Gearing up for recording/editing in 4k60p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing up for recording/editing in 4k60p

This winter I will be recording documentary type video and interviews in 4k60p for HD output. I’m looking into getting a video camera but I have no experience with 4k. I’ve got a camera budget of up to $3000.

I think one of my considerations for choosing a camera should be what the preferred codec/format is for editing in Edius and then choose a camera that offers it. But maybe I’m not thinking right. I have looked on the forum and haven’t come across anything yet to help with direction on this.

What codec/formats would you recommend I work with? And how would you approach this situation if you were me? Is there a particular camera that does 4k60p that you're happy with in relation to Edius? I’ll be editing with the desktop config mentioned in my signature.

Thanks for your help!
    Mobile setup: Edius X - Laptop running i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz (8 cores/16 threads) with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.
    Desktop: Edius X - AMD 5950x installed in Asus ProArt Creator B550. 64GB Ram, 2 x 1TB m.2, 6TB HHD, and a cheap GPU w/1GB VRAM until I can get my hands on a 3080. Running Windows 10 Pro

My pc is allready 4 years old and has a first gen threadripper (1950x), a lot of my work is a 4 multicam setup with panasonic camera's (m4/3 and full frame) and I always shoot 4K 25p 100mbs 4:2:0 8bit codec, Edius x handles 4 streams in a multicam setup without a problem, no lag, no stutter and smooth timeline scrubbing. Did one project recently in a 4K 25p 150mbs 4:2:2 10 bit codec with one camera and also no issue at all, not sure but don't think 50 or 60p won't make much difference compared to 25p when it comes to edius performance, it's rare I use 50p so not much experience there. I think bitrate and bithdepth have a much bigger impact.
    Last edited by noafilm; 09-25-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I use various codecs with Edius, typically I’m using 4K 25p 4:2:0 100Mbps .mov for delivery to the web, Youtube etc. Up to 4K 4:2:2 All-I 400Mbps for broadcast work. I find HEVC can be a bit of a struggle to edit on older hardware. I use the Panasonic CX350 as my workhorse cameras, very versatile and unless you are looking for super shallow depth of field well worth a look and around your budget, have a look at some of my reviews of the camera. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...26ASX0tkzbT7Zi Andy
      Andy
      Steadicam Operator
      http://www.apntv.com
      Edius 6.06, DVC, Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz, GA-X58A 12Gb RAM, GT450, HDSpark Windows 7 64 bit.

Comment

Cameras I mostly use and own are Ursa Mini Pro G2 and Pocket cinema cameras shooting 1080 and 4k 25 and 50p 4,2,2 proses and also RAW, all depending on projects.
        Mostly using Prores 1080 and 4k 50p 4.2.2 and no problem there.
        I also now and then use ENG cameras but only shooting 1080 4.2.2 when using them in 50i.
        JoiCam´s
        Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
        2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
        3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
        4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
        Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
        Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
        And more

Comment

Originally posted by tosok View Post
          This winter I will be recording documentary type video and interviews in 4k60p for HD output. I’m looking into getting a video camera but I have no experience with 4k. I’ve got a camera budget of up to $3000.

I think one of my considerations for choosing a camera should be what the preferred codec/format is for editing in Edius and then choose a camera that offers it. But maybe I’m not thinking right. I have looked on the forum and haven’t come across anything yet to help with direction on this.

What codec/formats would you recommend I work with? And how would you approach this situation if you were me? Is there a particular camera that does 4k60p that you're happy with in relation to Edius? I’ll be editing with the desktop config mentioned in my signature.
          I don't shoot 4k/60p (my shooting up until covid killed everything was still in the HD realm), but I have been building/selling/repairing NLE systems since the mid 90's and currently work as the in house engineer and packaging person for a post house, where we have to deal with 4k, 5K, 6K, 8k, etc. With that said I can't really recommend a specific camera, but as a rule of thumb, a camera that uses less compression is generally a better quality image and is easier to deal with in post, at the expense of file size, camera card size and number. At $3000 for a camera budget you will likely be into a prosumer camera by the time you get camera, batteries, lights, cards, filters, etc, so I suspect you will be dealing with heavier compressed files. That said and also in response the below comments quoted by Noa, read on, as the following information can indeed help you make some decisions.

