Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older laptops with firewire 400 connectivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older laptops with firewire 400 connectivity?

Hi all - this is an odd one.

I've got a bunch on minidv tapes that I need to convert to preserve them. They need to be played via the camcorder (or deck) and connected via firewire 400. The tower that I had build for editing had a firewire port in it but that was quite some time ago.

I'm on the lookout for an older laptop that has ieee394 connectivity. The only one I can find is the HP elitebook 8450p (and I only know that because I used to own it)

Does anyone recall any other models that shipped with this connectivity?

why don't you add a firewire card to your main PC? make sure it has a VIA or Texas Instruments chip and if FW400
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I edit solely off a laptop now and sadly the main editing PC I used to use that had firewire connectivity is no more :(

Comment

If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can get a PCMCIA firewire card to add to it. If not, perhaps a blackmagic usb shuttle and use the s-video analogue out of the camera or deck? S-video is almost the same quality as a direct firewire connection providing you use a good s-video cable.

You may have to settle for used for both of them as the shuttle is discontinued and I believe most manufacturers have discontinued PCMCIA firewire cards as well. You would likely have to settle for a used laptop too if that is what you prefer as firewire in general has been abandoned for the most part.
        Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Originally posted by BernH View Post
          If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can get a PCMCIA firewire card to add to it. If not, perhaps a blackmagic usb shuttle and use the s-video analogue out of the camera or deck? S-video is almost the same quality as a direct firewire connection providing you use a good s-video cable.

You may have to settle for used for both of them as the shuttle is discontinued and I believe most manufacturers have discontinued PCMCIA firewire cards as well. You would likely have to settle for a used laptop too if that is what you prefer as firewire in general has been abandoned for the most part.
          Hmmm...thanks for that - good ideas.

No PCMCIA slot in the laptop unfortunately so that's a no go.

The tower that I used to use (with FW400 built into the mobo) won't power up any more and the graphics card is heavily rusted, along with whatever else I can't see visually (!). It was ready for the trash, but I'm thinking that I may have to try and revive it to get these tapes backed up.

Comment

In the past I have used a Thunderbolt port on a laptop with Thunderbolt-firewire adaptor to capture. Using this I could capture but not record back to tape. Thunderbolt laptops do cost more, however, so it may be cheaper just to get a second hand desktop and put a FireWire card in it.
            EDIUS silver certified trainer.
            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Hi David, re In the past I have used a Thunderbolt port on a laptop. Is there any particular type you recommend with Win10 compatibility?

Jim

Comment

I have not done this for a couple of years - I used to make a lot mor systems and had more new stuff with which to play. We would generally buy the FireWire-Thunderbolt adaptor from Apple, which at the time was thunderbolt 2, and a thunderbolt 2-3 adaptor to go with it. This was all with Windows 10. This was a couple of years ago so I guess there is a possibilty it does not work any more.
                EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Hi....I have a bundle on minidv tapes that I need to change over to safeguard them. They should be played by means of the camcorder (or deck) and associated through firewire 400. The pinnacle that I had work for altering had a firewire port in it however that was a long while back.

I'm keeping watch for a more established PC that has ieee394 availability. The only one I can discover is the HP elitebook 8450p (and I just realize that since I used to claim it)

Does anybody review whatever other models that transported with this network?

Comment

you buy a $50 firewire 400 card with Texas Instruments or VIA chip and insert it into any PCI-e slot and you are done

and you need EDIUS 9 or earlier in order to capture
                    Anton Strauss
                    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X