Edius does not support Intel SDK for latest GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius does not support Intel SDK for latest GPU

I’ve started this post in response to a comment made in another post and so as not to take the other post off topic.

I’m responding to 363596694-qq-com and their following comment:

“Finally see your video, our region has time.difference. Sorry I won't send a link.I shouldn't buy a7s3 and uhd750 too early.Uhd750 encodes a bit slower than uhd630,The gap is very small,I've tested it.
    We have to wait for EDIUS to adapt to the new graphics card. The iris Xe on the 11th generation notebook has at least some performance improvement, while the uhd750 on the desktop has poor compatibility,Decoder occupancy is very low,I would rather turn off Intel QSV decoding.
    I hope GV company will improve the decoder as soon as possible.”

Yes, it’s a bit strange that the UHD750 iGPU has such problems, especially bearing in mind that the Xe iGPU on the latest NUCs are performing very well.

I’ve contacted Edius support and they have confirmed that Edius does not support the latest Intel SDK for the new GPUs. They also said that Grass Valley and Intel are working on the issue.

What’s interesting is that the UHD750 iGPUs on most of the Gen 11 desktop CPUs and the Xe iGPUs on most of the Gen 11 NUCs, are all based on DG1. The interesting thing is that Xe on my Gen 11 NUC is performing noticeably better than UHD630 on my i9 and is able to export 8K with QS. It’s strange that while Grass Valley acknowledge no support for the latest Intel GPUs via their SDK, that I’m seeing noticeably better performance with Xe. I wonder if Grass Valley are aware of this obvious improvement in spite of dedicated support for the GPU?

My other videos also show a noticeable improvement with Edius’ performance with H.264 decoding.

What’s also very interesting is that the Xe iGPU on my NUC is also increasing performance of the Primary Colour Corrector when using the iGPU as the renderer for PCC.

Probably the most interesting thing is that Grass Valley have made absolutely no attempt to advise Edius users about anything to do with Gen 11 CPUs and iGPUs with regards performance issues with Edius.

In fact, there really should be information here on the Grass Vally Edius forum advising Edius users of such matters, given that this forum is likely to be the first port of call for any Edius user who does not have a support contract with Grass Valley.

On the point of the lack of information from Grass Valley, I will be making more videos that show issues with Edius and various hardware. These videos are designed to inform Edius users of hardware limitations and/or general bugs that they may not be aware of due to a lack of information available about such things. If anyone, including Grass Valley, would like to contribute current and up to date information that they would like me to include in my videos and posts, then please feel free to PM me here on the forum.

BTW. Can anyone confirm if they are able to export 8K Quick Sync using UHD750.
    Checkout my Edius video at www.Edius.co.uk

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

In February this year, I got Intel's 11th generation desktop processor. At that time, there was no core graphics driver, so there was no way to release the evaluation. The processor has made great progress. If the problem of high power consumption is put aside, the performance is very close to that of AMD ryzen5000 series processor of the same specification.14 nanometer technology is really backward.
    During this period, I found a very funny problem. I turned on the avx avx2 instruction set function to bypass the installation detection. After installing ediusx, I turned off the avx2 avx instruction set. Ediusx can work normally and has little effect on performance.In fact, we can run ediusx without avx2.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      In February this year, I got Intel's 11th generation desktop processor. At that time, there was no core graphics driver, so there was no way to release the evaluation. The processor has made great progress. If the problem of high power consumption is put aside, the performance is very close to that of AMD ryzen5000 series processor of the same specification.14 nanometer technology is really backward.
      During this period, I found a very funny problem. I turned on the avx avx2 instruction set function to bypass the installation detection. After installing ediusx, I turned off the avx2 avx instruction set. Ediusx can work normally and has little effect on performance.In fact, we can run ediusx without avx2.
      What are your encode times using your 11th gen CPU?

Can you export 8K with Edius or other software?

