Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTX 960 vs edius 8,5.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTX 960 vs edius 8,5.



    Hi, I have a friend who has a pc with I74790K and 32 gb of ram, I would like to sell him my GTX960 2gb, he has installed edius 8.5 pro on windows 7, do you think this 960 is good for editing videos in 3840x2160p?
    Maybe converting MP4 files to DNXhq or canopus?
    thanks.
    I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

  • #2
    Edius 8 does not use the GTX card for anything aside from displaying the GUI. There are a few plugins that can use it for processing however, but 2GB of VRAM is not really enough for UHD processing either. Edius 8 can use the Intel GPU via Quicksync for some video decode and encode, but the Quicksync core in the 4790k is not UHD capable. His best bet for performance while editing is to either convert everything to HQX or use proxy mode, as Edius 8 has to be the WG version to allow for video display scaling, so that isn't an option.
    Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

    Comment


    • #3
      You will get excellent HD editing performance with the 4790K. In 8.5 you do not have the playback resolution dropdown that is in Edius 9.54 or Edius X Workgroup.
      ​​​​​​
      I have my 4790K overclocked and with the resolution dropdown setting to half, I can edit UHD 30p material fairly easy. It gets considerably tougher with UHD 50p/60p.
      If your friend is wanting to primarily edit UHD, he should invest in a new system.
      Last edited by Jerry; 12-25-2020, 11:53 PM.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

      Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

      Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf


      Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BernH View Post
        Edius 8 does not use the GTX card for anything aside from displaying the GUI. There are a few plugins that can use it for processing however, but 2GB of VRAM is not really enough for UHD processing either. Edius 8 can use the Intel GPU via Quicksync for some video decode and encode, but the Quicksync core in the 4790k is not UHD capable. His best bet for performance while editing is to either convert everything to HQX or use proxy mode, as Edius 8 has to be the WG version to allow for video display scaling, so that isn't an option.

        Thanks for your advice.
        I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jerry View Post
          You will get excellent HD editing performance with the 4790K. In 8.5 you do not have the playback resolution dropdown that is in Edius 9.54 or Edius X Workgroup.
          ​​​​​​
          I have my 4790K overclocked and with the resolution dropdown setting to half, I can edit UHD 30p material fairly easy. It gets considerably tougher with UHD 50p/60p.
          If your friend is wanting to primarily edit UHD, he should invest in a new system.



          Thanks for your advice, or an alternative for my friend would be to convert the ultraHD files to dnxHQ so that they are lighter and in this way it could work better, perhaps with a gtx 960 4gb that is little used, instead of my gtx 960 2gb , am I right?
          I with my I7 4790K and the gtx 1660 super 6gb I work the ultraHD in 25p natively without the need to convert the files, both with edius 8.5 pro and with edius X, I'm happy.
          I've never tried to work with 50p but I don't really care.
          I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vladiciu View Post




            Thanks for your advice, or an alternative for my friend would be to convert the ultraHD files to dnxHQ so that they are lighter and in this way it could work better, perhaps with a gtx 960 4gb that is little used, instead of my gtx 960 2gb , am I right?
            I with my I7 4790K and the gtx 1660 super 6gb I work the ultraHD in 25p natively without the need to convert the files, both with edius 8.5 pro and with edius X, I'm happy.
            I've never tried to work with 50p but I don't really care.
            Don't convert to DNx codecs. DNx is an avid codec. HQX is the better choice, that is the grass valley codec that is native to Edius and will perform a bit better than DNx. Once again, an nVidia card is not used by Edius 8 to accelerate editing in any way except for a few plugins such as Neat Video, third party title packages or Robuskey. Regardless of the amount of VRAM, it will not improve basic editing regardless of the codec. Edius X and the latest Edius 9 build are using the nvidia card for some encoding, but decode is still via CPU or QuickSync. Using a less compressed codec like HQX or DNx does require faster hard drives because the drive has to be able to supply the bitrate of the codec to the CPU.
            Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

            Comment


            • #7

              Thanks, I'll take your advice.
              So with edius 8.5 pro, if I only have to cut and sew with native 3840x2160 files, without effects such as neat video or red giant or boris fx, let's say that edius 8 pro works quietly even with the gtx 960 2gb, because it uses the CPU.
              am I right?
              Thanks again.


              However I use all SSDs.
              Last edited by Vladiciu; 12-27-2020, 12:02 PM.
              I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

              Comment


              • #8
                My second system is a 4790K much like yours with 32G RAM but no GPU. Everything runs off the 4790K. For a single track of almost anything it is almost as fast as my Threadripper with 1080Ti for EDIUS. Very different performance for every other NLE I have on the system where the Threadripper and 1080Ti is a lot faster. IF you do not use filters or a lot of PCC that use a GPU you will see no difference with EDIUS with any GPU in your system. With EDIUS X a NVIDIA GPU can be used for export encoding and you will see a difference with PCC and filter use. Until EDIUS uses the GPU more effectively Intel CPU is the choice for EDIUS. However as PC investment Intel is not the best choice at the moment as AMD is faster at everything from games to productivity.
                Ron Evans

                Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17


                Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                  My second system is a 4790K much like yours with 32G RAM but no GPU. Everything runs off the 4790K. For a single track of almost anything it is almost as fast as my Threadripper with 1080Ti for EDIUS. Very different performance for every other NLE I have on the system where the Threadripper and 1080Ti is a lot faster. IF you do not use filters or a lot of PCC that use a GPU you will see no difference with EDIUS with any GPU in your system. With EDIUS X a NVIDIA GPU can be used for export encoding and you will see a difference with PCC and filter use. Until EDIUS uses the GPU more effectively Intel CPU is the choice for EDIUS. However as PC investment Intel is not the best choice at the moment as AMD is faster at everything from games to productivity.

