windows 8 laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 8 laptop

buying an hp laptop to load edius 6.07 on as my second.
    unfortunately all im seeing in a 17inch I7 processor is
    the HP Envy, touchscreen. How well or bad does edius work with windows 8 and will the touchscreen be a pain to deal with.
    thx

EDIUS 6.07 will not install in Win8, you need 6.52 or later

I would stay clear of touch screen because you will be cleaning your screen all day long, use the mouse instead, also, demand the laptop with Win7, it is a faster OS than Win8, far less clicking to confirm admin requests

if you buy at Dell, you can choose Win7 or Win8 for any laptop model
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I'd have to disagree, I've been using Win 8 for about 9 months now on my laptop. I still don't like it personally but had to learn it for work, but don't find it slower than Win 7 and if you turn off UAC like most of us did under Win 7 then you don't get any more Admin requests than under Win 7 on day to day usage.
      I do agree with about touchscreens though, on a laptop it's just a gimmick as pretty much all software still uses the keyboard and mouse so there's no real advantage to having a touch screen
      DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

actually, I have UAC all the way to the bottom on my Win8 drive and I do get admin requests all the time, I don't get them on my Win7 drive
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Must be something strange on your setup, I've been running a few systems with Win 8 and rarely get Admin requests unless I'm installing something. On standard day to day usage I never get Admin requests
          Last edited by Adbear; 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM.
          DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

strange, David Clarke from DVC UK gets the same admin issues
            Anton Strauss

Comment

That's not quite what he said to me when I spoke to him yesterday, but I'll leave him to speak for himself

Comment

I'm not getting them, either. I've been using Win 8 since release and enjoying it.
                Jeff Chandler
                High School Broadcast Adviser
                Freelance videographer & editor

Comment

the only way to disable it for good is by disabling this
                  http://i.stack.imgur.com/dhMyH.jpg

this will however destroy all metro apps from running
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

But for standard everyday usage you shouldn't need to do that. Only time I get Admin requests is either when I'm installing something or when I try to access a protected area on the C Drive (which I rarely have to do as it's not an everyday thing). Under normal usage and accessing folders anywhere else I never get a message

Comment

Originally posted by Adbear View Post
                      But for standard everyday usage you shouldn't need to do that. Only time I get Admin requests is either when I'm installing something or when I try to access a protected area on the C Drive (which I rarely have to do as it's not an everyday thing). Under normal usage and accessing folders anywhere else I never get a message
                      I don't use PCs for standard every day use :)

I constantly test things so I often rename plugins etc and I am constantly agreeing to admin requests, very frustrating when I am already the admin
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                        I don't use PCs for standard every day use :)

I constantly test things so I often rename plugins etc and I am constantly agreeing to admin requests, very frustrating when I am already the admin
                        Then if you don't use a Win 8 system as a normal everyday user you can't really be giving out information on standard usage. What you do is not the same as a normal user. As stated earlier, under normal everyday usage you rarely if ever get Admin requests

Comment

admin requests are only part of the issues, there are many other problems like broken search

example, type system information in the search and it won't be found

try and make a system image, and you have to revert to the legacy Win7 image backup which is well hidden so users can't find it

I can write a book about Win8, but this is my last comment on this subject so I don't offend Win8 lovers
                          Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                            admin requests are only part of the issues, there are many other problems like broken search

example, type system information in the search and it won't be found

try and make a system image, and you have to revert to the legacy Win7 image backup which is well hidden so users can't find it

I can write a book about Win8, but this is my last comment on this subject so I don't offend Win8 lovers
                            It is found in search, it's just on the right hand side you have to chose which section it's searching in, change from 'Apps' to 'Settings', alternatively just hold down the Windows key and hit 'Pause'

As to the backup, not hard to find in the Control panel

Comment

Originally posted by Adbear View Post
                              It is found in search, it's just on the right hand side you have to chose which section it's searching in, change from 'Apps' to 'Settings', alternatively just hold down the Windows key and hit 'Pause'

As to the backup, not hard to find in the Control panel
                              yes, but standard users will not find it, I am sure you agree
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X