Graphic card choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic card choices?

My PC that I built has got a bit old (like me), and I think it about time to update. My signature shows the spec I have now. A 4th Gen Intel CPU and GTX 660 graphics card.

I am happy to choose the main components, but what level of graphics card is good enough? I am using Edius 8 WG for a hobby. I am aware that Edius does not use the graphics card that much. I have Resolve but don't use it much. I use Photoshop.

So with graphic card prices high at the moment, what would make a difference to my useage? I want to stick with nVidia, so would a 1660 be a good step up, or should I go for a 2070?

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by John Hooper; 08-09-2021, 09:10 PM.
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

your not gaining anything with EDIUS 8 by upgrading your card
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

It's not a good choice. I suggest using AMD rx6600, which has a good performance in Da Vinci. Intel will launch DG2 graphics card at the end of the year, and video coding and decoding is also very powerful. NVIDIA is very lack of morals. Nvenc and dec have a burst limit of 2, resulting in very poor multi track video performance.
      CPU:AMD R9 5950X GPU:GTX1050 MEM: Micron 4G DDR4 2400x4
      motherboard:ASrock X570 matx
      SSD:intel p3600 sata HDD: HGST 8Tx5 raid0
      Power:Great Wall EPS2000BL 2000W
      OS WIN10 20H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
        your not gaining anything with EDIUS 8 by upgrading your card
        Hi Anton,

I appreciate that Edius itself would not benefit, but what about third party plugins and my use of Photoshop?
        Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

Photoshop is not really dependent on Graphics Card

Not sure what third party plugins you have, but you gain 0.00000% when it comes to exporting from EDIUS no matter what graphics card, I use lots of Robuskey Chroma Keyer and the RTX 2070 is used 0.00001% during export, in other words, wasted money

Nvidia GPU support is dropped when exporting, only Intel onboard graphics can be of benefit
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• John Hooper
            John Hooper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Anton

I agree with Anton if you are talking strictly Edius and not using something like Resolve.

However some plugins, such as Neat Video will benefit from the GPU as he suggested when they are processing, but if you don't have those plugins there is no real benefit right now.

You would be better off building a system based around intel CPU/GPU 10th gen right now, as 11th gen seems to not be as efficient with Edius, but build a system that has the option to add a card at a later date in case you decide to upgrade to Edius X at some point, as it is beginning to offer some additional GPU acceleration. Anything prior to Edius X however has no real benefit with a better GPU.

Even at that though, if your new build can add a card at some point, you can wait until an Edius X upgrade when there is a substantial enough benefit for a good GPU and we can hope that the prices will come down a bit when the GPU supply starts to get better.

This is a big reason why I am also still on a 4th gen system and an nVidia 680, and just waiting to see where things are going to "shake out" with Edius. My CPU (4790K) still holds it's own for the work I do so no need to jump ship yet, but I know the time is coming within the next year or so.
          Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

the big problem is that plugins such as neat video are not using GPU during export, so the export is slow as molasses
            Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              the big problem is that plugins such as neat video are not using GPU during export, so the export is slow as molasses
              This is true. However I tend to Shift-Q render those sections as I am working assuming they are complete. Neat will process faster with the GPU when doing the initial process. The Shift-Q render bakes the noise reduction in so that the export is faster. This however assumes that the edit is taking more than one session and I can Shift-Q at the end of a session. If you never render those sections however, there is no benefit on export.
              Edius WG 9.55.7761, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.5.6, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

I can agree with BernH. My 4790K ( second system with no separate GPU at all just QS ) is really as fast as my Threadripper and 1080Ti with any version of EDIUS. Totally different story with Resolve though.
                Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

If I were you John, if you are thinking about getting more into Resolve or using other video post applications, I’d spec the machine for those things and not Edius. In that instance, let’s say you are using Resolving or something else that will use a GPU properly, then I’d recommend you buy the best GPU possible. Although, you will definitely be subject to terrible price to performance no matter what GPU you choose. You’re also likely to want to be looking at Nvidia, AMD make great GPUs but post applications tend to favour Nvidia.

