Decent horsepower vs EDIUS RT capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent horsepower vs EDIUS RT capabilities

Gents, quick question ... i recently built myself the system which specs you can see below ...

Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
    Motherboard
    ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
    Memory (RAM)
    16GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
    Graphics Card
    1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk
    240GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
    RAID 0
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    3rd Hard Disk
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    4th Hard Disk
    Power Supply
    600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

You need to bear on mind that the clips are located in the RAID, which is giving me around 180Mbps Read and about 140 MBps write ...

Now, i got the EDIUS trial and tried the following scenarios

1) 1 layer of HD footage at 1920x1080 60p - plays back Real Time without a hiccup.
    2) EDIUS cannot playback a PIP of 2 clips with that specs.

Why, though? The throughput of the RAID is more than enough, 'cause the bitrate of the clips are just under 30Mbps each ... that would be 60Mbps compared to the 180Mbps that the RAID is capable of ... Not even if i move my clips to the SSD (which can give me over 300Mbps) EDIUS will play it back in RT ...

I increased the buffer up to 512, which is the max ... if i am not mistaken ...

can anyone please shed some light? i looked in these forums for an answer for an hour before registering and asking the question via new thread, if i did not look properly, please point me towards the thread.

Many thanks

What is the media file type?
    Anything else running on your system inthe background (e.g., AV)?
    Are you saying it does NOT play in real time from the SSD?

Comment

Hi, thanks.
      The files are .MOV and with 16GB of RAM and virtually anything running in the background, i am left with something like 14GB RAM free.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Just as a test, covert a file to Canopus HQ and let us know the results.

(right click file in bin, select convert, doesn't affect the original file, just makes a new one.)

Paul :-)
        Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Hey Pablo, gracias.

I will get that done and will get back at ya!

Will this have an impact on the performance observed?

This system should have played those 2 original files in PIP outright without the need to further transcode them. one would have thought so ...

Thanks again.

Comment

what were the files shot with?

Paul :-)
            Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Artbeats HD footage ...

Comment

As Anton suggested, some .mov files will cause EDIUS problems. Convert to Canopus HQ and you are good to go.
                1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
                  As Anton suggested, some .mov files will cause EDIUS problems. Convert to Canopus HQ and you are good to go.

Pat, you are good, I was thinking it but did not type it, very good mind reader

what else am I thinking right now :) ?
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post

LOL, I guess I was reading too many Anton posts along with the PM I sent you. Plus is is before 7 am here. ;-)
                    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post

BEER? ......
                      Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
                      EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

After i work out what's going on, shall we? :-)

Comment

Well guys, this now RT at its best .... i converted the files to CANOPUS HQ ONLINE QUALITY ... i am not a computer literate, but please allow me to ask you 3 questions:

1) Is this a lossless conversion? (Bitrate seems to be the same)

2) Does this conversion keeps Alpha channel?

Guys, i can play several layers in RT (above 7 layers of these clips in CANOPUS HQ) ... again, i can only find an explanation only if there's a catch somewhere ... i am all ears .... please, can you respond to my 2 questions above ???

Regards

Comment

Not lossless. If you use Canopus Lossless codec than it's 100% lossless (if source is not 10bit). In the same time HQ quality is very good and as long as you not grading AVATAR 2 than you don't have to worry to much. If you have Edius 6 than use HQX with Super Fine- this is on pair (or above) HDCAM-SR quality and still great RT performance. HQ keeps alpha.

If Edius has to use QT for decoding than performance is very bad- avoid it. Avoid QT overall on Windows. Only some uncompressed codecs works fine (YUY2 RGB, v210...) as Edius decodes them using its own engine.

Comment

Thanks mate, i appreciate it ... when you said convert the .MOV files to CANOPUS HQ ONLINE QUALITY, you meant by the process of right clicking and then selecting that option ? The option HQX is nowhere to be found within that context menu.

So what you are saying is, that i should have converted those .MOV files somewhere into the HQX then edit it ... or simply, that when capture, i should capture using the HQX into the timeline, making the RT performance still be good.

Sorry if i got it wrong ...

Regards
                              Last edited by cesar; 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X