Shuttle/Jog Hardware for Edius Pro 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle/Jog Hardware for Edius Pro 9?

I have looked around for a solution to this question - which others have also asked - but answers seem to evade the actual problem. As a pro editor of old (Quad editing with mag liquid, Helical editing with chinagraph, and later on NLE Avid systems), on NLE I need an external (USB) Shuttle/Jog along with the Edius Keyboard. I have JLCooper and Behringer X-Touch surfaces which emulate Mackie, but alas, Edius doesn't (seem) to support Mackie...... Surely this must be most important for a true Video Editor? What I can see is that it's possible for some control surfaces to emulate an Edius USB Keyboard, but which ones do? And how do we go about modifying software/hardware to get something so important to work with Edius. Thanks for anyone who has some positive solutions! P'Nut
    Last edited by PetePNut; 12-27-2020, 08:10 PM.

Honestly no it is not important...unless you are used to using it. I hardly ever see anyone using one now. The keyboard and Mouse has taken over the edit landscape. There have been a few posts on here about people using it. If you were here in the US, I would send you a Contour Shuttle Pro2 for free if you paid for the shipping (I have a couple of new ones that have been in the closet for a while). Try a search here or maybe a few of the guys or girls will chip in.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

I used to build and sell systems. In the early days I used to recommend the Contour Shuttles Pro or Shuttle Express for people that were used to a jog/Shuttle, as they are very inexpensive and can work with just about any software. However, as people became more used to using the mouse and keyboard, they often started not using the shuttles, so the inexpensive nature of them make is less painful when they start to gather dust. I personally have a Shuttle Express, but have not touched it in 15 years or more, so it is no longer even connected to my system.
      Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Contour Design Shuttle-Xpress NLE Multimedia Controller 00496-0 (bhphotovideo.com)

Still use it on my film capture Edius 6 Machine. So handy for finding and trimming bad film frames, particularly at scene changes.
        Regards,

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
        #2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
        #3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53

Comment

I use the Shuttle Pro V2. There are 15 buttons you can customise with shortcuts or macros. I find it very useful, using it with my left hand and the mouse / keyboard with my right hand.

I don't edit every day or for a living and find trying to remember all the keyboard shortcuts difficult.

You can find it here in the UK for around £89 from Amazon or second hand on eBay.
          Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

Firstly, thanks very much for your replies - it's useful to see your various responses, as I'm sure that others that are asking the same question will benefit.

The choice between KB/Mouse or Shuttle/Jog may well be historic, what you are used to, or maybe just a Brit thing! However, the benefits of a Shuttle/Jog are:

* Simultaneous control of multiple Decks (or File Bins).
            * The "natural" feel of Rock-and-Roll Jog around an Edit Point.
            * Simultaneous operations - e.g., Jog around Edit Point, then hit Select Edit Point - button assigned around Jog Wheel under fingertips.
            * Comfort - especially when combined with an ergonomic design that reduces RSI.

To me - having Keyboard, Mouse and Shuttle/Jog is the modern ideal setup. Keyboard for general Keyboard operations ands more obscure editing functions, Mouse for Mouse functions, and Shuttle/Jog for "transport" control and Edit Points . Further definable Shuttle/Jog Buttons add to ergonomics.

I retired as a Broadcast Systems Engineer a few years back, but in the past two years I've had Radio Hams and Video/Audio Engineers asking about Shuttle/Jog for various hardware and software. As always "standards" raises its ugly head - Mackie (MCU), MIDI, HUI, Eucon, OSC, and KB Emulation. At simplest I recommend take a USB Mouse that can have its buttons configured in Windows (certain Logitech models), rip out its innards, rewire a high-res Encoder in place of the cheapo Mouse Wheel Encoder (the most expensive part - GBP £10 - £40), put it in a box with a big Knob for the Encoder and add three big Buttons in place of the Mouse Buttons. Place the Buttons to fall under your finger-tips around the Knob.

However, as recommended here - the Shuttle Pro fits the bill in that its configuration seems to be based on Keyboard Emulation - not a bad thing as long as the response is fast - and of course, it makes it highly configurable for each individual's tastes, and for differing software. I know that Radio Hams love it because of its configurable for Software Defined Radios. It's also a great price for what it does.

"Grassvalley_PS" - I suspect that the carriage price from the US would match the retail price here in the UK - but thanks all the same for your very generous offer!

I've ordered a Shuttle Pro today, and I'll report back my findings with Edius Pro 9 - and Premier and Audition (just for comparison!). My feelings are that it may not be up to the job in a professional situation. I've designed and built over 600 Video/Sound Studios and Edit Suites, and VT Edited well over 3000 hours of material in my time, so I know what can happen to equipment during a late night edit session with beer and fish'n'chips.....

Take care everyone and Happy New Year

P'Nut

Comment

For those interested - professional 1" chinagraph editing suite in the 70's. My first studio/edit suite design for EMI Sound & Vision.7-18-2009_147_resize.JPG

Comment

I have Shuttle Pro V2 and have it programmed so all the programs I use have the same buttons. Means going between EDIUS, Vegas or Resolve is the same. However still use the mouse a lot for selections.
                Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Wow! Great historical image! Thanks for sharing!
                  Regards,

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
                  #2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
                  #3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53

Comment

Working...
                  X