Mpeg sync problem...and solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpeg sync problem...and solution!

After installing Edius 5 I ticked the 'don't use PTS' checkbox to avoid green frames when using DiscCapure for mpeg grabbing. But when I played mpeg files on the timeline they were all either out of sync or produced a kind of echo effect. First I thought that it had something to do with the encoded audio but the solution was simple: unticking the 'don't use PTS' checkbox. Hope this helps.

The DTS/PTS stamps in the MPEG stream are used to maintain sync, so it is best to only enable Don't use PTS when it is absolutely necessary.

In a perfect world, there are no missing or extra samples, but when there are missing or extra samples,the PTS stamps ensure things don't fall out of sync. If you don't use the PTS stamps and there are missing or extra samples, then things will fall out of sync.

Comment

Anyway, it has been said to tick the box (=don't use PTS) to avoid the green frame phenomenom. So that's a tricky one.

Comment

Green frame comes when the decoded data cannot be presented at the given presentation time. The Decode TimeStamp (DTS) determines when the data needs to be decoded by in order for it to be properly displayed at the Presentation TimeStamp (PTS).

Green frame can also be caused by data-fetching latency caused by storage controller or network.

Comment

so what is the solution?

tick the 'don't use PTS' in order to edit and untick before exporting?
          Aristotelis Bafaloukos
          Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
          BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

If you see green when editing, you'll likely get green when exporting as well.

The "solution" is to only enable "Don't use PTS" when you absolutely need to. Normally it should be disabled.

The future solution would be to allow ignoring PTS on a per-clip basis, but that's for a feature request.

Comment

So, if you see green screen with an mpeg file the only risk free solution is to convert the file before importing it to edius...
              otherwise you might end up with sync problems...correct?
              Aristotelis Bafaloukos
              Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
              BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

Correct, but this should be a rarity.

Comment

I had an eight DVD box set project to compile for a client from other DVD assets – I was able to use disc capture but I had to ‘don’t use PTS’ to avoid the green frame.

Every file was between 4 and 15 frames out of sync.

Not tried this with version 5 yet
                  Supermicro X6DAE-G2 - 2x Dual Core Xeon 3.2 Ghz, 4G ram, SP Breakout Box, Nvidia GTX260, win xp pro. CS4. Mackie HR824 audio monitoring, Audient ASP510 Surround Sound Controller + smaller bits..

Comment

what would be ideal is a disc capture solution that converts to HQ or DV on the fly

I find editing mpeg and ac3 files such a drag

for now, I capture all DVD via component through my SP board direct to Canopus HQ, great results, never out of sync
                    Anton Strauss
                    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Anton, I often used the ProCoderExpress to convert DVD's to DV.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                        Anton, I often used the ProCoderExpress to convert DVD's to DV.
                        there is no such thing in Edius5
                        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Also works with PC3. Or if you have NeroVision.

Comment

I tried PC3 and often have problems with audio going out of sync over time especially when coming from NTSC and going to Pal

with Edius SP, I simply capture as NTSC HQ right inside a Pal D1 project and all is perfect

the process is realtime but not faster, but the results are giuaranteed, no need for second and third attempts
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

Have you tried checking the other option of Get Timecode From GOP Header either instead of or in conjunction with not using PTS?

Comment

Working...
                              X