Originally posted by noafilm View Post
          not sure but don't think 50 or 60p won't make much difference compared to 25p when it comes to edius performance, it's rare I use 50p so not much experience there. I think bitrate and bithdepth have a much bigger impact.
          The three of these go hand in hand really. 50p is twice the framerate of 25p and 60p (or more properly 59.94p) is twice the framerate of 29.97p. If the bitrate (bits/second) is kept the same between 25/50 or 29.97/59.94 then the quality of the encoded frames will be worse in 50p or 59.94p as they will only get half the bitrate compared to 25 or 29.97, so normally a higher framerate uses a higher bitrate to preserve encoding quality, thereby increasing the bandwidth requirements of all of your system components. 8bit vs 10bit bitdepth also increases the bandwidth requirements, assuming you are allowing the bitrates to increase as you move from 8bit to 10bit as now you have an extra 2 bits of data per colour channel per pixel.

All that said, as you can probably see, there is a very substantial difference in bandwidth requirements when jumping between 25p/50p or 29.97/59.94p (at least double assuming equal quality). This bandwidth requirement is not just an edius thing. It means a bigger strain on your storage, your RAM, your CPU and if you have anything that will lean on the GPU a bit than that is also a thing to consider.

The other point to make here is that we have not even discussed how this relates to the codecs that your camera is shooting in. Cameras that use lighter compression like ProRes, will require much more storage with a faster connection to the storage, but may be able to get by with a less powerful CPU because there is less decompression math required. On the other hand, cameras that shoot in H264 will not need as much storage, and it can be slower because the files are not as big so can transfer larger chunks of time to the CPU for decode, but the CPU needs to be more powerful because the codec is more complicated and takes more math to decode. H265 is even more complicated with smaller files.

What all of this means is that framerates, bitrates, bit depths, codecs, system bandwidth, and computational power, all need to be considered, as they all interact and all impact the performance of Edius or any other NLE for that matter, but not necessarily the same with every NLE. For example, Resolve may be able to do some things faster than Edius due to it's excellent GPU assist, (a feature that isn't as mature in Edius), but Edius, for many, tends to be a much better/easier editing experience, since Resolve started life as a high end colour correction system with rudimentary editing, and the timeline editing in it still tends to be a bit "clunky" compared to Edius which was designed as an NLE first and foremost.

Given that you say you will be editing with your AMD desktop system, I would suggest that you try to use a camera codec that isn't heavily compressed, or use an external recorder like an Atomos monitor/recorder to allow recording in ProRes, or if you can't, then be willing to work with edius proxies or viewer quality reductions or allow time for transcoding to HQX or ProRes. The reason I suggest these points is that as of now, Edius GPU assist works with intel iGPU. This GPU decode assist will help with H264 and H265 based files, but everything else is CPU decoded. Since you are on AMD, then everything is CPU decoded, and as such the lighter the compression in the codec, the easier and faster the cpu will be able to decode and pass on to edius. I would also recommend that the storage for this system should ideally as a bare minimum be something that is build as an internal multi-drive (2 drive minimum) RAID-0/Stripe with backup copies of everything kept elsewhere in case one of the strip drives fail. If this array can be a couple of SSD drives, you should be in good shape for speed, but the size/cost ratio may be an issue, in which case a minimum of 4 regular spinning fast drives would be the next best thing for speed , but allow for much better size/cost ratio.

If you look at my signature, you will notice my system is a rather old intel 4790k with 2 4TB seagate spinning drives in there. I can pretty easily handle a single stream of 4k/60 in a HQX or ProRes codec. If I recall correctly, 2 streams was boarderline for me when I tested. I can't handle 4k in H264 or H265 based codecs, as my intel iGPU does not support 4k decode, and my CPU can't decode fast enough to feed edius without dropping frames.

You can easily do some testing to determine what would work best for you by downloading some 4k/60 sample footage and converting it into a few different codec formats. Then use these converted files to do some tests in edius for performance and stream counts. It's what i would do to try to determine if my current configuration will work or if i need to upgrade something or change a workflow to deal with a certain camera codec.
          Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

If you are going to be doing UHD 60P, you will need lots of fast storage. If you are using USB drives for editing, this will need to end.

You will also more than likely be getting a camera that shoots UHD 60P in H.265 and you will need a powerful
            system to push it. I know Pat's Threadripper 3970x can push H.265 around. But, believe it or not, your laptop with the Intel 10875H may be able to playback H.265 better than your 5950X.
            This is because of the QS H.265 encode/decode capabilities.

