When will Edius X be compatible with Intel 11th Gen iGPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will Edius X be compatible with Intel 11th Gen iGPUs

Anyone from GV care to mention when we will get full compatibility with Intel 11th Gen desktop CPU/iGPUs.

Seeing as Intel QSV is the main and in certain instances the only choice for accelerating certain tasks within Edius for productions coming and going to H.264 & H.265. It’s quite unbelievable that GV aren’t already on top of this, seeing as for the best part, it’s almost mandatory to use Intel for Edius when using the most commonly used codecs.

If Edius’ lack of compatibility with AMD and Nvidia GPUs, aside from the odd, dubious and questionable supporting of acceleration for esoteric codecs, possibly one or two filters and NVENC output which doesn’t fully work, isn’t bad enough. It really is getting to be far too much when you add Intel to the unsupported list.

Also. Why isn’t there any update and/or support information from GV with regard Edius and Intel 11th Gen?

Checkout my Edius video at www.Edius.co.uk

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

why are you the only person complaining?
    don't take this the wrong way but..... I don't see anyone else making a big fuss about this at the moment.

thanks!

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
      [email protected] commented
      Editing a comment
      At the beginning of February, I found this problem. At that time, Intel's processor was not on the market, and I got the engineering sample. But now the latest official drive on April 16 still can't solve this problem. The performance of uhd750 is less than half of that of uhd630,The performance of EDIUS is too poor. But His friend premiere ,doubled the Play back performance.

I don't think he is the only one complaining, I am annoyed too and so will be lot of others in the next weeks. So far no one has discovered the problem.

I built up a new desktop for hundreds of bucks with i7-11700 and now export is only half as fast as before - that is crazy!

And yes, the only reason for me to buy intel CPU was Edius and Quicksync. Otherwise it would habe been AMD with much more cores. But on Youtube you can see Edius exports with 64 core AMD CPU rendering as slow/fast as 8 core intel CPUs with Quicksync.

Of course it is always a risk to buy brand new hardware that may not be compatible. But communication from GV is very bad, and no one finds any information about this on Edius website.
    And I always thought QS is core competence of Edius...

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
      Editing a comment
      At the same price,In fact, the performance of AMD processor is much better than that of Intel, but EDIUS has to use QSV technology and is forced to buy Intel iGpu processor,You can check my post. I've sent this message before and it's not valued, If only the core graphics card is used, the playback performance of uhd750 is only half of that of uhd630. If you use core graphics card + independent graphics card, the performance is only one third,I found this problem in early February. I got the engineering sample processor in advance, and now the new driver is still the same. EDIUS official said it is adapting SDK. If it wasn't for EDIUS, I would have bought AMD processor.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 04-23-2021, 04:55 PM.

Originally posted by Harald_Westermann View Post
    I don't think he is the only one complaining, I am annoyed too and so will be lot of others in the next weeks. So far no one has discovered the problem.

I built up a new desktop for hundreds of bucks with i7-11700 and now export is only half as fast as before - that is crazy!

And yes, the only reason for me to buy intel CPU was Edius and Quicksync. Otherwise it would habe been AMD with much more cores. But on Youtube you can see Edius exports with 64 core AMD CPU rendering as slow/fast as 8 core intel CPUs with Quicksync.

Of course it is always a risk to buy brand new hardware that may not be compatible. But communication from GV is very bad, and no one finds any information about this on Edius website.

Hi Harald.

Yes, there will be a lot of people suffering with these issues. If you are someone on old technology, such as an old camera, old Edius and old computer, then the kind of cutting edge issues that you and I are talking about won’t be a problem. However, people like ourselves and many others who are serious about their work and who invest properly into and stay up to date with technology, will totally understand how bad these issues are.

The issue with 11th Gen is very messy. My Panther Canyon NUC, which also suffers from incompatibility due to it being 11th Gen and is only 4 core 8 thread, will perform better than my latest build which has an 11600K desktop that has more cores and threads. So, it seems that variations of the DG1/Xe based iGPUs are reacting differently. My NUC will actually export 8K 60 QSV but my 11600K just slows to a halt.

Just like you, I’ve specifically built around Intel for accelerated decoding and encoding of H.264/5 with Quick Sync, because that’s exactly what Edius wants. Also, I would have built a powerful AMD machine but couldn’t because of the incompatibility between Edius’ decoding of H.264/5 in software (CPU) only.

Anyway, thank you for your input and proving that I’m not the only person ‘complaining’ about these unforgivable issues.

GV real have to pull their finger out, start communicating direct to the users via the forums and start giving us updates, roadmaps and compatibility fixes.