If you have no real interest in other post applications, then I’d agree with what’s already been said. You’d also need to weigh up the options of GPU usage with the small amount of plugins that could benefit, that’s a decision only you can make. Although I would add that if you build for Edius you will be at a massive disadvantage building a modern system if you plan on upgrading Edius.

If your codec usage in Edius for editing and encoding is CPU bound, for instance HQX, then you can simply build around the most powerful CPU you can afford. In that instance I’d even say that AMD could be a better choice, both for processing power and cost. This would also benefit any version of Edius from 8 onward.

If you plan on using anything that’s H.264 or H.265 based as far as any codecs for editing and encoding are concerned, regardless of containers/wrappers, assuming you plan on upgrading Edius at some point, then you definitely want to avoid using Gen 11 Intel. I’m not sure if Edius 8 suffers the same problems as Edius X with Gen 11 Intel, although I’d assume it would for decoding into the timeline. But none the less, I’d strongly recommend that you don’t spec up a machine based on Edius 8 anyway and you should always spec up based on moving forward.

If I were you I’d also disregard any talk about GPU usage for Edius beyond what it does now. GV have not made any specific mention, let alone any commitment as to what may be achievable with Edius and GPU usage in the future. Any talk on the forum about GPU assisted decoding, AMD encoding or any other form of GPU acceleration, has all been speculative talk and nothing that GV have committed to.

Also bear in mind that we are almost one year into the life cycle of Edius 10 and what it is doing right now is the only thing that you should bank on.

Also, unlike with previous versions of Edius, GV have not committed to publishing a roadmap for Edius X.

The sad truth is that you are in a very precarious position right now with regard building a PC for Edius, if you use H.264 and H.265. For an Edius centric build your best and safest option right now is 10th Gen Intel, with the 10850K being the best choice, the 10900K only clocks a few hundred meg higher, which in practice is unnoticeable but will cost a lot more. Although, in any other scenario I would never recommend building with older technology than what’s available at any point in time, especially as far as the CPU is concerned.

You may also want to give GV a shout and ask their support what would they recommend for an Edius build.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
                    [email protected] commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't seen you speak in the forum for a long time.You should be busy. Have a nice day
                    The Intel igpu SDK of edius8 and EDIUS 10.20 have not changed at all, so inference will certainly have problems. I learned from ivideostar that the suppot decoding of AMD and NVIDIA is impossible this year.
                    I learned from Mr. Michael that EDIUS will solve the 11 generation core decoding problem in the next version. I've been waiting for more than a month.
                    If EDIUS continues not to make progress and does not support amd NVIDIA graphics card decoding, ediusx and edius11 will not have market share in the future.
                    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-11-2021, 01:19 PM.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

As mentioned, I use Edius only as a hobby, and not that often now. I am happy to stick with Edius 8 as I cant see much advantage in changing to Edius 9 or Edius X for my needs. I also still want to retain Firewire capture and DVD capture. The upgrade cost from Edius 8 WG is also expensive for me.

I was really interested to read that Ron Evans says he doesn't see much difference in performance between his 4th Gen CPU and the Threadripper. So perhaps I might be disappointed to update my 4th Gen CPU and GPU?

My PC is not just an edit machine, it is my only PC for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hooper View Post

As mentioned, I use Edius only as a hobby, and not that often now. I am happy to stick with Edius 8 as I cant see much advantage in changing to Edius 9 or Edius X for my needs. I also still want to retain Firewire capture and DVD capture. The upgrade cost from Edius 8 WG is also expensive for me.

I was really interested to read that Ron Evans says he doesn't see much difference in performance between his 4th Gen CPU and the Threadripper. So perhaps I might be disappointed to update my 4th Gen CPU and GPU?

