Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lan storage for working on the same project

Hello,

I would like to ask You if anyone of you tried to use lan storage with connected discs and to use it for work on several computers at the same time.

Do you know the configuration which would handle such data read operations?
    The storage manufacture, disc configuration, etc ...?

Thans for posts in advance

Take 12 drives, put into some tower case, use good RAID controller (eg Areca) with RAID 5. Put eg 8 port gigabit card and connect each workstation through dedicated 1gbit connection. Simple, easy to do and cheap solution. Allows to work with HD files using HQ codec- even few layers.
    Other solutions will be 10gbit ethernet, fibre with some SAN softwar, but this is complicated and cost are few x higher.

You can look at DDP solutions:

http://www.dynamicdrivepool.com/

If you can afford than it's good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by xor2 View Post
      Hello,

I would like to ask You if anyone of you tried to use lan storage with connected discs and to use it for work on several computers at the same time.

if all networked computers are working on the same project at the same time, how will the work be saved? I would say that only the first to open can save and the others are in read only mode, so whatever they do will be pointless?

unless I am missing the point
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
        if all networked computers are working on the same project at the same time, how will the work be saved? I would say that only the first to open can save and the others are in read only mode, so whatever they do will be pointless?

unless I am missing the point
        Yes- but you can always save with different name. It can be done, bit not sure if I like idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Kover3D View Post
          Yes- but you can always save with different name. It can be done, bit not sure if I like idea.
          This way you'll need to schedule time for a group meeting to discus who is working on what sequence, if not, it will be become one big mess with many versions :)
          Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
          EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
          wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Unless I'm missing the point, I dont think he means working off the same project but just a central storage of files for different projects.

I have 4 to 5 local hard drives with different drive letters on each of the 3 edit stations across a gigabit lan.
            These are all shared and mapped across each workstation. Each drive letter is unique but sitting on PC1, for example, drive G is mapped to the local drive G on PC2.
            This way you can open any project from any of the PCs and the files could be located anywhere. Works great for HD.
            NAS's are too slow. The fastest is probably QNAP according to the specs but I have not tested it.
            Raja Singh
            Sadha Video
            UK
            1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
            2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
            3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
            Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Hello,

I Have 7 Edius Workstations and 2 FCPs all connected to a central high performace RAID6 NAS using GBit ethernet only...the NAS is used to centrally store and serve MEDIA files and all projects are created on local workstation drives. Projects are backed up to NAS nightly. This makes the NAS mainly deal with READ operation and the READ/WRITES happen locally. As the project folders stay releatively small without the MEDIA being stored in them, i've been toying with the idea of using SSD's for local project folders. All the drive mapping on all the Edius Workstations are identical, and this makes moving projects around workstations easy. Editors dont really work on same project at the same time, but do work on different versions of the overall project content. This all seems to work well. Have a smaller portable version of this same setup to do field editing with 4 workstations. Looks very simialar to GV's Workgroup Server Offering.

It is also important to remember, that hard drives are not the only thing that can fail on a NAS box, so keep spares of everthing and do your backups . RAID6 will help protect your data on the drives, but if the RAID card goes down, then you cant get at your data.
              Lab - Edius8.53WG
              ASUS X99 II XEON 2660-V4 14C 64GB GTX1080Ti 2TB SSD RAID0 Win10Pro
              HP ZBook Studio G3 i7 6820HQ 4C 16GB Quadro M1000M 1TB M.2. NVMe Win7Pro
              Prod - Edius8.31WG
              Supermicro DUAL XEON 2630-V4 40C 64GB GTX1080 4TB SSD RAID0 Win10Pro
              ASUS Z170 i7 4670K 4C 16GB GTX980Ti 2TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
              HP Z820 DUAL XEON 2660 16GB FX4000 STORM 3G 1TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
              HP Z800 DUAL XEON 5650 16GB FX3800 STORM 3G 1TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
              HP NW8740 i7 8GB FX2800 STORM 3G ELITE 2TB RAID5 Win7Pro

Comment

Thank you for the answer.

Could You please tell me if you have some specification of the equipment, model version, price, etc that I could take a look in the internet?
                Or Could you just make a list of all necessary assemblies?

Thank You

Originally posted by gazzar View Post
                I Have 7 Edius Workstations and 2 FCPs all connected to a central high performace RAID6 NAS using GBit ethernet only...the NAS is used to centrally store and serve MEDIA files and all projects are created on local workstation drives. Projects are backed up to NAS nightly. This makes the NAS mainly deal with READ operation and the READ/WRITES happen locally. As the project folders stay releatively small without the MEDIA being stored in them, i've been toying with the idea of using SSD's for local project folders. All the drive mapping on all the Edius Workstations are identical, and this makes moving projects around workstations easy. Editors dont really work on same project at the same time, but do work on different versions of the overall project content. This all seems to work well. Have a smaller portable version of this same setup to do field editing with 4 workstations. Looks very simialar to GV's Workgroup Server Offering.

It is also important to remember, that hard drives are not the only thing that can fail on a NAS box, so keep spares of everthing and do your backups . RAID6 will help protect your data on the drives, but if the RAID card goes down, then you cant get at your data.

Comment

Thank you for the answer.

Could You please tell me if you have some specification of the equipment, model version, price, etc that I could take a look in the internet?
                  Or Could you just make a list of all necessary assemblies?

Thank You
                  I dont mind giving you a full spec and ballpark costings for the sytems i installed, but as it is not specifically GV Edius related i ask you to PM me.
                  Lab - Edius8.53WG
                  ASUS X99 II XEON 2660-V4 14C 64GB GTX1080Ti 2TB SSD RAID0 Win10Pro
                  HP ZBook Studio G3 i7 6820HQ 4C 16GB Quadro M1000M 1TB M.2. NVMe Win7Pro
                  Prod - Edius8.31WG
                  Supermicro DUAL XEON 2630-V4 40C 64GB GTX1080 4TB SSD RAID0 Win10Pro
                  ASUS Z170 i7 4670K 4C 16GB GTX980Ti 2TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
                  HP Z820 DUAL XEON 2660 16GB FX4000 STORM 3G 1TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
                  HP Z800 DUAL XEON 5650 16GB FX3800 STORM 3G 1TB SSD RAID0 Win7Pro
                  HP NW8740 i7 8GB FX2800 STORM 3G ELITE 2TB RAID5 Win7Pro

Comment

We just installed a "home made" NAS for 5 of our work stations. We have i7 3770 , ASrock z77 extreme 6 board, ddr3 8G ram, intel 520 120G SSD, Areca 1882ix-24 raid card, we first started with 8 3tb SATA drives on Raid 5 to test. We have 10gb network out of the NAS box, and 1gb for all the work stations. It's smooth when we try to edit with it, but when we try to reopen the project, it takes double of the time to open it than open on the local work station, and the more people edit on the nas the slower for the project to open. Is there any thing or setting we missed? How can we improve the performance? We run windows 2008 sever R2 on the NAS.

Comment

Working...
                    X