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
        [email protected] commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a computer which is the working group version. Uhd630 can export 8K. The professional uhd750 can't export 8K. 4K can be exported normally. Output 8K small secret we know on the line, do not tell others., thank you. In my case, when 8K enters the background, it will always queue up and never output. But sometimes it can output. It depends on luck.
        Shana this software can output 8K, coding test uhd630, 750 performance is almost the same

He has a i9 11900t with a TDP of 35W, not exactly what you would use for a editing system. Given the current lack of support for the 11th generation Intel processors, any benchmarks from that system have little value for me.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
        Editing a comment
        Yes, just don't buy the 11th generation desktop processor at this stage. At present, only premiere has SDK adaptation in all NLE software. One video track playback is greatly improved. However, with more than two video tracks, the performance is not as good as uhd630.
        35W refers to the power consumption at 1.5GHz,TDP has nothing to do with the actual power of CPU, especially Intel CPU. The power of 11900t pl2 can reach 225W. In fact, when the main frequency of 11900t is 4.4ghz, the performance is the same as that of i9 9900ks 5.2Ghz.
        Here we only discuss the compatibility between EDIUS and the new core graphics card.
        Last edited by [email protected]; 04-12-2021, 04:20 AM.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I have a computer which is the working group version. Uhd630 can export 8K. The professional uhd750 can't export 8K. 4K can be exported normally. Output 8K small secret we know on the line, do not tell others., thank you. In my case, when 8K enters the background, it will always queue up and never output. But sometimes it can output. It depends on luck.
      Shana this software can output 8K, coding test uhd630, 750 performance is almost the same
      Are you sure you are exporting 8K with the UHD630? I’ve made a video about how the UHD630 can not export 8K.

Comment

In addition, my English is not very good,If you are interested, you can feed back this question, I don't know how to express it. Have you ever found that EDIUS costs too much CPU in 8K project? When only using full resolution to play MP3 music, I estimate that the load of 1165g7 processor is more than 50%,raster video window consumes a lot of CPU performance,Inexplicably a lot of consumption. But Premiere and DaVinci high resolution project will not be the case.

Sorry,I only have a laptop with a workgroup version, hd630 can only decode 8K, but cannot encode 8K. If the project is 8K, no wonder gvjob has been queuing, but there is no error report.
        Shana is a bit tricky. it chose the (QSV) 8K output. Just after opening the task manager, the core graphics card has no utilization rate. It should have used the CPU encoder without telling me that the hardware encoder(QSV) is not available
        I just used the trial version of Workgroup on uhd750, which can encode 8K.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by [email protected]; 04-12-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

That’s not what TDP is. Intel bins their processors, and one with a TDP of 35 Watts likely failed validation at a workload that processors with a higher TDP were able to sustain. The safeguards in the processor and supporting BIOS will throttle to protect the system from damage and crashes (though the safeguards can be disabled in most BIOSes).

Also, let’s be clear that the 11th generation Intel processors were not released yet in February, so you have an engineering sample that may not represent final silicon.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
            Editing a comment
            I have replaced the processor.,It is the official version and has the same problem. EDIUS staff confirmed that it does not support uhd750. Intel has modified the SDK, so it is not recommended to buy the 11th generation desktop processor at present.
            Intel staff told me that the frequency of the graphics card is only 50 MHz lower than that of the official release version. In the processor part, the frequency of Beiqiao is locked to 1200MHz, and the official version is 1600MHZ. It will only affect the performance of the game with high frame rate, It will not affect the performance of other software.

I don’t dispute that Edius doesn’t yet properly support the 11th generation Intel processors. I’m saying that a processor with a 35W TDP is a poor choice if performance is paramount, and any benchmarks from it are largely irrelevant.

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
            Editing a comment
            For those who often play with hardware, Intel's TDP is just a fig leaf to hide the power consumption. In fact, the power consumption can be tested with a power meter. If EDIUS can support NVIDIA or AMD H264 / hevc hardware decoding, I will not choose Intel products at all.I've tried other NLEs, and the probability of software crash is much higher than that of EDIUS.
            I can tell you clearly that the performance of i9 11900t is between 9900k and 5800x. EDIUS full load when the CPU will soar to 160W, within the scope of warranty, I'm not afraid at all.
        Working...
        X