My PC is not just an edit machine, it is my only PC for everything else.
                    Hi John. I think Ron was talking about the difference in terms of the i7’s ability to decode H.264 and H.265, something that even a more powerful AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU combination probably can’t beat, due to the i7 having QuickSync. I’m pretty sure Ron’s AMD setup would be noticeably better with HQX files and with other NLE’s that utilise the AMD and Nvidia combination for codec decoding and timeline processing,

Given what you’ve said and that you’ll never upgrade from Edius 8, an Intel 10th Gen system would be the best option right now for performance and cost effectiveness. Any 10th Gen i9 would be great, you don’t necessarily have to go for a ‘K’ variation, the ‘K’ just means the CPU is unlocked and can be overclocked. Although the ‘K’ versions do usually ‘speed boost’ higher under normal load and give a little more poke even when not being overclocked. Avoid anything that says ‘F’, the ‘F’ means it has no iGPU and therefore no QuickSync. In fact, never get an ‘F’ series processor for any Edius setup even if you’ve got a powerful discreet GPU, this is pretty much the same scenario that Ron is talking about when comparing the 4790K with an AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU.

As for GPUs. Keep an eye out on the Scan website. Scan seem to be the official Nvidia distributor in the UK and offer the least scalped prices when they get stock. Indeed, last week they even had new stock of the Nvidia FE editions of the 3090 and 3070 at the original MSRP. As this machine is going to be an investment for some time, I’d recommend only buying a 30 series Nvidia GPU, even the 3060 pretty much beats most of what came before it, I’d definitely avoid 10 and 20 series GPUs moving forward. I’ve built a number of 10th and 11th Gen systems this year and the vast majority of the system components have all come from Scan as they tend to have the best stock levels in the UK and their prices on balance across a system build are probably the lowest as well and definitely for GPUs.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

• John Hooper
                      John Hooper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Dave.

My previous self builds have had components from Scan (very happy with their service). Now I am a bit older, I might get them to build one for me.

So for me, would an i9 be noticebly better than an i7? I like your suggerstion about the 10th Gen CPU.

Anton seems to say that a high end GPU would not make much difference for me?

My existing PC is still working well but some things I would like to speed up, particularly on loading files. I have Sony Sound Forge (now Magiix) and long form audio files seem to take quite a long time to load. Would a 10th Gen CPU speed that up?

Although I had said Photoshop previously, I actually have Corel Paint Shop Pro and would like to speed up some processes.

I might upgrade Edius, but only when it offers me something I need (at a price I can afford)

Originally posted by 363596694-qq-com

I haven't seen you speak in the forum for a long time.You should be busy. Have a nice day
                    The Intel igpu SDK of edius8 and EDIUS 10.20 have not changed at all, so inference will certainly have problems. I learned from ivideostar that the suppot decoding of AMD and NVIDIA is impossible this year.
                    I learned from Mr. Michael that EDIUS will solve the 11 generation core decoding problem in the next version. I've been waiting for more than a month.
                    If EDIUS continues not to make progress and does not support amd NVIDIA graphics card decoding, ediusx and edius11 will not have market share in the future..
                    Hi.

I have been busy with work and also teaching myself Resolve and FCP. Resolve is quite new to me and the last version of FCP that I worked on was over 10 years ago, so FCP is also something that is very new to me now.

I am trying to see if I can make a complete move to Mac from Windows. I have now had three of the latest Apple Silicon M1 Macs and have been massively impressed with what they can do.

My big problem is that I have been using Edius for a very long time and it is taking me a long time to get used to the other editing software. Edius is also the easiest to use of all the main editing software and it is quicker for managing media and getting into an edit, so this is also slowing me down with Resolve and FCP as neither are as easy to use compared to Edius.

That said, both Resolve and FCP are able to perform better than Edius and with less hardware. Timeline editing with Resolve and FCP on a £700 Mac M1 is amazing and noticeably better than Edius on any of my PCs. The export times are way faster as well on the Mac setups. A 4K 60FPS export from Resolve on even a MacBook Air M1 is almost 4 times faster when using 10 Bit H.265 compared to what Edius can do. This is the difference comparing Resolve’s use of Apple’s Video Toolbox on M1 to Edius’ utilisation of QuickSync on 11th Gen. I’m also able to edit certain 10 Bit MP4 H.265 and H.264 files on the Mac setups that Edius has no chance of decoding. I’m doing a new website and YouTube channel for my old Edius stuff, it probably won’t be ready until another couple of months but I will be doing a bunch of comparison videos between it and the stuff on Mac. I will post some stuff when it’s ready.

