Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Edius X & BMD UltraStudio 4K Mini.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Edius X & BMD UltraStudio 4K Mini.

Anyone else have this issue?

You go from edit mode in Edius X using the UltraStudio 4K Mini to ingest and then back to edit. Once back in edit mode you no longer have audio from the 4K Mini, you don't even have any VU indication on the 4K Mini although Edius clearly indicates audio. If you switch to another audio destination the audio is present. The only way to get audio output back using the 4K Mini is to save, exit and re-launch the project. Although, once you ingest again the issue starts over and requires another restart.

I have a couple of other BMD options and don't have this issue with them.

I'm using the latest V12 of the BMD software on all my BMD devices.
    Checkout my Edius video at www.Edius.co.uk

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

try 11.1 driver, later drivers have some audio issues related with capture hardware

also, what is the default sound device in control panel, sound
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
      try 11.1 driver, later drivers have some audio issues related with capture hardware

also, what is the default sound device in control panel, sound
      Will try 11.1, I didn’t bother changing the driver as 12 works perfectly with my other BMD stuff.

Default sound device is usually a Focusrite USB audio interface, although, the problem happens even if I set the BMD interface as the default. In either event, the BMD interface will cut out within Edius regardless of it being the default system audio interface or not.

Anton, would you by chance know the minimum spec for 4K/59.95 HQX ingesting?

Cheers,
      Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

Anton, would you by chance know the minimum spec for 4K/59.95 HQX ingesting?

Cheers,
        Dave.
        No, I don't at this stage, but I can confirm capture issues going back to EDIUS 3 with all versions producing occasional silly messages like PCI bus busy or drive too slow
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

No, I don't at this stage, but I can confirm capture issues going back to EDIUS 3 with all versions producing occasional silly messages like PCI bus busy or drive too slow
          Thanks Anton. Now you mention it I seem to remember an ingest issue we had with 4/4.5 with some PCI related thing.

It's just getting a little tedious now with the total lack of active GV support for Edius X and more so any system specs.

What's even more perplexing is the fact that Edius X is now doing some pretty cool stuff with Intel Gen 11 CPUs and the DG1 based iGPUs and their version of Quick Sync, yet GV make no mention of these things. Makes you wonder if they're keeping on top of such things and/or even know.

It really does feel like you are on your own when building specifically for Edius X, it's very much like rolling dice.

Comment

what is the source of the 4k 59.9p? are you feeding it with SDI or HDMI? are the cables of high quality?

are you then capturing via USB-C or Thunderbolt? are the cables as short as possible?
            Anton Strauss

Comment

what is the source of the 4k 59.9p? are you feeding it with SDI or HDMI? are the cables of high quality?

are you then capturing via USB-C or Thunderbolt? are the cables as short as possible?
              The source is an Xbox Series X, feeding the BMD interface HDMI, capturing via Thunderbolt you can’t use USB C, Thunderbolt cable from BMD to PC is a 70cm active Thunderbolt 4 cable, all HDMI cables are 1 meter 48Gbs HDMI 2.1 capable of 8K.

The exact same setup works on my Mac and also with OBS on the PC. I can also use the exact same setup for recording 4K/59.94 uncompressed 10 Bit YUV with BMD Media Express, although that chews up my drive space at about 80GB per minute, hence wanting to use HQX.

The only problem in all this is Edius.

Comment

Yes I believe you, there has always been some sort of bottleneck with EDIUS capture
                Do you still have 9.55 installed, If so can you test and see it it also fails

If 9.55 fails, uninstall it and install 9.30
                I was able to capture via Matrox Hardware perfectly until 9.30 and it has been broken since 9.31
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Yes I believe you, there has always been some sort of bottleneck with EDIUS capture
                  Do you still have 9.55 installed, If so can you test and see it it also fails

If 9.55 fails, uninstall it and install 9.30
                  I was able to capture via Matrox Hardware perfectly until 9.30 and it has been broken since 9.31
                  Good idea Anton, I’ll try and get a few hours spare through the week and have a go at 9. I don’t have 9 on my machine anymore, so I’ll have to use another activation. If I go backwards to earlier versions, I take it I’ll have to deactivate, uninstall, install older version, re-activate. If so, I suppose I’ll run into the activation limitations?

While I don’t mind doing this as I’m curious to see if 9 does work, it’s definitely not something I’d want to implement as a workflow. Swapping between versions to capture and edit would be a proper pain, I’m almost doing the same now, as in, I have to close Edius and reopen after I’ve captured because the audio goes missing after capturing. It’s very boring.

To be honest, it’s only Edius keeping me on Windows at the moment and I’m not sure how long I can keep stomaching these issues with Edius. It’s probably just me but it feels that I’m running into way more issues and niggles with Edius 10 than anything before it (except maybe 6).

I specifically went Thunderbolt for that BMD interface so I could use it with the Mac as well as my PC. If I had more of a grip on Resolve I’d probably migrate but the problem is that I know Edius so well and for the best part it really is very fast for my workflows. Although, at some point I may have to bite the bullet and make the switch if I keep getting stopped in my tracks with issues.

Again, it’s probably just me because I’m banging my head against the wall at the moment with Edius and not thinking very positively about it. But it really does feel like it’s losing its way, all of these half arsed ‘new directions’ don’t mean anything if we are still suffering legacy issues and the amount of ground it’s losing against the major NLEs due to the lack of GPU utilisation, is really telling.

It is really quite a sad situation.

Comment

you do not need to deactivate X in order to install 9, both can coexist happy, I use both and I use 9 for all capture jobs
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

you do not need to deactivate X in order to install 9, both can coexist happy, I use both and I use 9 for all capture jobs
                      Alright Anton. I wasn't talking about deactivating 10. I'm talking about loading the latest V9 and if necessary having to start going backwards if there's issues with the latest V9. If you update the software then that's obviously OK as far as the license is concerned but if you go backwards doesn't this require an uninstall as you can't downgrade without an uninstall? If that is the case, would this require the license being deactivated and re-activated again when going backwards with versions of 9? Or do you just leave the license alone, uninstall 9, install the previous 9 and then the license just sees it? Cheers, Dave.

Comment

No need to deactivate 9.55 when you uninstall it and then install 9.30
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

No need to deactivate 9.55 when you uninstall it and then install 9.30
                          Nice one Anton 👍 Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X