How Can I Speed Up Edius 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Speed Up Edius 7

I'm starting to use Edius 7 more heavily, and wanted a laptop to do the job, with the speed is pretty bad. New laptop. Here are the specs. What could improve the speed? I have run all diagnostics on this fairly new, clean Windows 10 machine, registry cleanup, etc...

MSI GE75 Raider Gaming Laptop - 10th Gen Intel
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
    32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
    Windows 10 Home
    GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 240Hz 1080p video card

How is it slow? What are you trying to edit?
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Hart View Post
      I'm starting to use Edius 7 more heavily, and wanted a laptop to do the job, with the speed is pretty bad. New laptop. Here are the specs. What could improve the speed? I have run all diagnostics on this fairly new, clean Windows 10 machine, registry cleanup, etc...

MSI GE75 Raider Gaming Laptop - 10th Gen Intel
      Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
      32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
      Windows 10 Home
      GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 240Hz 1080p video card

1. Never ever use a registry cleaner
      2. Be sure all 3 Grass Valley folders are excluded from Windows Security and or any other third party antivirus/malware program
      3. Empty appdata/local/Temp daily
      4. Set power options to maximum performance (some laptops don't give you that plan, if that is the case, come back and I tell you which registry key to modify in order to reveal the hidden power plans)
      5. Disable fast startup
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

why is my reply above considered spam???????

Anton-01215.png
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thank you Anton!

Comment

I have disabled most startup items in Windows. In the attached screenshot I literally have one sequence, one video. I can click around on the video, but when I just hit play to start the video, or pause the video, it takes seconds, with the WIndows hourglass showing to start playing. There are no effects. This is just a straight video. Task Manager only shows Edius using resources when this happens, as shown in the second attachment here. Very new laptop with the specs above. If I get into any significant editing project, I think this is going to not be usable. Not sure what to do. Anton, or others, any suggestions on what options inside Edius might cause such a software slowdown? I'm going deeper into analyzing every resource turned on inside Windows 10. I don't know what to test. Help if possible.
            Attached Files

Comment

Derek, I noticed that you have ESET running. Have you excluded the Grass valley folders in AppData, Program Files and your media drive? Also, was ESET disabled when you installed edius? If not, disable it and reinstall Edius. Running virus scanners can mess up an edius install process.
              Edius WG 9.55.7303, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Thank you BernH. I do believe I have these set properly in ESET, but I honestly cannot remember if I installed Edius after ESET. I think I at least turned off ESET when installing. Is that good enough, or do you think I could have a flaw in the Edius install because ESET was installed first, even if virus protection was paused. Let me know if you believe my screen shots shows enough exclusions in ESET. Note that I added the four exclusions to the Performance Exclusions and the Detection Exclusions. I will assume I'm not hurting anything by having in both.

So while I do have concerns over speed issues inside Edius, I have located one that is very specific. In the attached screenshot you will see 3 videos on the timeline. Only the first one has the problem of the play/pause button taking 5 to 9 seconds each time, actually freezing Edius temporarily. The other 2 videos work very fast, no problem pausing and resuming. The 3 videos are located in the same folder, and that folder has been excluded in ESET. So then I looked at the specs for the videos. Is there something inside Edius related to the player used, or the codec used, to play this first video. It literally comes straight from zoom, but the specs are different.

Video 1 specs: 1920X1080 Data Rate: 1237 kbps - Total bitrate: 1364 kbps
                Video 2 specs: 1280X720 Data Rate: 705 kbps - Total bitrate: 831 kbps
                Video 3 specs: almost same as #2

Is there something in the project settings, or some other settings in Edius, that makes it a problem for Edius to be playing Video #1 at the higher resolution and data and bitrates?

And I'm showing my Project Settings, which do show 1920x1080, but I'm not sure what that really means for editing videos with different resolutions. I don't really need my videos to be 1920X1080 since I'm building for the web, so perhaps I just convert to that first.

Expertise appreciated on this!
                Attached Files

Comment

can I see the full project settings, click change current settings in order to show all

what is the frame rate of the clips? can you send me one for testing with antonsvideo.wetransfer.com

make sure optical flow is not set as default
                  https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...mo-default.png

can you go to EDIUS help menu and generate a system report and attach it here
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Screen shot of project settings attached - cannot find the optical flow option, I'm in Edius 7 not sure if there's an equivalent.

System report attached.

Video file sent via wetransfer from [email protected]
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have received your file, it is 25p
                      I tried it in a 25p project and it works fine
                      can you try it in a 25p project?

also, copy the file you sent me to an internal SSD and test in EDIUS in a 25p project

I could not see anything unusual in the system report
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Thank you BernH. I do believe I have these set properly in ESET, but I honestly cannot remember if I installed Edius after ESET. I think I at least turned off ESET when installing. Is that good enough, or do you think I could have a flaw in the Edius install because ESET was installed first, even if virus protection was paused. Let me know if you believe my screen shots shows enough exclusions in ESET. Note that I added the four exclusions to the Performance Exclusions and the Detection Exclusions. I will assume I'm not hurting anything by having in both.

So while I do have concerns over speed issues inside Edius, I have located one that is very specific. In the attached screenshot you will see 3 videos on the timeline. Only the first one has the problem of the play/pause button taking 5 to 9 seconds each time, actually freezing Edius temporarily. The other 2 videos work very fast, no problem pausing and resuming. The 3 videos are located in the same folder, and that folder has been excluded in ESET. So then I looked at the specs for the videos. Is there something inside Edius related to the player used, or the codec used, to play this first video. It literally comes straight from zoom, but the specs are different.

Video 1 specs: 1920X1080 Data Rate: 1237 kbps - Total bitrate: 1364 kbps
                        Video 2 specs: 1280X720 Data Rate: 705 kbps - Total bitrate: 831 kbps
                        Video 3 specs: almost same as #2

Is there something in the project settings, or some other settings in Edius, that makes it a problem for Edius to be playing Video #1 at the higher resolution and data and bitrates?

And I'm showing my Project Settings, which do show 1920x1080, but I'm not sure what that really means for editing videos with different resolutions. I don't really need my videos to be 1920X1080 since I'm building for the web, so perhaps I just convert to that first.

Expertise appreciated on this!
                        Disabling/pausing the virus protection during install is enough. I do it whenever I install a new version. If by chance I forget and I notice problems, I simply uninstall and reinstall without deactivation, but make sure I disable the virus scanner. The virus scanner exclusions ensure that the virus scanner isn't interferring with edius once it is enabled again.
                        Edius WG 9.55.7303, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Thank you both!

Anton does the attached image look like I have properly chosen a 25p project? With the video on an m.2 super fast ssd drive, I still get the same response.

However, if I set the system to proxy it works fine, which I guess is not really a problem when I detect a video like this. Just makes more time for constant conversion of the video, or waiting for the proxy process to complete.

Thoughts?

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you both!

Anton does the attached image look like I have properly chosen a 25p project? With the video on an m.2 super fast ssd drive, I still get the same response.

However, if I set the system to proxy it works fine, which I guess is not really a problem when I detect a video like this. Just makes more time for constant conversion of the video, or waiting for the proxy process to complete.

Thoughts?
                            set to 2 channel audio (stereo) and enable Lanczos3 HQ for better down and up scaling

set overscan to 0%

I am going to install 7.53 on my laptop and see how your file plays, meanwhile it plays perfect in 9 and X
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

I can confirm that your file plays terrible in 7.53

it plays totally smooth in 9 and X, maybe time to upgrade?

or right click the file in the bin and convert to HQ, then it will be smooth once you add the HQ to timeline
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X