                  Thanks again for your helpful wise advice.
                  How would I do without you in this forum?
                  Thanks again.
                  I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vladiciu View Post


                    Thanks again for your helpful wise advice.
                    How would I do without you in this forum?
                    Thanks again.

                    Sorry I have a doubt, if edius 8.5. uses the processor and not the video card, I wonder a pc like this below

                    https://www.ebay.it/itm/12-CORE-48GB...6%7El&LH_BIN=1


                    which has 12 cores then edius 8.5. it must be blazing fast with monstrous performance and much higher than my i7 4790k 4 core!
                    or am I wrong?
                    thanks.


                    I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vladiciu View Post


                      Sorry I have a doubt, if edius 8.5. uses the processor and not the video card, I wonder a pc like this below

                      https://www.ebay.it/itm/12-CORE-48GB...6%7El&LH_BIN=1


                      which has 12 cores then edius 8.5. it must be blazing fast with monstrous performance and much higher than my i7 4790k 4 core!
                      or am I wrong?
                      thanks.

                      A system like that would work good for less compressed codecs like Prores, DNxHD, HQX, etc., but edius does use intels QuickSync for H264 and H265 decode, and encode. If the CPU/QuickSync core is new enough to supprt H265 it will also work with UHD. Xeon CPU's like those in the Z800 don't have QuickSync, so the decode/encode of those codecs is much more taxing on the CPU. Those XEON CPU's in the Z800 are also quite old, probably about the same age as your 4790K, maybe even a bit older, and at the time the 4790K was often a better choice for Edius, which is why so many of us were/are using them.

                      Once again, until Edius has better nVidia/AMD GPU support, a new intel CPU with Quicksync is probably the best choice for editing performance if you want to edit the native H264.H264 files. Personally though, I would hold off to see where the GPU support is going for a little while and just convert all files to HQX and/or use proxy mode, before committing to another computer if the one that you have will do the job with the file conversions or proxy mode workflow.
                      Edius WG 9.54.6706, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BernH View Post

                        A system like that would work good for less compressed codecs like Prores, DNxHD, HQX, etc., but edius does use intels QuickSync for H264 and H265 decode, and encode. If the CPU/QuickSync core is new enough to supprt H265 it will also work with UHD. Xeon CPU's like those in the Z800 don't have QuickSync, so the decode/encode of those codecs is much more taxing on the CPU. Those XEON CPU's in the Z800 are also quite old, probably about the same age as your 4790K, maybe even a bit older, and at the time the 4790K was often a better choice for Edius, which is why so many of us were/are using them.

                        Once again, until Edius has better nVidia/AMD GPU support, a new intel CPU with Quicksync is probably the best choice for editing performance if you want to edit the native H264.H264 files. Personally though, I would hold off to see where the GPU support is going for a little while and just convert all files to HQX and/or use proxy mode, before committing to another computer if the one that you have will do the job with the file conversions or proxy mode workflow.




                        Thanks, for your info, but Quicksync works for edius x right?
                        But what if I used edius 8.5 instead. pro? would anything change?
                        Thanks again.












                        I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At the moment the best choice for using any version of EDIUS is a modern Intel CPU with integrated GPU to get QS support. Because QS is the only way EDIUS can give hardware decode support for timeline editing. Adding a separate GPU will give support for filters including PCC and with EDIUX will give export hardware acceleration using NVIDIA GPU. If you only use EDIUS this combination would be the best at the moment. As I have said this is likely not the best PC build for almost anything else.
                          Ron Evans

                          Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                          ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17


                          Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                            At the moment the best choice for using any version of EDIUS is a modern Intel CPU with integrated GPU to get QS support. Because QS is the only way EDIUS can give hardware decode support for timeline editing. Adding a separate GPU will give support for filters including PCC and with EDIUX will give export hardware acceleration using NVIDIA GPU. If you only use EDIUS this combination would be the best at the moment. As I have said this is likely not the best PC build for almost anything else.

                            I understand they are PCs of old architecture and therefore better leave them alone.
                            thanks.
                            I7 4790K-32 gb RAM-RX580 8gb-SSD 256gb-Windows 10 pro-Edius8.5-Lumix GH2 Moon T8-Lumix FZ1000-

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Intel works fine and is the best current choice for EDIUS. But yes they are still on an old process and have lost ground to AMD which is now faster and cheaper. However if EDIUS is the only program used Intel is still the best choice today. Maybe next year if EDIUS gets to use GPU's for decode that will not be true as the load will shift to GPU then the most powerful GPU will be the choice to make.
                              Ron Evans

                              Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

                              ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17


                              Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X