Edius X and non-fluent timeline experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius X and non-fluent timeline experience

Hello everyone, Iam a video editor using Edius for a long time (since version 4). While working for various TV channels and production companies, hardware related problems were usually solved by technicians. Now I have to figure it out on my own. Because I am now working as a freelancer.

I worked with the Adobe Premiere monthly subscription model for a while, but the application was not stable and I was having a lot of crashes when things came in different formats. Finally I bought Edius X.

I have a generally fluent experience with the system I have now. My system specs are as follows: I7 6700K CPU, GTX 1060 6Gb GPU, 32 Gb 3000 Mhz Memory, and Nvme SSD.

But when I shoot DCI 60 FPS 4:2:0 10-Bit MOV/HEVC images with my camera Fuji X-T4, my timeline experience becomes very bad. The same goes for 4K footage from any DJI drone.

I was having a more fluid timeline experience when using Adobe Premiere. Do you guys think this is Edius related or is it time to upgrade my pc?

The opinions of friends who have experience with similar footage are very important to me. I can also share sample images for those who want to experience it.
    Last edited by canerozcoban; 10-13-2021, 11:22 PM.

My System: Intel I7 6700K | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | HyperX Predator 32 Gb 3000 Mhz | Asus Strix GTX-1060 6Gb OC | Samsung 950 Pro SSD | Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair Hydro H110i GT Water Cooler | TC Electronic Impact Twin Audio Interface | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor | LG 29UM68-P Screen | Edius X | Windows 10 Pro

drone clips can be difficult, you can batch convert them in the bin to HQX prior to adding to timeline, then it will be smooth

hardware acceleration can help if they are h264 or h265 based clips, there are also settings under other codecs like Prores etc

can you provide a mediainfo tree view result of such a troublesome clip so we can see what codec it uses and other info

Anton-01531.png
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks for your quick response Anton. Hardware acceleration option selected for all possible formats. I don't have this type of option for AVCHD, I guess it's related to WG version.

I hope the information below is sufficient;

Video
      ID : 1
      Format : HEVC
      Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
      Format profile : Main [email protected]@High
      Codec ID : hvc1
      Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
      Duration : 54 s 0 ms
      Bit rate : 203 Mb/s
      Width : 4 096 pixels
      Height : 2 160 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 1.896
      Frame rate mode : Constant
      Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
      Color space : YUV
      Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
      Bit depth : 10 bits
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.460
      Stream size : 1.28 GiB (98%)
      Language : English
      Encoded date : UTC 2021-04-05 01:52:04
      Tagged date : UTC 2021-04-05 01:52:04
      Color range : Full
      Color primaries : BT.709
      Transfer characteristics : BT.601
      Matrix coefficients : BT.601
      Codec configuration box : hvcC

My System: Intel I7 6700K | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | HyperX Predator 32 Gb 3000 Mhz | Asus Strix GTX-1060 6Gb OC | Samsung 950 Pro SSD | Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair Hydro H110i GT Water Cooler | TC Electronic Impact Twin Audio Interface | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor | LG 29UM68-P Screen | Edius X | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

that is a 50p H265 file which is difficult to handle, I would convert to HQX
        do you have hardware decoder enabled for H265 files, see attached?
        do you have a monitor connected to the onboard (motherboard) graphics to enable hardware acceleration?

also, can I see a screenshot of your project settings

Anton-01532.png
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

When I connected a separate monitor to the onboard video card, the result did not change either. In addition, the result is the same for other values in the "color space" tab on the project settings screen. After a while, the timeline turns red. To give an idea, I am sharing a small sample of the video I used as a link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uNM...ew?usp=sharing

Ekran görüntüsü 2021-10-14 015958.png
          Attached Files

Comment

any reason why you use standard def color space and 4096x2160? are you producing for 4k cinema release?

also, your hardware decoder in HVEC settings appears grayed out, maybe the onboard graphics are disabled in the BIOS, do you see anything on the monitor that you connect to the motherboard graphics? what is the make and model of your motherboard?

your clip does not play realtime on my system, but plays smooth with full buffer once converted to HQX
            Anton Strauss

Comment

If you are using DCI 60P H.265 files, your 6700k is underpowered for this type of file. As far as I remember, the 6700K will decode 8bit HEVC, but not 10bit HEVC. You can transcode the files to HQX from the bin. Transcoding will help with playback and improve your editing experience.
              The reason Premiere handled it better is because Premiere utilizes the GPU to it's fullest. Edius X, does not.
              At this point, the faster the processor the better the performance. The GPU does come into play when using 3rd party plugins.

Upgrading your PC would be a expensive undertaking at this time. Try transcoding first.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com
              If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
              http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                any reason why you use standard def color space and 4096x2160? are you producing for 4k cinema release?

also, your hardware decoder in HVEC settings appears grayed out, maybe the onboard graphics are disabled in the BIOS, do you see anything on the monitor that you connect to the motherboard graphics? what is the make and model of your motherboard?

your clip does not play realtime on my system, but plays smooth with full buffer once converted to HQX
                For some jobs I need to work at these dimensions, and in some cases I take advantage of the high resolution for framing. My motherboard is Asus Maximus Hero VIII. I turned off the onboard gpu option on the motherboard. In both cases, the result does not change. I think it would make the most sense to continue as HQX. Your system is very powerful, maybe this type of files will work faster in future updates. Thank you very much for your support and your time.

Comment

The 4:2:0 HEVC is actually classified as 10bit. I could get the clip to play only by dropping the playback resolution to 1/4. I've had similar results with other Fuji clips.
                  I just transcoded to ProRes HQ 422 from the bin and the clip plays perfectly in realtime. You can do a batch conversion for all of the files you are using in the bin to save time.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

my system is powerful but does not have HVEC decode because my mobo on main PC does not have onboard graphics

can the drone be set to a different codec?
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                      my system is powerful but does not have HVEC decode because my mobo on main PC does not have onboard graphics

can the drone be set to a different codec?
                      I do not know about this, because I get support from my friend for drone shooting. But I can also use them by converting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                        The 4:2:0 HEVC is actually classified as 10bit. I could get the clip to play only by dropping the playback resolution to 1/4. I've had similar results with other Fuji clips.
                        I just transcoded to ProRes HQ 422 from the bin and the clip plays perfectly in realtime. You can do a batch conversion for all of the files you are using in the bin to save time.
                        Thanks for the advice, getting a new motherboard and processor can be really costly for now. Transcode is the most reasonable solution.

Comment

Get the guy who shoots the drone footage for you to use at least BT709 color space. As Anton mentioned, aske about a different recording codec that uses intra frame recording or H. 264 rather than H. 265.
                          DO you know the brand and model number of the drone?
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

the issue with dji drones is that to get the most from the clips ( 10bit or d-log ) you need to shoot in h.265. its best to convert the clips.
                            Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 10-15-2021, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Get the guy who shoots the drone footage for you to use at least BT709 color space. As Anton mentioned, aske about a different recording codec that uses intra frame recording or H. 264 rather than H. 265.
                              DO you know the brand and model number of the drone?
                              As Ulyssesvideo pointed out, h265 has become the standard for taking D-log images. I think this codec will be one of the industry standards soon, I hope Edius makes updates to support it.

Comment

Working...
                              X