What you need to do is download various camera samples. Not the YouTube one's, but the actual camera samples provided by the manufacturers. You will need to search
            for those. Also, ask on the forum for samples of the formats you need.

Test them on both of your systems and see how well they play and edit. This will steer you towards a camera that will work with your system(s).
            I do know the Panasonic CX350 H.265 UHD 60P files work great with a 9900K with QS. The question is how well will the 5950X handle H265 files without GPU assist of any kind.
            Worst case scenario would be having to transcode the H.265 to HQX for better playback and ease of editing.

Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I always shoot UHD 60P with my GH5 and GH5S.You can see my setup in my signature. EDIUS will not edit these files native well at all and I expect your Ryzen will be little better. H264 or h265 files need hardware decode and at the moment the choice for EDIUS is Intel with QS. Or transcode to HQX for editing, then you need fast and large drives. My second system with older Intel 4790K system is as fast as the Threadripper. As to camera in that budget look at the new GH5 Mark 2 with kit 12-60 lens.
              Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Hi Tosok. There are never ending arguments regarding cameras. There are Nikon junkies and Canon junkies. So here I just want to throw you a suggestion based upon the needs you outlined in your first post. Your specs were 4K60p for a camera, and your budget is around $3,000. Exactly what my needs were and I ran tests on these cameras: Sony, Panasonic and Canon. The Canon XF400 HD Camcorder won out in so many ways, and I've discussed this camera with a lot of the guys on this Forum - some of whom have purchased the 400 and had great results. That said, I urge you to at least take a look at the 400 or the 405. The only difference being that the 405 has an SDI out terminal which can feed 4K. The 1" sensor is the best around, in my opinion. If you want to take a look at a dramatic film which I shot at 4K and outputted to 2K for festival entries, just take a look at https://vimeo.com/464023599 - PASSWORD: TMH-Special. You won't see 4K resolution, but the quality of the picture is what I was going for. And there was a film LUT applied for the final edit. The 400 sells for $2,999. Good luck,
                Alan
                Alan J. Levi
                Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

another interesting looking two if you have an existing ATOMOS or similar recorder with 2.5" SSD
                  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...specs/W-CST-04
                  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...specs/W-CST-05
                  Last edited by antonsvideo; 09-26-2021, 04:25 AM.
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

"If you look at my signature, you will notice my system is a rather old intel 4790k with 2 4TB seagate spinning drives in there. I can pretty easily handle a single stream of 4k/60 in a HQX or ProRes codec. If I recall correctly, 2 streams was boarderline for me when I tested. I can't handle 4k in H264 or H265 based codecs, as my intel iGPU does not support 4k decode, and my CPU can't decode fast enough to feed edius without dropping frames."

Bern, from what I can tell my 4790K is decoding UHD H.264. It definitely won't do H.265 of any flavor.
                    Take a look at the screen shots. One shows QS on and the second one shows QS off.

Playback with the first screen shot was at full buffer. Playback in the second screen shot was, stuttering to stopped.
                    To get the clip to play I had to drop the resolution to 1/2. Then it played with an extremely slow buffer increase.

Look at the project settings:
                    1. It is 3840x2160 29.97p 10bit.
                    2. Lanczos 3 Hi Quality is also turn on. Adding this reduces playback.

I can do UHD 29.97 all day long. Doing UHD 60p does require me to drop the resolution to 1/2.
                    I usually just start the UHD project and then change to HD 60P to edit. Then at the end of editing
                    I just return to UHD 60P and export.
                    Makes things move along easier.

My system is overclocked and the tests were performed on my 55% full 2TB Sabrents(PCI-E 3.0) NVME.
                    Do you have the Hardware Decode tickbox Checked? Look at the 4th screen shot.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jerry; 09-26-2021, 03:40 PM.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                      "If you look at my signature, you will notice my system is a rather old intel 4790k with 2 4TB seagate spinning drives in there. I can pretty easily handle a single stream of 4k/60 in a HQX or ProRes codec. If I recall correctly, 2 streams was boarderline for me when I tested. I can't handle 4k in H264 or H265 based codecs, as my intel iGPU does not support 4k decode, and my CPU can't decode fast enough to feed edius without dropping frames."

