would be the winner over Windows PC. For big encoding tasks I think the PC would still win by a long way but the combination between editing and encoding would work fine. Possibly where Resolve would have an advantage in just moving the files and project over from Mac to PC for the encode.
      Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
        At one point EDIUS was the fastest and edit anything NLE. Now I think it is one of the slowest of all the NLE's because it has not progressed to using modern CPU and GPU resource with higher resolution files that are now the most commonly used. It can edit ProRes RAW and BRAW but there is not fine control just normal PCC. Which is falling behind the controls now available in all the other NLE's having colour wheels etc. EDIUS desperately needs an update to exploit the AMD CPU also NVIDIA and AMD GPU's. Anyone starting now using a Mac M1 could buy Resolve Studio as well as Final Cut Pro for less than buying EDIUS and get full control of any RAW format with fine control and editing speed etc. EDIUS X WG is $999 and Resolve Studio as well as Final Cut Pro are $299 each. Starting now the M1 Mac's would be the winner over Windows PC. For big encoding tasks I think the PC would still win by a long way but the combination between editing and encoding would work fine. Possibly where Resolve would have an advantage in just moving the files and project over from Mac to PC for the encode.
        Alright Ron.

Yes, that gap is widening with time and not shortening as it should. It's quite telling when other NLE manufacturers respond and react to market and technological changes/advancements and some very quickly, not least of all BMD with Resolve. To compound the differences we've now got M1 Max on the Mac platform, with an insane amount of GPU power, dedicated accelerators for both Pro Res and H.264/265. You can bet that BMD, Adobe etc. will be jumping all over that. Now I know this isn't a platform that Edius is on but it's more pressure none the less from within the NLE market. Even on WinX86, as you've mentioned, there's so much being unfulfilled due to the lack of proper GPU utilisation. I say 'proper' because Intel's iGPUs are no match what so ever for modern AMD and Nvidia discreet GPUs.

Like I said, it's around one year now and absolutely no movement on Edius and discreet GPUs. What's maybe more frustrating is that GV have no interaction on the forum at all to let users know what's going on. During the last year I've read many optimistic posts from users looking forward to news at some point from GV and relevant update information. That has not happened. Many of us have already started on a plan B and many have made serious efforts to migrate. I wonder how long most users are prepared to carry on and wait, maybe for the kind of news they will never get.

Cheers,
        Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Yes I too watched the presentation of the new Mac's. Not a Mac user of anything and they are expensive but I am sure very attractive to the business user. I will certainly look at a Mac mini with these new CPU's as that may be cheaper than me buying a GPU upgrade !! If I could get one a RTX3080Ti is more than twice the cost of a current M1 Mac mini in Canada. I have always been a PC person for two reasons. I could make one myself with parts I choose and price performance was always in favour of the PC. Not sure this is going to be the case now. A monster Threadripper system with RTX3090 may still be the tops in performance but they are very expensive and run HOT. We will have to see what comes as these new Mac laptops put their high end Intel products to shame I think.
          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
            Yes I too watched the presentation of the new Mac's. Not a Mac user of anything and they are expensive but I am sure very attractive to the business user. I will certainly look at a Mac mini with these new CPU's as that may be cheaper than me buying a GPU upgrade !! If I could get one a RTX3080Ti is more than twice the cost of a current M1 Mac mini in Canada. I have always been a PC person for two reasons. I could make one myself with parts I choose and price performance was always in favour of the PC. Not sure this is going to be the case now. A monster Threadripper system with RTX3090 may still be the tops in performance but they are very expensive and run HOT. We will have to see what comes as these new Mac laptops put their high end Intel products to shame I think.
            Same here Ron, the ability to build has been a big reason for Windows, although, for the last 12 years or so my main reason for Windows was Edius. I actually used to have a business building and selling DAWs and NLEs which started almost 30 years ago. So again, Windows based PCs were the only real way to do that. I'd also had Macs during that time but they were only really for checking compatibility with old video and multimedia outputs, Director, Flash and QT formats etc. But I'm now totally sold on Macs since M1.

I'd say that a high end Threadripper and 3080/90 would still beat any Mac due for release based on M1 Max. Although I'd hate to see how much such a system would cost in the present climate and I'd probably be shocked with the electricity bill as well. That said, with specific optimised software, M1 Max has the potential to be more productive than a Threadripper/RTX combo. The new Pro Res and H.264/5 accelerators for specific workflows are going to be hard to beat and Resolve already does some serious damage even on an M1 Air.

Having gone through the frustrations with not being able to modify the Mini and Air and being forced on to Thunderbolt for anything meaningful with regard interfacing and storage. I'm genuinely feeling the lack of tinkering to now be an advantage. As a for instance. My main edit PC right now has the side panel off because I'm swapping capture cards due to a lack of slots and it's not much fun.

Anyway, it's like anything. If you want something enough or if you will get a boost in productivity, making changes from your usual routine are sometimes the only way to move forward. I just wish I was younger and my brain was more attuned to change and variation.

Comment

Working...
            X