Cheers,
    Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
      Editing a comment
      You can continue to send e-mail to EDIUS for feedback on requirements. H264 and h265 are common in China and Japan at least. As NLE software, it must have the ability of high frame rate and fast decoding. EDIUS software development team is in Japan. I really wonder why they don't pay attention to this. Sony, Panasonic and Canon are promoting h265 and Put into large-scale use in 2018 years.

Originally posted by Harald_Westermann View Post

sorry to hear your having issues.

I am not so upset at the moment as I am able to edit 4k footage and export to h.264 or h.265 without any issues.
    8k.... at the moment is not so important and in my view a little bit of an overkill. it has it's place but its not that important for the majority of users.
    Give edius 9 a go!

Comment

Originally posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
      why are you the only person complaining?
      don't take this the wrong way but..... I don't see anyone else making a big fuss about this at the moment.

thanks!
      He is certainly not the only one complaining. Lots of us have complained about the lack of support even the moderators are providing. Just look at the sticky's at the top of the forum when you open the forum. They haven't even updated the the thread about Beldon acquiring Grass Valley which is now owned by Black Dragon. That was 2010. Black Dragon is not interested in the individual users. That is not their focus. We are just a pain in their *** and they just haven't figured out how to get rid of us yet. Big corporate users are their focal point. Those users have other access to support than this forum. So you are wasting your time to get in a huff about the lack of support.
      Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by burnandreturn View Post
        Black Dragon is not interested in the individual users. That is not their focus. We are just a pain in their *** and they just haven't figured out how to get rid of us yet. Big corporate users are their focal point. Those users have other access to support than this forum. So you are wasting your time to get in a huff about the lack of support.
        I totally agree with you. In the past it seemed as if GV did support Edius at the ‘normal’ user level but that’s definitely not the case now.

GV have made absolutely no effort at all to communicate with end users via any of the forums. This is especially frustrating when you bear in mind all the hardware related issues when building a PC for Edius X. GV should have very specific guides for builds and off the shelf systems, guides that clearly explain what’s required for specific codec editing and also more importantly, what not to buy/use for specific types of codecs, workflows and editing scenarios.

This latest problem with Edius not being optimised for Intel 11th Gen is just a massive joke, here’s why. Right now, you can’t use AMD very effectively with Edius and I’m not even at all sure if Edius leverages AMD processors’ cores/thread count when using software only codecs, such as HQX. That right there is a huge problem because as we all know, AMD desktop CPUs are more powerful than Intel and in spite of the scalping, still offer better value. Maybe Ron on Threadripper or anyone on 5900 etc. can let us know what Edius is like with AMD for pure software/CPU tasks.

Then there’s the whole problem with Edius not leveraging GPU performance from AMD or Nvidia, aside from some filters, possibly, some codecs that hardly anyone uses and NVENC which GV have not implemented properly.

Because H.264 and H.265 are by far the most used camera codecs out there and Edius has no effective way of dealing with them with its own software/CPU codec, we have to rely on Intel. But not just any Intel. If you use a powerful Intel workstation CPU you won’t get as much performance out of it when using H.264/5 when compared to doing the same on a Core Desktop CPU such as an i9. This is also in spite of the fact that the workstation class CPUs are way more powerful than the desktop CPU.

In that last example of compatibility issues, you may as well be using any AMD if you’re gonna use an Intel workstation CPU, as neither will give you best performance in Edius using H.264/5 and even with Intel workstation CPUs I’m still not sure if Edius leverages their raw processing ability.

Now why is this the case. Simple. In order for Edius to work with H.264/5 in an meaningful way, it has to use Intel’s Quick Sync Video QSV. QSV is only really available on the desktop CPUs. In the past some Xeons had it but for the best part, QSV is a desktop and mobile technology. Hence why Intel workstations and any AMD CPUs are a bad fit for Edius for most edit scenarios. Again, even though these are the more powerful CPU.

So that brings me to the point of this post. Given that Intel’s 11th Gen desktop CPUs are the most powerful CPUs with QSV and on paper is exactly what Edius requires. The fact that Grass Valley have not made Edius compatible with Intel 11th Gen is a massive issue and is basically hamstringing not only their own product but also us, the end user.