As for Edius updates etc. To be honest, I’ve given up on Edius, since the release of Edius 10 GV have simply not done enough with it and the performance with 11th Gen Intel is simply not enough. As far as I’m concerned, any updates for Edius and 11th Gen are too late.

Edius only really makes sense for the likes of TV and broadcast etc. This is because their hardware infrastructure is always based on older ‘tried and tested’ technology. A TV or broadcast facility never use bleeding edge technology as it’s too much of a risk. This is why TV and Broadcast use older technology, it may not be the fastest but it has more guarantee of working and has a much higher ‘up-time’. Edius is perfect for these scenarios as it will be matched perfectly to the computer hardware and the codecs being used and is very efficient.

For most other scenarios, such as what most people on this forum will be doing, Edius isn’t really a great fit as GV don’t tailor Edius to the latest movements in technology. More people on this forum will have more up to date hardware than a TV or broadcast facility and this is where Edius falls behind. And before anyone gets all bent out of shape, this is a fact. You can see by the lack of updates for Edius how and why it is not up to date and on the cutting edge, 11th Gen Intel being the perfect example.

Take a look at FCP. Even though FCP is made by the same company that make the OS and hardware that it runs on and is always fine tuned to run on its given platform, even FCP has more updates than Edius. Sure, a lot of that will be fixes and compatibility issues but at least it’s being seen to on a regular basis.

And the best example of keeping on top of things is by Blackmagic and Resolve. They even very quickly had a version for M1/ARM and are constantly bringing out updates. Again, a lot of this will be fixes and issues but at least it is being kept on top of. Although, in the case of Resolve, a lot of the updates are genuine features and not just fixes etc.

I’ll always have an Edius setup as I’ve got a lot of dedicated Canopus and GV hardware for it and I’ve also got certain ingest options that are better on Edius than anything else I have, for now. Like I’ve said, GV are far too late with Edius X fixes for me personally and I can’t keep waiting. The main reason for me buying into Mac as well is because of the terrible time I’ve had with Edius this year.

I wouldn’t worry about Edius losing market share or anything, it’s never had any anyway and I doubt GV really care about such things as they already have a solid TV/broadcast base that utilise Edius as part of much bigger GV hardware installations. The easiest way to look at Edius is if you see it in terms of a fuller GV installation base, play out systems, media servers, ENG setups etc. This is why Edius is successful, it’s not because of what you or I do with it.

My only hope is that Edius sees its way onto Mac and M1/ARM, although that’s very unlikely given the TV and broadcast industries’ typical computer usage (X86).

Anyway, I hope you are well.

Cheers,
                    Dave.

Comment

Dave covered my comments I think. For h264 from my GH5 UHD60P in EDIUS I see little difference between my two systems. They both will just about manage 1 track at 1/2 preview resolution and even with conversion to HQX two track multicam is also slow. By comparison I can do 3 or more tracks full resolution h264 UHD 60P in Resolve 17. Resolve is a much more complex program than EDIUS so takes longer to learn for sure. I started with just the colour page some years ago exporting from EDIUS, creating a LUT to bring back into EDIUS. Then progressed to taking the final HQX file into Resolve to correct individual clips (Resolve will input file and find edit points so reassemble the edit ) .

If you are going to stay with EDIUS 8 and play with Photoshop and Resolve then Dave's recommendation of CPU and GPU will satisfy your needs.
                      Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

from what i hear, one of the main reasons ediusX is a little behind is because of covid 19.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
                          [email protected] commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I suggest they should give EDIUS to Chinese programmers for adaptation. It is very efficient and the price is very cheap. There is no covid 19 problem in China recently,People don't need to wear gauze mask。
                      Working...
                      X