BlackMagic Cinema Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackMagic Cinema Camera

Is there a workflow in Edius that is compatible with this camera?
    Mark Williams
    [email protected]
    http://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    http://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29
    Edius 8 WG, i7 6700K, Asus 170-A mobo, 16 GB Ram, System 960 Evo M.2, Video multiple 850 Evo SSDs, Shadow Rock Slim cpu cooler, On board graphics, Corsair 400c case, HD Spark, Windows 10, Panasonic GH5

Other than drag and drop? I don't see a big deal. It records Avid, ProRes and its native format too.
    Very sexy and a bargain 2.5k camera! Perhaps on my horizon.
    Last edited by Rusty; 04-16-2012, 11:06 PM.
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

So an Avid DNxHD or ProRes file plays nice when dropped on the Edius 5.5 timeline? Sorry I have no experience with either as I use .mfx files.
      Mark Williams
      [email protected]
      Edius 8 WG, i7 6700K, Asus 170-A mobo, 16 GB Ram, System 960 Evo M.2, Video multiple 850 Evo SSDs, Shadow Rock Slim cpu cooler, On board graphics, Corsair 400c case, HD Spark, Windows 10, Panasonic GH5

Comment

Yup. Pretty sweet! Edius with a roundhouse kick!

Now bow to your sensei!
        Rusty Rogers | Films
        >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
        >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
        Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

I saw this earlier and it looks very interesting for that price point. Should work great with Edius.
          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Did you see this AMAZING new camera?

Am not sure where to post this news, but free to move it if not the proper place :)

Ya gotta see this CINEMA camera for under $4K !
            http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...camera/design/

Anyone has one of these?
            Also, does Edius able to handle these type of raw files?

Comment

Originally posted by mark williams View Post
              Is there a workflow in Edius that is compatible with this camera?
              I've been looking at this today. I think the workflow that Brown Magic intend for you is that you run your footage via Resolve first.

I'd personally shoot to CinemaDNG RAW, then do a approx grade fixing obvious issues like blow outs or bringing out shadows. Basically the whole camera-workflow-logic is about re-exposing the shots in post instead of in-camera (where you might be in a hurry or not have a reference monitor). I'd also spot check and probably do a scene selection sweep - think of it as developing your film or importing your RAW photos from a DSLR. I'd also do any Stabilization at the 2.5k level and maybe the odd reframe (although Edius resize algorithm is pretty good) . Remember - this camera is not designed for a fast turn around workflow in it's high quality mode!!

I'd export my "fixed" clips to HQX 10bit at 2.5k... or maybe 1080p (esp if using stabilizer). Then do the edit in Edius. I'd also do any subtle color grades (aka. smaller shifts / offsets) in Edius for the Real Time performance and ability to have titles and overlay stacked. If anything needed pushing in the grade to the point of break up - I'd go back to Resolve and re-output my rushes to the same file names (with Edius closed!) People can jump on their high-horse all they want about "keeping it raw" but the truth is HQX is good as a format that you can push and pull (sensibly). And besides - how are you going to edit from CinemaDNG anyway? You have to remember this new camera shoots 5MB a frame = 1000 mbit a sec @ 25fps!! It's got to be crunched down to something smaller first. Otherwise it's going to be 1996 all over again and you'll have to render every dissolve (Miro DC10 anyone?!)

MY question would be can Resolve generate 10bit HQX files without passing them though an 8bit layer? What's happening with RGB to YUV conversions? Is there any pixel value quantisation or loss of gradients as a result? Realistically, as long as we can go Resolve > HQ in 10bit with an image which is looking "about right" (maybe a bit flat to give some options) then it should look fine with 1024 values of luma / colour. Any loss or quantization of values due to colour space conversion/s probably won't be noticed. And THAT for me is good enough so that I can archive my rushes in HQX and maybe do a consolidate of an Edius project if it's 1000's of shots. For extra special shoots, I might keep the CinemaDNG files.

As far as Edius taking the 12bit CinemaDNG files directly - there isn't any point. If you are shooting for fast turn around then shoot Prores or DNxHD format and apply a correction curve in-camera. (as initially suggested) The whole advantage of 12bit is the extreme push / pull that can be done in post with those extra bits - but most of your bracketed image could actually be within a small bracket of that range - maybe only 7 - 8 bits of the total image(!!). You really need a super-precise colour tool for that... which brings us back to Resolve. Edius is about speed at a sensible bit depth - it just happens to grade quite well with a little TLC.

So, my short answer: IMHO the best workflow = CinemaDNG > Resolve (included with camera) > HQX > Edius

Great if you have time up your sleeve or for productions with minimum shots.

Of course, I'll still be shooting 95% of my work on an XDCAM and getting it looking right IN-Camera!! Polarizing filters, grad filters and ND gels exist for a reason and ultimately save time which is money. Although for $3000 I'll buy one of these as a 2nd camera / for fun because at a dollar-to-pixel ratio, it doesn't even come close to making cents. (shocker!)
              Last edited by cybertrix; 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM. Reason: a few confusing sentences!
              AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / 32GB / RTX2070 / 4TB SSD / Storm --- Edius user since version 1.5 and StormEdit before that!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response. I think for my needs shooting in DNxHD and color correcting in Edius would be adequate. But it would be nice to learn how to shoot raw and use Resovle for any "high-end" project that came up.
                Mark Williams
                [email protected]

Comment

EDIUS supports RED raw files, so it should support Camera RAW also. It edits anything right? I'd rather have no reason to use other software...proxy modes are gonna help with this :)
                  When I go out, I wear my EDIUS T-Shirt.

Comment

Working...
                  X