Comment

With EDIUS a UHD 60P 8bit h264 file from the GH5 plays about the same on either the Threadripper 12 core or my old 4790K with QS. Neither will do a second track with pip. On the Threadripper one track of UHD uses about 80% CPU but with full buffers. In comparison Resolve with the 1080Ti disabled will happily do 2 tracks with PIP with CPU at 45%. So this is like for like just the CPU. With the 1080Ti enabled in Resolve it will do multicam with 4 tracks. So you can see the value of using the GPU. Just hope we do not have to wait too much longer for it in EDIUS. With 8K starting to be more available and h264 and h265 being the main codecs I cannot see how EDIUS can compete without GPU support. Even if 8K is not your thing multicam with 4K is what I do as an amateur.
          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

finally!! ppl are talking about this issue! hooray!

so is it the same problem with edius 9? as i understand.. it can play and encode h.264 and h.265.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
              With EDIUS a UHD 60P 8bit h264 file from the GH5 plays about the same on either the Threadripper 12 core or my old 4790K with QS. Neither will do a second track with pip. On the Threadripper one track of UHD uses about 80% CPU but with full buffers. In comparison Resolve with the 1080Ti disabled will happily do 2 tracks with PIP with CPU at 45%. So this is like for like just the CPU. With the 1080Ti enabled in Resolve it will do multicam with 4 tracks. So you can see the value of using the GPU. Just hope we do not have to wait too much longer for it in EDIUS. With 8K starting to be more available and h264 and h265 being the main codecs I cannot see how EDIUS can compete without GPU support. Even if 8K is not your thing multicam with 4K is what I do as an amateur.
              Thanks for that, Ron.

Your example also calls something else into question. Your Threadripper editing like for like between Edius and Resolve is showing an appreciable uplift in software decoding for Resolve. So the questions are. Is this because Resolve is simply working more efficiently than Edius with the AMD’s processing abilities, or, does Resolve have its own optimised software codec for H.264, or maybe, is it a combination.

What’s even more telling and proving to be way worse for Edius, is when you introduce your Nvidia GPU into the equation. Once you’re using your GPU, the margins are simply too much to draw a comparison between the two. In fact, it’s way past embarrassing how Edius is so far behind.

I’ve also done more tests that you may find interesting. One in particular is showing clear latency with Edius when using particular codecs. I’ll surmise for now that this is due to the seemingly botched bolt on functions that Edius has had over the years. As in. Because Edius was designed in a particular way so as to be CPU bound, which was great back in the day. Now there has to be ways to bolt on additions to Edius’ functionality that aren’t native to its core. My surmising is that in order to get Edius to do certain stuff that’s contrary to its original design/core/programming, it has to almost emulate functions and run/patch them instead of being part of the core functionality/processing. Think Mac M1 running Windows. This is why I’m suggesting where the latency issues are coming from.

I’ll do a video demonstrating that issue and also a bunch more issues once I’ve got time.

As for when will we see GPU acceleration. As far as I’m concerned it’s already too late. Now, I know people will disagree with me on that one and they’ll accept that it’s done when it’s done and that’s fine for anyone who sees it that way. My reasoning for it being too late, is this. I’ve already started looking at Resolve, which I had no interest in until my issues with Edius.

Anyway, Ron. Thanks for your examples, it really does help to clarify the situation that Edius is in right now and with this Intel 11th Gen situation.

Cheers,
              Dave.

Comment

Ron, do you have edius 9? are the issues the same as with edius 10?
                Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 04-24-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Yes I have EDIUS 9 and EDIUS X both WG . There are some strange issue between them. If I create a test project in EDIUS X, about what I reported above , it plays fine in EDIUS 9. Marginal difference in performance. My GH5 files are V Log so EDIUS X auto adjusts the file. If I save and bring that project into EDIUS 9 it plays corrected in the same way as in EDIUS X. If I create the project, same files, in EDIUS 9 it does not play as well even with PCC to adjust for V Log. If i save this project and then open again it plays better!. For any useful performance EDIUS needs to be at 1/2 preview resolution for me. At the moment neither do what I want. They work fine with HD files but when faced with h264 UHD they will not perform well. Really looking forward to GPU support before I get my head around multicam in Resolve.
                  Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Comment

Yes I have EDIUS 9 and EDIUS X both WG . There are some strange issue between them. If I create a test project in EDIUS X, about what I reported above , it plays fine in EDIUS 9. Marginal difference in performance. My GH5 files are V Log so EDIUS X auto adjusts the file. If I save and bring that project into EDIUS 9 it plays corrected in the same way as in EDIUS X. If I create the project, same files, in EDIUS 9 it does not play as well even with PCC to adjust for V Log. If i save this project and then open again it plays better!. For any useful performance EDIUS needs to be at 1/2 preview resolution for me. At the moment neither do what I want. They work fine with HD files but when faced with h264 UHD they will not perform well. Really looking forward to GPU support before I get my head around multicam in Resolve.
                    thanks Ron for your reply. sounds like edius 9 is the better version.

Comment

For my workflow and features I use they are effectively identical.
                      Ron Evans

Comment

Working...
                      X