Bern, from what I can tell my 4790K is decoding UHD H.264. It definitely won't do H.265 of any flavor.
                      Take a look at the screen shots. One shows QS on and the second one shows QS off.

Playback with the first screen shot was at full buffer. Playback in the second screen shot was, stuttering to stopped.
                      To get the clip to play I had to drop the resolution to 1/2. Then it played with an extremely slow buffer increase.

Look at the project settings:
                      1. It is 3840x2160 29.97p 10bit.
                      2. Lanczos 3 Hi Quality is also turn on. Adding this reduces playback.

I can do UHD 29.97 all day long. Doing UHD 60p does require me to drop the resolution to 1/2.
                      I usually just start the UHD project and then change to HD 60P to edit. Then at the end of editing
                      I just return to UHD 60P and export.
                      Makes things move along easier.

My system is overclocked and the tests were performed on my 55% full 2TB Sabrents(PCI-E 3.0) NVME.
                      Do you have the Hardware Decode tickbox Checked? Look at the 4th screen shot.
                      Jerry, I was pretty sure the 4790k was constrained to HD for the iGPU quicksync functions, but I may be wrong. My system is not overclocked, so if it is actually able to quicksync decode 4k that may have been what was stopping me, or it could be the flavour of 4k codec that I tried, or even the fact that I am still using Win7. I do have the hardware decode enabled. Either way, it's not a major issue for me as most of my edius work is still in the HD realm.
                      Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

If you are not using avc encoded files, QS won't kick in. Prores, which I use alot, doesn't get any help from QS.

While my overclocking is helpful, the 2TB NVME project drive doing 3500MBs read and write made as much of a difference, if not more.
                        In other words, going from a 12TB 650MBs project drive to the NVME was a game changer.
                        Money well spent!!
                        Last edited by Jerry; 09-26-2021, 09:48 PM.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          If you are not using avc encoded files, QS won't kick in. Prores, which I use alot, doesn't get any help from QS.

While my overclocking is helpful, the 2TB NVME project drive doing 3500MBs read and write made as much of a difference, if not more.
                          In other words, going from a 12TB 650MBs project drive to the NVME was a game changer.
                          Money well spent!!
                          I am well aware the Quicksync does not work with prores, HQ/X, etc. When I said "it could be the flavour of 4k codec that I tried," I mean't that, since each manufacturer often tweaks the way files are written into their containers, it may have been one of those few odd AVC based files that Edius has or had trouble with at the time. It was a sample file I downloaded to test with.

As I said though, for my purposes 4k is somewhat irrelevant..

Comment

The value to me of 4K ( UHD really ) is for re-framing or emulating multicam from one camera. I find with two fixed cameras at different framing on the stage I can emulate a multicam shoot of many cameras using layouter. The other advantage in doing this is that there is no way I will miss anything happening on stage. Shooting wide and cropping in editing means not missing things as well as precise crop/pan/zoom not possible manually realtime. Of course different applications will favour different cameras so what the situation will be is critical in the choice I think. For walking around shooting then Alan's choice is a good one as with the handle removed it looks like a consumer camcorder. I do think they may have been discontinued in most places though. The value of the GH5 Mark 2 is choice of lenses and also looks like a consumer DSLR. If you want to go a little more the new Canon XF605 looks wonderful. Not sure if they will also bring out an XF400 replacement.
                            Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

I see that the thread got moved to hardware. Guess I could have been more clear in my questions or posted them separately. The primary thing is what codecs are 4k edit-friendly in Edius... which then informs my camera considerations. Anyway, I appreciate the input from everyone… including the camera ideas. Bern’s detailed post (#5) brought some things out that I need to consider. I’ve been thinking 4k for the same reason that Ron uses it. At the same time, from what I’m gathering here, it sounds like it can be a bear to work with if I’m not set up properly - and that it might be best to work in HQX or prores. And then there’s the corresponding storage consideration. Lot’s to learn yet. Please feel free to continue my education.
                              Mobile setup: Edius X - Laptop running i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz (8 cores/16 threads) with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.
                              Desktop: Edius X - AMD 5950x installed in Asus ProArt Creator B550. 64GB Ram, 2 x 1TB m.2, 6TB HHD, and a cheap GPU w/1GB VRAM until I can get my hands on a 3080. Running Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X