Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on GPU

hi there,

I'm planning on working with Edius 5.12. For this I want to upgrade my graphics card. I am looking for a single slot card with 1Gig of (preferably DDR3) memory.

It would be great if the card is both quiet and with relatively low power consumption. I don't play games, i just want great effects performance in Edius.

Any suggestions?
    thanks a lot

Check put NVidia cards from say GTX260 up to the GTX295, you can pick them up pretty cheap now, check out EBay.... or wait a little while for the new 300 series NVidia cards, due soon.

Steve
    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

I have a slightly different problem. 99% of the graphic cards these days all occupy the physical space required by 2 slots. I can't release the spare slot because my PC slots are all fully occupied. Any good graphic cards you know that only occupy one physical slot?

*** Addition ***
      Just checked up Nvidia website - the new 310 card will fit this bill (if it really occupies only 1 slot width). Hoping ...
      tingsern
      Last edited by tingsern; 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM.
      TingSern
      --------------------------------------
      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by tingsern View Post
        I have a slightly different problem. 99% of the graphic cards these days all occupy the physical space required by 2 slots. I can't release the spare slot because my PC slots are all fully occupied. Any good graphic cards you know that only occupy one physical slot?

*** Addition ***
        Just checked up Nvidia website - the new 310 card will fit this bill (if it really occupies only 1 slot width). Hoping ...
        That is precisely my problem too. i would like a graphics card for just one slot. It seems that ATI has some but I don't know how they perform with Edius 5.12

Apparently most Edius users have NVidea cards, is that because of compatibility issues with ATI?

Comment

As far as I know there are no Edius compatibility problems with ATI cards, as many of us here are system builders we have come around issues for me with the drivers, hardware I have no real issues so far.
          I think similar goes for the CPU, once one is bitten before you tend to be twice shy :)
          No ill feelings towards AMD but not for me .......

P.s. I am not brand concious (enough) to stick with A while B is better performing at the time of purchase, same goes for software.
          I have no problems to switch camp for both, at the time of upgrade or new build, cost of course is always a small factor :)

Comment

Originally posted by art2work4 View Post
            That is precisely my problem too. i would like a graphics card for just one slot. It seems that ATI has some but I don't know how they perform with Edius 5.12

Apparently most Edius users have NVidea cards, is that because of compatibility issues with ATI?
            My ATI 4850 card works great. Edius will work just fine with either ATI or NVidea. I don't think anyone has ever reported compatibility issues with ATI cards.
            Tom Koveleskie - Director/Producer/Editor
            Quarter Town Films - Independent Feature and Documentary Films.

Edius 8 WG with HDSpark, AMD 8 core FX 8370 Black Edition 4.3 GHZ, MSI 970A Krait Edition, 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI graphics, Win 10 X64.

Comment

Working...
            X