Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limit to number of sequences in project before crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit to number of sequences in project before crash?

I'm trying to resolve a problem our editors are having with constant crashes in V4 for broadcast.

We build news shows in induvidual project folders, and each story is edited as a sequence. This keeps a consistant workflow, helps with housekeeping, and allows us to use hardware playout from an edit machine to air if the main playout servers crash.

I'm getting reports from the editors, that Edius is consistantly crashing several of the machines set up this way. I've found no hardware problems, and cannot recreate it myself just doing some basic editing, but it is doing it at least 3 times a day, usually in the middle of crunch time right before a newscast.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a limit to the number of sequences that can be set up with tabs on the timeline. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm clutching at straws.

My Edius 4 pro at home has never crashed no matter what I throw at it, except I don't typically have more than 3 or 4 sequences active at one time - at work they usually have at least 10 or more in a project.

EDIT: By crashing, I'm referring to hearing that Edius just freezes and they have to do a reboot to get things back

Tom

Just finished a project with 26 sequences without a hitch.
    I'd look for flaky VST's
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      Just finished a project with 26 sequences without a hitch.
      I'd look for flaky VST's
      Rusty, no VSTs.

Are you running in OHCI mode, or is there hardware in your setup?

Comment

I think if you provided the following maybe we can get a better idea what is going on:
        1 Provide a screen shot of memory usage (task manager) when you have you 26 sequence tab project
        2 Can you give us system details
        3 Project details and source footage details
        4 Network details.
        Steve
        EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
        A proud EDIUS EDITOR
        For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

I did a recent project that had 77 sequences. No problems with crashes. Using NX hardware here

Comment

Do you have this setup thru the K2 server? If I knew your setup and workflow I might be able to help.

Comment

Lets not forget that Tom reports that the systems are using 4 broadcast.

Tom can you also post correct version info?
              Steve
              A proud EDIUS EDITOR
              For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Yes, I know. I sent him a PM asking several more in depth questions.

Comment

Good to know. :)
                  Steve
                  A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Originally posted by SRsupport View Post
                    Good to know. :)

Hi guys. i have not been on the forum last several days. Sorry for late response.

Well, we purchased a full newsroom editing and on-air playback turnkey solution from BitCentral, an outfit very big into this kind of thing. We are set up a little different than the typical editing environment outside of broadcast news. Having used Edius for years at home made me the resident "expert" LOL. I'm actually in the technical support end of things at work, and do all of my creative stuff outside of my main job.

We are using HP Workstations, dual QuadCore, and Edius really smokes on them. We import P2 footage from Panasonic cameras, and edit in SD 16x9. We will eventually go true high def in the near future, but for now, the playout servers upconvert the SD to HD for on-air playback. We have a central media server that holds all of the footage, and editing of the footage is done from 7 Edius workstations editing the footage across a 1 Gigabit LAN, so all of the project footage is stored, edited and played back from the timeline across the LAN. As you can imagine, the central server is a real honker. Once the footage is edited, the timeline is exported using a proprietary method that converts the video to mpg, "attaches" the footage to placeholders in the news scripts, and goes to an intermediate storage location. Then a producer or director loads a story into a playout channel, and it is ready to be aired.

The two edit bays that do the heaviest editing have internal Canopus SHX-E2 cards with the breakout boxes. I'm trying to narrow down whether the issue is only in those two bays with that hardware, or in the others as well. The show editors use those two bays, and the reporters edit their stories in the other 5 bays. They typically do not open multiple sequences, and they operate OHCI only.

There was a thread on the Edius Pro forum that mentioned sluggishness in some cases with multiple sequences used, so I'm trying to run things down.

Tom

Comment

Oh, we are running Broadcast Version 4.61.

I've attached the only error messgae that has popped up so far - real descriptive . . . . .
                      Attached Files

Comment

Same Problem Here

I have been struggling with this problem for the past few months here at my facility. We recently "upped" our story content in a typical 30 minute newscast and have been experiencing the same exact problems as described in this thread. The crashes started to happen after the change... a change that resulted in more sequences being open in a single project.

We have the exact same setup from Bitcentral as described in this thread.

Any resolution to this? I would like to know...

Thx,
                        Thomas E Morales
                        Executive Producer, Operations
                        KCOY & KKFX Television

Comment

Originally posted by thomasmorales View Post
                          I have been struggling with this problem for the past few months here at my facility. We recently "upped" our story content in a typical 30 minute newscast and have been experiencing the same exact problems as described in this thread. The crashes started to happen after the change... a change that resulted in more sequences being open in a single project.

We have the exact same setup from Bitcentral as described in this thread.

Any resolution to this? I would like to know...

Thx,
                          Thomas E Morales
                          Executive Producer, Operations
                          KCOY & KKFX Television
                          Check your PM
                          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Working...
                          X